Problems running spyder on windows 8.1

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2015, 8:55:05 AM7/12/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hello Internet,

I am trying to get spyder to work for python 3 on windows 8.1
I installed spyder with pip.
The first problem is there is no clear way on how to start spyder.
I guess spyder.bat? in the C:\Python34\Scripts folder.
that outputs this.

C:\Python34\Scripts>spyder.bat
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

this is because I use pylauncher.
So I replaced python by py in the spyder.bat file

when I now double click it is opens a cmd than flashes a green rectangle and closes the cmd.
when I open cmd, then run spyder.bat it flashes a green rectangle and the cmd automatically closes.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?
Why does cmd disappear? Can I find a log file somewhere?

thnx in advance.

Adrian Klaver

Jul 12, 2015, 9:27:06 AM7/12/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried just typing spyder at the command line?

> Why does cmd disappear? Can I find a log file somewhere?

> thnx in advance.
>
> --

Adrian Klaver
adrian...@aklaver.com

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2015, 2:13:05 AM7/13/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
'spyder' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Adrian Klaver

Jul 13, 2015, 3:56:43 PM7/13/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
On 07/12/2015 10:11 PM, notmyrealma...@gmail.com wrote:
> 'spyder' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
> program or batch file.

So if you go into:

C:\Python34\Scripts>

and do:

py spyder3

what happens?

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2015, 11:04:02 AM7/14/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

There is no spyder3.
If I do py spyder there.
I waits for a few seconds. the spyder loading popup/starter things shows for half a second. this one (from google images).
cmd closes.

Adrian Klaver

Jul 14, 2015, 12:09:20 PM7/14/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
On 07/14/2015 04:45 AM, notmyrealma...@gmail.com wrote:
> <https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-R2gwe9SPfaM/Uh2qCo0PS2I/AAAAAAAAA1s/JbKXb6Jwk14/s1600/Screenshot+from+2013-08-28+15:39:48.png>
>
> There is no spyder3.
> If I do py spyder there.
> I waits for a few seconds. the spyder loading popup/starter things shows
> for half a second. this one (from google images).
> cmd closes.

So you are doing this from inside a terminal window?

My guess is this has something to do with how pylauncher works. I do not
use Windows much, if at all, these days, but I do remember that Windows
command windows tend to close immediately on execution of a script.
Maybe someone else on this list that has more experience with Windows
can help. Otherwise you might want to pose the question to pylauncher folks.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian...@aklaver.com

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2015, 9:41:39 AM7/16/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had issues with pylauncher before.

To check if pylauncher is the cause of the problem, I added python to the system path.
Opened cmd again and did
python spyder

No difference at all.

Carlos Córdoba

Jul 16, 2015, 9:54:42 AM7/16/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

There are a couple of things here:

1. Unfortunately our Windows installers for Python 3 don't create desktop shortcuts nor menu entries. That's caused by a bug in Python itself, that's going to be fixed in Python 3.5.

2. Please start Spyder with the following option

    py spyder --show-console

to see what's the error that's crashing Spyder.

3. If you're new to Scientific Python, I'd suggest to read our installation instructions with care:

    http://pythonhosted.org/spyder/installation.html

to understand how to better install and use Spyder on Windows.

Cheers.
Carlos

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2015, 3:19:24 PM7/16/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply!

Is --show-console specific to spyder?
 this is the output:
C:\Python34\Scripts>py spyder --show-console
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "spyder", line 3, in <module>
    start_app
.main()

File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\start_app.py", line 115, in main
    spyder
.main()

File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\spyder.py", line 2283, in main
    app
= initialize()

File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\spyder.py", line 2139, in initialize
    rope_patch
.apply()

File "C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\rope_patch.py", line 35, in apply

if rope.VERSION not in ('0.10.2', '0.9.4-1', '0.9.4', '0.9.3', '0.9.2'):
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'VERSION'

So it seems like the rope module is missing.
But I have not found a rope for python 3.
Is it possible to install it from source using python 3?

thanks.

Adrian Klaver

Jul 16, 2015, 3:42:21 PM7/16/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
On 07/16/2015 08:54 AM, notmyrealma...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> Is --show-console specific to spyder?
> this is the output:
> |
> C:\Python34\Scripts>py spyder --show-console
> Traceback(most recent call last):
> File"spyder",line 3,in<module>
> start_app.main()
> File"C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\start_app.py",line 115,inmain
> spyder.main()
> File"C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\spyder.py",line 2283,inmain
> app =initialize()
> File"C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\spyder.py",line
> 2139,ininitialize
> rope_patch.apply()
> File"C:\Python34\lib\site-packages\spyderlib\rope_patch.py",line 35,inapply
> ifrope.VERSION notin('0.10.2','0.9.4-1','0.9.4','0.9.3','0.9.2'):
> AttributeError:'module'objecthas noattribute 'VERSION'
> |

> So it seems like the rope module is missing.

