kernel keeps dying unexpectedly

Davide Floriello

Aug 24, 2016, 11:05:04 AM8/24/16
to spyder
Hello,

my name is Davide and I'm a data scientist in Milan, Italy.

I've been having lots of problems with Spyder, lately.

Basically, I have two scripts: one called "rolling.py" and the other one called "gen_rolling.py". The script "rolling" contains the functions used by "gen_rolling" and it mainly consist of the function called "create_rolling_dataset", that, as the name suggests, creates a particular type of dataset. "gen_rolling", reported below, is just currently using the functions in "rolling" to measure the time taken.

import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
import time
import rolling

data = pd.read_excel("C:/Users/utente/Documents/PUN/Anno.xlsx")
meteo = pd.read_table("C:/Users/utente/Documents/PUN/stor.txt", sep="\t")

start = time.time()
test, y = rolling.create_rolling_dataset(data,"sab", "CSUD",meteo,1,0,24)
end = time.time()
print end-start

The functions in rolling work fine: I checked they work by debugging and by running line-by-line the code. However, when I run the script "gen_rolling" I always get

It seems the kernel died unexpectedly. Use 'Restart kernel' to continue using this console.

Sometimes I get it after I load the data (which is quite a big dataset anyway: almost 52000 rows), sometimes before and some other times after I launch create_rolling_dataset.

I'm using Windows Server 2008 and

Python 2.7.12 |Anaconda 4.1.1 (64-bit)| (default, Jun 29 2016, 11:07:13) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]

I'm really stuck and any help is very much appreciated.

Davide

Nikolay Karelin

Aug 26, 2016, 9:38:37 AM8/26/16
to spyder
Davide,

Have you tried to run your script in usual Python interpreter (just cmd then python.exe rolling.py) or similar in IPyhton console buth without Spyder?

Spyder is just IDE, therefore it is worth to investigate first if your issue is ever related to Spyder.

Nikolay

Davide Floriello

Aug 30, 2016, 12:16:53 PM8/30/16
to spyder
Hi Nikolay,

thank you very much for your your answer. I did try my code in usual Python interpreter  and it's perfectly working.

At this point I'm brought to think it's a Spyder related problem...

Davide Floriello

Aug 31, 2016, 12:02:12 PM8/31/16
to spyder
I've also attached the screenshot of another strange behaviour: as you can see I haven't even typed anything, but the kernel dies...
kernel.png

Carlos Córdoba

Aug 31, 2016, 1:03:00 PM8/31/16
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Please open an issue in our issue tracker with a minimal, reproducible example that shows your problem so we can test it and fix it in our side.

Thanks,
Carlos