failed update of Spyder

kel...@avinc.com

Oct 23, 2017, 4:24:20 PM10/23/17
to spyder
Hi,
My computer died in the midst of updating Spyder (a hardware issue I think).  Once I got the computer started again, I resumed the update, and I saw a few changes and then it completed.  However, when I try to start Spyder from the Anaconda command line I get this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\kellett\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda3\Scripts\spyder-script.py", line 5, in <module>
    sys.exit(spyder.app.start.main())
  File "C:\Users\kellett\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\spyder\app\start.py", line 144, in main
    from spyder.app import mainwindow
  File "C:\Users\kellett\AppData\Local\Continuum\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\spyder\app\mainwindow.py", line 69, in <module>
    import rope.base.project  # analysis:ignore
ValueError: source code string cannot contain null bytes

Can anyone help me interpret this error?

Thanks,