spyder can't find setuptools even though it's looking in the right place

Arturs Elksnis

Jan 4, 2017, 6:59:09 PM1/4/17
to spyder
Hi Everyone,
       I am new to spyder but nonetheless I've got to build a win32 executable of an existing python project at work. So I followed the guidelines I was given-- installed Anaconda, solved dependencies and now I'm stuck with the following problem. When running my setup.py script in spyder, I get this error message:

[quote]
Copying data from package pkg_resources...
An exception has occurred, use %tb to see the full traceback.

SystemExit: error: [Error 3] The system cannot find the path specified: 'C:\\Users\\<my_user_name>\\Anaconda2\\lib\\site-packages\\setuptools-27.2.0-py2.7.egg\\pkg_resources/*.*'
[/quote]

Now, I've looked into the directory that it's complaining about (C:\Users\<my_user_name>\Anaconda2\lib\site-packages\) and it definitely contains "setuptools-27.2.0-py2.7.egg".

The only thing that I've noticed is that the "lib" directory on the HDD is actually called "Lib"-- with capital "L". So the real directory on HDD is: "C:\Users\<my_user_name>\Anaconda2\Lib\site-packages\" however it makes no difference if I manually rename the "Lib" into "lib".

I'd much appreciate if anyone could guide me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Arturs Elksnis

Jan 5, 2017, 9:58:19 AM1/5/17
to spyder
Ok, looks like I managed to fix this problem by installing these two packages in Anaconda:

pkgconfig
setuptools

I don't know which one of them fixed the problem or whether both of them were needed but at least I got further with the compilation process in spyder. Just my two cents if anybody faces a similar problem.

Thanks.

Arturs Elksnis

Jan 5, 2017, 9:58:19 AM1/5/17
to spyder
Oh, and by the way this was the post that gave me the idea about those two packages: