Slide file tabs (change order of file tabs)

Hakim Benoudjit

Aug 20, 2016, 11:40:46 AM8/20/16
to spyder
Hi,

Is it possible to slide opened file-tabs in `Spider IDE` (like you would do on Firefox for example) to change their order?
Or at least sort them by the date on which the file was opened instead of sorting them alphabetically.

Thanks.

Dan Codiga

Aug 22, 2016, 9:26:40 AM8/22/16
to spyder
Hello Hakim,

This has been discussed before,

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/spyderlib/xKmS22X6VLo

and my understanding is that there is no way to do it.

I think that including this capability should be a very high priority to include in the very next update/release; however, from what I can tell, implementing it has now been delayed to at least the 3.1 release (note that 3.0 is currently in 4th public beta and should be out soon):

https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/pull/2372

On the other hand the description of the 3.0 release says that it includes this, which I believe (?) the developers are suggesting might be a replacement of sorts:

"A new file switcher: Spyder 3.0 will come with a fancy file switcher, very similar in spirit to the one present in Sublime Text. This is a dialog to select among the open files in the Editor, by doing a fuzzy search through their names. It also lets users to view the list of classes, methods and functions defined in the current file, and select one of them. This dialog is activated with Ctrl+P."

Hope this helps,
Dan

Hakim Benoudjit

Aug 23, 2016, 12:49:46 AM8/23/16
to spyder
Thanks very much Dan for the link, it answers very well my question.