New debugger with rpdb2(winpdb)

Falldog Hsieh

Jan 3, 2014, 12:01:12 PM1/3/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I think spyder is good Python IDE, but defaul pdb is not power enough

I had try winpdb before, and it's debug capability more than spyder
include watch callstack, switch frame, thread debug, ...
winpdb module include rpdb2.py

I had fork the spyderlib in Bitbucket, and modify some code to testing with rpdb2
currently, it's just simple testing, click debug button, it will debug with pdb & rpdb2 at the same time
now could set breakpoints and debug with "step", "next", "continue", "return"

I am not sure it's good choice to implement new debugger with rpdb2
If that is the way, I will keep going
Please leave any suggestion for this, thanks

BTW
Move repository to Bitbucket is very good way!!! :)

Carlos Córdoba

Jan 7, 2014, 10:22:28 AM1/7/14
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is really good! Please send us a pull request when you are ready so
we can to see the benefits of rpdb2 and see if it's worth to include
your work or not.

It's always great to see people wants to help us improve our debugging
capabilities, which still need some love :-) My only suggestion for now
is to include rpdb2 in spyderlib/utils/external and import it from
there, to not depend on having winpdb installed.

Cheers,
Carlos

El 03/01/14 12:01, Falldog Hsieh escribió:

Mike Rans

Mar 17, 2015, 11:02:58 AM3/17/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Falldog,

Did you finish integrating rpdb2? I came across this thread after I submitted this issue: https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/2142 in which I suggested using rpdb2 instead of pdb. (I have previously successfully integrated rpdb2 with the editor Editra in the PyStudio plugin).

I would like to look into this for Spyder, but with a newborn baby it's impossible for me.

Cheers,
Mike