WG112 "Naked Crossroads" also know as Porzio's first SL game in 30 years!

dpor...@cox.net

Jan 30, 2013, 8:19:28 PM1/30/13
to squad-le...@googlegroups.com
After discovering this glorious SL community existed, I immediately hooked up with veteran SL player Barry I. It was intended to be a "less competitive" instructional game. Make no mistake, I still wanted to win. The scenario, WG112 is one draw up by Bill T of SQLA and pits an undersized company of Americans against a probing company of regular Wermacht who have been instructed to take and hold a vital crossroads in the Ardennes in order to clear a path for the Panzer armor fist to pass through in the last great hope of the German army against the western Allies.

dpor...@cox.net

Jan 30, 2013, 8:36:39 PM1/30/13
to squad-le...@googlegroups.com
It would seem I cannot post images so I will give a quick rundown of the game. Victory conditions were VP's and Germans simply has to have more. 2 VP for a stone building originally occupied by the American as well as a wooden one worth 1 VP also under initial American control. 1 VP awarded for inflicting 2:1 casualties. Scenario was 7 turns but the VP were to be awarded at the end of turn 6. If the building was locked in Melee, no VP were awarded to either side. The action was back and forth throughout most of the game. I had made a terribly flawed setup in which I did not utilize the cover of an irregular snowdrift. Regardless as we got to turn 4 I had my opening. I Had neutralized a key MMG nest in the woods near the stone building as was able to transport a SQ and 7-0 Ldr in a HT to take the position and put pressure on the stone Bldg (SB). It fell and by turn 5 I had seized control of the coveted VP location with a single SQ and 7-0 leader. Turn 6 was the key as Barry I was able to break the SQ in the SB leaving the 7-0 Ldr to man the MMG at 1/2 FP. He rushed his own 7-0 Ldr through open ground to the doorstep of the building. I failed to stop him with an 8FP -2 and a 4 FP -2 attacks. He passed an MC1 by rolling a 6 and the two 7-0 leaders engaged in hand-to-hand combat. Neither side was successful in CC and the hex became a Melee thus denying me the VP's and giving BI the win. It was most frustrating as my previously enfuego dice rolling went stone cold with my attacks on the 7-0 leader. It was a truly exciting match and exemplifies why SL is more than just shooting at someone. Good tactics and some luck rule the day!. Pk noww someone just needs to show me how to post pictures.

Pvt Reese