Spyder + GIT

Nicklas Stockton

Jun 28, 2016, 2:11:04 PM6/28/16
to spyder
I have been using Spyder for a number of years now and love the interface and tools it provides. My current project is hosted on github and proken up into a number of branches. Is there any way to integrate the git workflow into Spyder? At a minimum, is it possible to have Spyder recognize when the current file has changed outside of itself (e.g. when I switch between branches) and give me the option to update the file in editor (or do it automatically)?

Additionally, I was thinking of eventually writing some plugin which would expose some git features like side-by-side editing of files which are in different branches, writing commit messages and pushing, switching branches, etc directly into the Spyder GUI. Do some of these tools already exist in some form or another? Are there similar tools/plugins someone has developed? I don't want to repeat work when there is something already (or the opportunity to collaborate with other devs).

Thanks for any info.
Nick

Nicklas Stockton

Jun 28, 2016, 9:25:50 PM6/28/16
to spyder
NM. Posted a little too hastily. My files actually do update live with external changes in state (though that may be a more of an operating system thing than specific to Spyder. I'm using Xubuntu 14.04).

Would still love to hear about thoughts from others and how they integrate git into their workflow with Spyder.

Carlos Córdoba

Jun 28, 2016, 9:31:37 PM6/28/16
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Spyder integration with git is minimal at the moment: we only provide some commands in the context menu of the Project Explorer, but I don't remember which ones because I don't use them.

In the future we hope to have a proper plugin to show diffs and let you commit files to a git repo. But that is the planning phase :-)

Cheers,
Carlos

Nicklas Stockton

Jun 28, 2016, 11:41:30 PM6/28/16
to spyder
Awesome. I don't know much about the Project Explorer. I'll look into it and also see if I can help out anywhere.

Thanks!
Nick

Gonzalo Peña-Castellanos

Oct 12, 2016, 5:14:38 PM10/12/16
to spyder
Hi Nicklas

As Carlos pointed out, there is some planned work for git (and maybe hg?) integration. I started some preliminary integration as a plugin but since we are making big improvements to the api, that work is on hold for now, but is definitely on the road map.

Cheers, and thanks for using Spyder :-)