Status Update on Sports Organizations

Jennifer Cooper

Nov 13, 2013, 2:26:29 PM11/13/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com

I gathered all of the organizations mentioned in each of the sports verticals, and started to resolve the differences and create a single structure. At this time, my intention is to propose a class for “SportsOrganization” that would have “SportsTeam” and “SportsGoverningBody” as subclasses. I am holding off on the creation of a subclass for “SportsLeague”, since I haven’t come across any properties that would need to be inherited specific to this class. Sports leagues look like they will be fine (so far) as “SportsOrganization”.

I am still working through the propeties on the instances. I’ll post the final version later this week.

Jennifer

Jason Johnson

Nov 14, 2013, 12:27:18 PM11/14/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
This aligns with my expectations Jennifer.  Looking forward to the details.

Tom Grahame

Nov 15, 2013, 10:23:00 AM11/15/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
I think this proposal reflects exactly the BBC Sport ontology, so is great to hear.

Tom

Message has been deleted

Jennifer Cooper

Nov 20, 2013, 11:36:27 AM11/20/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com

General Structure:

SportsOrganization
     rdfs:subClassOf Organization
     property: sport [Sport]
     isa: ProfessionalGolfersAssociationOfAmerica
     isa: AssociationOfTennisProfessionals
     isa: WomensTennisAssociation
          sport: Tennis
          foundingDate: 1973
          sameAs: www.wtatennis.com
     isa: NationalBasketballAssociation
     isa: NationalHockeyLeague
     isa: WorldBoxingAssociation
     isa: InternationalBoxingFederation
     isa: NASCAR
          sport: auto racing
          foundingDate: 1948
          location: Canada
          location: Europe
          location: Mexico
          location: United States
     isa: InternationalTennisFederation
     isa: FIFA
          sport: Soccer
          location: worldwide

SportsTeam
     description: The collection of all sports teams. Sport teams are those groups of athletes that perform as a unit, either in team sports like soccer where the members work as a unit to score goals, or as in olympic teams like the United State's women's gymnastic team that doesn't necessarily work together during competition, but still constitutes a team.
     rdfs:subClassOf SportsOrganization
     property: roster [Person, Dates, Position]
     property: league [SportsOrganization]
     property: division [SportsOrganization]

Notes:
* Right now, governing bodies and sport associations are not separated into subclasses, mostly because I didn't find data that wouldn't be expressed with the organization properties.
* Consider adding a sports league class. Would have properties for number of teams, most titles won, etc.
* Roster is broadest concept of roster, where position can be a player position or coaching one
* Most of the more specific properties for subclasses of teams were statitics related. What is most important is probably a team's stats for the current season, and then all-time stats. Are we representing all-time stats at this time? If not, there isn't much reason to have classes of teams. The only exception here was NASCAR teams with very specialized properties. Is that sufficient to create subclasses?

Jason Johnson

Nov 20, 2013, 11:41:27 AM11/20/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
So if I read this correctly, the net of this is a proposal for two new classes:  SportsOrganization and SportsTeam.  SportsOrganization introduces a new property 'sport' and SportsTeam introduces the new properties, 'roster', 'league', and 'division'.  I think you are also establishing the need for a 'Roster' class as well, correct?

* Most of the more specific properties for subclasses of teams were statistics related. What is most important is probably a team's stats for the current season, and then all-time stats. Are we representing all-time stats at this time? If not, there isn't much reason to have classes of teams.

Jennifer Cooper

Dec 4, 2013, 11:41:06 AM12/4/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have an updated version that represents the roles in some instances for clarification: (Not sure about the best way to update this)

General Structure:
SportsOrganization
     rdfs:subClassOf Organization
     property: sport [Sport]
     isa: ProfessionalGolfersAssociationOfAmerica
          sport: Golf
          leadership: [role: CEO, person: PeterBevacqua, start_date: 11/10/2012]
                      [role: President, person: TedBishop]
     isa: PGATOUR
          sport: Golf
          leadership: [role: Commissioner, person: TimFinchem, start_date: 1994]
          membership: [role: Member, person: TigerWoods, start_date: 1996]
     isa: SeattleSeahawks
          league: NationalFootballLeague
          division: WesternDivision
          leadership: [role: HeadCoach, person: PeteCarroll, start_date: 01/11/2010]
                      [role: Owner, person: PaulAllen, start_date: 1997]
          roster: [role: Quarterback, person: RussellWilson, start_date: 05/07/2012]
     isa: ManchesterUnited
          league: PremierLeague
          leadership: [role: Manager, person: DavidMoyes]
                      [role: Owner, organization: ManchesterUnitedPLC]

Notes:
* Right now, governing bodies and sport associations are not separated into subclasses, mostly because I didn't find data that wouldn't be expressed with the organization properties.
* Consider adding a sports league class. Would have properties for number of teams, most titles won, etc.
* Roster is broadest concept of roster, where position can be a player position or coaching one
* Most of the more specific properties for subclasses of teams were statitics related. What is most important is probably a team's stats for the current season, and then all-time stats. Are we representing all-time stats at this time? If not, there isn't much reason to have classes of teams. The only exception here was NASCAR teams with very specialized proeprties. Is that sufficient to create subclasses?

* can we use something like 'agent' for role entity?
* what kind of relationship exists between Serena Williams and the WTA?