Representation of Grassroot Junior Competitions in schema

Paul Templeman

Feb 20, 2014, 12:03:27 AM2/20/14
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Thanks for the work done to date - I've been watching with interest.

One of the difficulties for sporting bodies is actually managing results from multiple providers. In my last role in sport I had 4 different data providers for results all using different often proprietary formats - so standards are great.

One issue I have experienced is in publishing results from grassroot competitions. Most of the data modelling is done on professional sports where there is one league and a number of teams.

In a grassroots sport environment you typically have a heirarchy along the lines of competition - season - age group - division -  stage (regular season/finals) -  team. It's the age group part that typically gets missed in any modelling. Weight Classes in Boxing are a similar type of grouping. Any thoughts on how that would be included in the schema?

It's the volume of divisions that is the issue. Most of the time people try and model in age groups at the competition level eg. Winter Under 6 2014 - but this becomes very cumbersome.

Keep the good work going

Regards
Paul...

Paul Templeman
Project Manager
Sports Governance and Business Capability Branch

Participation and Sustainable Sports Division

Australian Sports Commission

ausport.gov.au

Jason Johnson

May 9, 2014, 1:03:39 PM5/9/14
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

In the about-to-be-published updated draft proposal, I believe this hierarchy of organizations would be supported by way of the 'memberOf' property'.  If that is not the case, please let me know.

Cheers,

- Jason