No, that is not what saying. It is saying it imported rope, but that
whatever it imported as rope does not have the attribute VERSION.

I would open a Python or IPython shell outside of Spyder and do:

import rope
help(rope)
rope.VERSION

The help should tell you where the module is coming from.
The rope.VERSION is just to test whether this a Spyder only problem or a
system problem.

> But I have not found a rope for python 3.

The latest version of rope should be Python 3 compatible:

https://github.com/python-rope/rope

> Is it possible to install it from source using python 3?

You could, but I would first diagnose what is happening now before that.

> thanks.
>
> On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 3:54:42 PM UTC+2, Carlos Córdoba wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> There are a couple of things here:
>
> 1. Unfortunately our Windows installers for Python 3 don't create
> desktop shortcuts nor menu entries. That's caused by a bug in Python
> itself, that's going to be fixed in Python 3.5.
>
> 2. Please start Spyder with the following option
>
> py spyder --show-console
>
> to see what's the error that's crashing Spyder.
>
> 3. If you're new to Scientific Python, I'd suggest to read our
> installation instructions with care:
>
> http://pythonhosted.org/spyder/installation.html
>
> to understand how to better install and use Spyder on Windows.
>

> Cheers.
> Carlos
>
> El 16/07/15 a las 04:18, notmyrealma...@gmail.com <javascript:>
>> send an email to spyderlib+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>.
>> <javascript:>.
>> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/spyderlib.
>
> --

Adrian Klaver
adrian...@aklaver.com

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2015, 10:20:28 AM7/17/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

I tried importing rope and it failed.
So i figured rope is somewhere in spyder.
There was a folder in C:\Python34\Lib\site-packages\spyderlib\utils\external called rope.
I renamed it to rope2 (what a creativity) and now spyder works.
In the rope folder there are only the compiled python files.
The files are probably left over from when I uninstalled it earlier.

It works even without having installed rope.
Where in spyder is rope used?

Installing rope with pip fails because the version in pypi is older than the github version.
Does it happen often that packages in pypi are outdated? or is there a mechanism in place for automatic updates?

Adrian Klaver

Jul 17, 2015, 11:45:29 AM7/17/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
On 07/17/2015 05:49 AM, notmyrealma...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> I tried importing rope and it failed.
> So i figured rope is somewhere in spyder.
> There was a folder in
> C:\Python34\Lib\site-packages\spyderlib\utils\external called rope.

What version of Spyder? I do not see that in my site-packages.

> I renamed it to rope2 (what a creativity) and now spyder works.
> In the rope folder there are only the compiled python files.
> The files are probably left over from when I uninstalled it earlier.
>
> It works even without having installed rope.

Well in Spyder 2.3.3+ it will use Jedi in place of rope if present. So
in Spyder go to:

Help --> Optional dependencies

and see what Spyder is finding.

> Where in spyder is rope used?

See below for what the dependencies are used for:

https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder

Recommended modules

Optional modules

> Installing rope with pip fails because the version in pypi is older than
> the github version.
> Does it happen often that packages in pypi are outdated? or is there a
> mechanism in place for automatic updates?
>

> On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 9:42:21 PM UTC+2, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
> > an email to spyderlib+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:spyderlib+...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:spyd...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> > Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/spyderlib.
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian...@aklaver.com <javascript:>

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2015, 11:35:07 AM7/19/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I installed 2.3.5.2 using pip.
Before I installed it with pip I installed it with the installer from here https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases
In that installer the rope folder is present.

The optional dependencies view is very useful.
All of the dependencies are now installed except for rope.
Thanks for all the help.

notmyrealma...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2015, 11:35:07 AM7/19/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
I first installed spyder with spyder-2.3.5.2.win-amd64-py3.4.exe
I couldn't find a way to start spyder so I uninstalled it and then installed it again with pip.
In the .exe there is a rope folder there. The version of rope is VERSION = '0.9.4-1', which I can't find on github.
So I guess uninstalling spyder removed the contents of the folders but not the folders itself.
And that results in trouble.

That optional dependencies view is very useful.
I now installed all the dependencies except rope.