IPython Notebook in Spyder?

Wavemaker

Aug 26, 2014, 12:10:54 PM8/26/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hello there,

In this group and in a Scipy conference talk I saw mention that IPython Notebook would be or is integrated in Spyder 2.3. I installed the latest version of WinPython which includes this version of Spyder, but I do not see the IPython notebook. Is it integrated after all, or is it still in development? It is a feature that I find very interesting.

Brgds,

Wavemaker

Carlos Córdoba

Aug 26, 2014, 12:30:16 PM8/26/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I couldn't finish it for 2.3 but it'll be there in 2.4 (to be released next February).

Cheers,
Carlos

Wavemaker

Aug 26, 2014, 2:50:50 PM8/26/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Ok, clear, and thanks! Looking forward to it!

Sylvain Corlay

Aug 27, 2014, 7:40:16 PM8/27/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carlos,
I would love to see this. If you have a working version of it, and you are fine putting it in a PR.
Cheers,

Carlos Córdoba

Aug 28, 2014, 12:19:01 AM8/28/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sylvain,

As soon as I rebase and update my work from last year against latest IPython (i.e. 3.0dev), I'll create a PR and let the list know about it ;-)

I plan to support only 3.0+ because the IPython guys just changed their contents API, so supporting previous versions would be a real headache.

Cheers,
Carlos

Gonzalo A. PEÑA CASTELLANOS

Aug 28, 2014, 3:46:26 AM8/28/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Yes PR this I really want to see this :)

Carlos Córdoba

Aug 28, 2014, 10:23:13 AM8/28/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'll delay 2.3.2 by a month so I can focus on getting this out. Then everyone could start playing with it :-)

Sylvain Corlay

Aug 30, 2014, 2:36:29 PM8/30/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, this is great.

Having a PR open for this feature in Spyder and allowing more people to test might allow us to make the potentially required changes in IPython before 3.0 is released.

Btw, I am getting error messages in the internal console with the new Pandas dataframe editor. Do you plan on releasing 2.3.1 this week end? Otherwise, I can take some time on Monday to try fixing it.

S.

Carlos Córdoba

Aug 31, 2014, 12:46:23 AM8/31/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think all the pieces are there in IPython 3.0, but you're right about doing things with time :-)

I had to delay 2,3,1 a couple of days because I'm finishing to review the tutorial, so if you're seeing errors in our new Pandas support, please submit a PR as soon as you can, so I can include it too in this release.

Cheers,
Carlos

Sylvain Corlay

Sep 1, 2014, 11:30:03 AM9/1/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Done. It was actually a very simple fix.

Joris Van den Bossche

May 14, 2015, 9:07:41 AM5/14/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
What is the status of this? (would be very interested in this!)

Carlos Córdoba

May 14, 2015, 9:32:56 AM5/14/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joris,

I need to re-architecture some internal things before starting to work on the notebook support. I hope to have it ready for Spyder 3.0 (in three or four months).

Cheers,
Carlos

Björn Johansson

May 16, 2015, 5:50:44 AM5/16/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
good work!
eagerly waiting for this feature...
/bjorn

Joel Östblom

Aug 6, 2015, 11:13:55 AM8/6/15
to spyder
Integrated Jupyter notebook support would be another great Spyder feature! Is this still planned for 3.0? I checked out the 3.0 public beta release, but couldn't see it mentioned explicitly, is it part of the Jupyter 4.0 support? If so, I can't seem to figure out how to launch the notebook in Spyder...

Carlos Córdoba

Aug 6, 2015, 11:24:57 AM8/6/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry, we're not going to integrate the notebook in Spyder 3.0. The problem is the notebook is being rewritten right now, so we prefer to wait until that work is finished before moving forward.

Cheers,
Carlos

Stephen Larroque

Feb 4, 2016, 4:18:28 PM2/4/16
to spyder
The rewrite seems to be finished with the release of Jupyter (aka IPython 4).

Milind R

Feb 16, 2016, 7:15:23 AM2/16/16
to spyder
I am also awaiting this feature. I wish I could help though...

Björn Johansson

Aug 12, 2016, 1:04:57 AM8/12/16
to spyder
Hi, I think this would be  feature that could
help making spyder more useful in a teaching environment.

I would certainly use this feature for my courses.

cheers,
bjorn