Move Spyder config folder (~/.spyder2 in linux) to another location

filippo82

Jun 30, 2016, 5:42:10 PM6/30/16
to spyder
Dear all,

I need to move Spyder config folder to another location.
In GNU/Linux, by default, it is located in ~/.spyder. I want to move it to another location, such as /secondarydisk/software/spyder/spyder-config.

Is that possible? I have been looking for the answer on the Google Groups with no success...

Thanks a lot.
Best wishes.

Carlos Córdoba

Jun 30, 2016, 6:10:49 PM6/30/16
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There's no way to move Spyder settings directory to another location. You'll have to edit Spyder source code to do that :-)

Cheers,
Carlos

Joseph Martinot-Lagarde

Jul 1, 2016, 5:32:12 AM7/1/16
to spyder
It should work with a symbolic link:

mv ~/.spyder /secondarydisk/software/spyder/spyder-config/
ln -s /secondarydisk/software/spyder/spyder-config/.spyder ~/

filippo82

Jul 1, 2016, 10:27:42 AM7/1/16
to spyder
Dear Carlos,

thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Unfortunately, because the home directories on our system are on a (slow) server, Spyder takes ages to start. I have checked the network activity and files involved during its starting process and the culprits are definitely the files located in ~/.spyder2.
I don't have admin permission on my system and I will most likely not be able to install all the required dependencies to properly compile Spyder from source.

Thanks again and cheers,
-Filippo

filippo82

Jul 1, 2016, 10:27:42 AM7/1/16
to spyder
Hi Joseph,

thanks for your reply.
That is how I had solved the problem too :) I was just wondering if there was a more elegant way to do that.

Thanks agian.
Best,
-Filippo