[ANN] Spyder 3.0 fourth public beta release

Carlos Córdoba

Jul 1, 2016, 2:08:52 AM7/1/16
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

On the behalf of Spyder’s development team (https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/graphs/contributors),
I’m pleased to announce the fourth beta of our next major version: Spyder 3.0.

We’ve been working on this version for almost two years now and as far as we know
it’s working very well. There are still several bugs to squash but we encourage all
people who like the bleeding edge to give it a try. This beta version is released
three weeks after our third one and it includes more than 150 commits!

Spyder 3.0 comes with several interesting and exciting new features. The most
important ones are:

  • Support for much more programming languages: Spyder relies now on the excellent Pygments
    library to provide syntax highlight and suggest code completions in the Editor, for all
    programming languages supported by it.
  • A new file switcher: Spyder 3.0 will come with a fancy file switcher, very similar in
    spirit to the one present in Sublime Text. This is a dialog to select among the open
    files in the Editor, by doing a fuzzy search through their names. It also lets users to
    view the list of classes, methods and functions defined in the current file, and select
    one of them. This dialog is activated with Ctrl+P.
  • A Numpy array graphical builder: Users who need to create NumPy arrays in Spyder for
    matrices and vectors can do it now in a graphical way by pressing Ctrl+M in the Editor
    or the Consoles. This will open an empty 2D table widget to be filled with the data
    required by the user.
  • A new icon theme based on FontAwesome.
  • A new set of default pane layouts for those coming from Rstudio or Matlab (under
    View > Window layouts).
  • A simpler and more intuitive way to introduce keyboard shortcuts.
  • Support for PyQt5, which fixes problems in MacOS X and in high definition screens.

For a complete list of changes, please see here:

https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/wiki/Beta-version-changelog

You can easily install this beta if you use Anaconda by running:

conda update qt pyqt
conda install -c spyder-ide spyder==3.0.0b4

Or you can use pip with this command:

pip install --pre -U spyder

Enjoy!
-Carlos

Big Stone

Jul 24, 2016, 10:32:39 AM7/24/16
to spyder
Hi all,

As a complement, here is the link to Carlos Cordoba presentation of Spyder 3.0 made at Scipy 2016