LICENSE

anatoly techtonik

Apr 16, 2015, 4:32:48 AM4/16/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I must say that this is the best LICENSE usage I've ever seen.
Lawyer will be very happy if they'd ever get to that. =)

https://github.com/techtonik/spyder/blob/master/LICENSE

Ghislain Vaillant

Apr 17, 2015, 6:21:42 AM4/17/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Looks very Debian quality style.

Always a pain when upstream provides licensing info for their own
stuff but you still need to track down every single license of the
embedded dependencies and pieces of code re-used here and then.

Kudos indeed.

Carlos Córdoba

Apr 17, 2015, 4:36:46 PM4/17/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this was required by our Debian packager. Glad you like it :-)

Gonzalo Peña-Castellanos

Apr 18, 2015, 5:06:00 AM4/18/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Indeed is great :)

Should not it contain also something like

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Pierre Raybaut
Copyright (c) 2013-2015 The Spyder Development Team

?

Cheers

Carlos Córdoba

Apr 18, 2015, 4:35:37 PM4/18/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Done ;-)

Vaclav Petras

Apr 20, 2015, 10:35:12 AM4/20/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 5:06 AM, Gonzalo Peña-Castellanos <goan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Copyright (c) 2013-2015 The Spyder Development Team

Well, speaking about making layers happy, I think with this there is always the issue that "The Spyder Development Team" is not an official organization. On the other hand, this practice is used a lot and relies on some common sense I guess (outside source code used a lot for Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap).

Gonzalo Peña-Castellanos

Apr 20, 2015, 10:41:04 AM4/20/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

Not sure about the legal implications (lawyer needed) in order to be sure about how it works.

I guess there should be some place where the notion of "Spyder Development Team" is clearly defined.

I would say it is any contributor/author listed here https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/blob/master/AUTHORS

Eventually for receiving donations through NumFocus it would be better that Spyder-IDE or Spyder becomes foundation?

Thinks to decide later on...