New to Mac. I get an invalid Python installation error in Spyder but not when running Python in terminal

Electron

Aug 5, 2015, 11:33:27 AM8/5/15
to spyder
Received my first Mac ever a few days ago. I installed Python 3 using brew and spyder downloading it from the spyder (no anaconda)

I know that the question has been asked before but I've tried a ton of things and it isn't working:

I've just installed Spyder on a brand new Mac running Yosemite. It correctly imports certain libraries (say, gensim) that I've installed. However, when I try to import theano, I get:

DistutilsPlatformError: invalid Python installation: unable to open /Applications/Spyder.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.4/config-3.4m/Makefile (No such file or directory)

Note: running `python3` in the terminal, it imports theano correctly!

Adrian Klaver

Aug 5, 2015, 3:11:30 PM8/5/15
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
On 08/04/2015 04:05 PM, Electron wrote:
> Received my first Mac ever a few days ago. I installed Python 3 using
> brew and spyder downloading it from the spyder (no anaconda)
>
> I know that the question has been asked before but I've tried a ton of
> things and it isn't working:
>
> I've just installed Spyder on a brand new Mac running Yosemite. It
> correctly imports certain libraries (say, gensim) that I've installed.
> However, when I try to import theano, I get:
>

> DistutilsPlatformError:invalid Pythoninstallation:unable to open
> /Applications/Spyder.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python3.4/config-3.4m/Makefile(Nosuch
> file ordirectory)

So do you have Python 2 installed and is Spyder using it? It should show
the version in the console.

> Note: running `python3` in the terminal, it imports theano correctly!
>
> --

Adrian Klaver
adrian...@aklaver.com