The Official Sporcle Badge Thread (Part II)

mselby

Aug 4, 2015, 2:05:40 PM8/4/15
to Sporcle University
It appears that due to a limitation Google Groups, new posts on the badge thread are no longer viewable. This will be the new official badge thread going forward.

For reference, here is a link to the old thread.

and the original message from Derek:

Hey all,

We use an online project management tool called Trello here at Sporcle. Anyone can sign up for Trello (it is free) using their gmail account. Trello divides projects into organizations that are made up of various boards. Boards have lists and each list is made up of cards. We uses the lists, cards, and boards for tracking features and projects, but we also use them for Badges.

I created a new board in Trello for showing badge ideas. This is not the exhaustive list of badges, but it does house various ideas we have had. I thought I would share this board with all of you.

From here, you can see some of the ideas and buckets that badges go into. You can comment on them and vote.

Here is the link - https://trello.com/b/LUIEEQWd/sporcle-badges-public

As new badge ideas come up, we can endeavor to add them to this board. There have been multiple threads and emails on badges and it gets fairly tricky to keep up with them, going forward I would like to stick to one official thread.

Cheers

Derek

Zachary Huffman

Aug 4, 2015, 8:22:08 PM8/4/15
to Sporcle University
What about this for a badge:

Rock Star- Play 25 Geology Quizzes

iglew

Aug 4, 2015, 9:02:49 PM8/4/15
to Sporcle University
The "Rock Star" label would be much more amusing if it's play x Geology quizzes and x Astronomy quizzes.

needapausebutton

Aug 4, 2015, 9:10:36 PM8/4/15
to Sporcle University
^  ... while playing an electric guitar with your left hand

guilherme_4

Aug 4, 2015, 9:15:19 PM8/4/15
to Sporcle University
I ask for a specific badge and you give us not just the badge but also one of the requirements for it is to play a quiz of mine. Best admins ever. :D

Zachary Huffman

Aug 4, 2015, 10:23:00 PM8/4/15
to Sporcle University
@napb that would make an epic cat video

Zachary Huffman

Aug 5, 2015, 1:58:25 AM8/5/15
to Sporcle University
What about a Lent badge? Play a religion game 40 days in a row.

geshmonkey

Aug 5, 2015, 7:50:43 AM8/5/15
to Sporcle University
Or play a Judaism quiz on every day of Hannukah?

Charging Tiger

Aug 5, 2015, 11:04:55 AM8/5/15
to Sporcle University
Or play a religion typing challenge every day for 100 days? (Nah, I don't have any ulterior motives for suggesting this!)

Michael Rivera

Aug 5, 2015, 11:29:50 AM8/5/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I do think something with Church or Christianity quizzes on Sundays would be really fun - it is God's day after all. :)

On 5 Aug, 2015, at 16:04, Charging Tiger <chargi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Or play a religion typing challenge every day for 100 days? (Nah, I don't have any ulterior motives for suggesting this!)

Message has been deleted

guilherme_4

Aug 5, 2015, 11:44:03 AM8/5/15
to Sporcle University
I love the consecutive days badges, they're truly challenging. Would appreciate to see new ones.

Zachary Huffman

Aug 5, 2015, 1:45:19 PM8/5/15
to Sporcle University
Another badge idea...

Empire Builder: Play 50 states games, or one game for each state (or 50 for each if you want to be truly evil).

Message has been deleted

sporc...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2015, 2:07:50 PM8/5/15
to Sporcle University
I'd love a badge for playing a certain number of games that are based on The Office, like Friends, Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother. Granted, I am a huge fan, but I can't believe there isn't one already. It even has a subcategory in Television, and based on the ordering, I'd guess it has been there a while. A World's Best Badge (in reference to Michael Scott's World's Best Boss coffee mug) or a That's What She Said Badge would definitely make my week.

iglew

Aug 5, 2015, 8:38:36 PM8/5/15
to Sporcle University
Not that Sporcle would ever make such a thing, but if there's going to be a Lent badge, the requirement should be to NOT play any Sporcle games for 40 consecutive days.

That's one badge we'd all fail at!

zalkon2004

Aug 6, 2015, 1:46:33 AM8/6/15
to Sporcle University
Was there an issue with the Classic plays badge that came out the other day? I originally received it on August 4, the day it came out when it was backfilled. But now I see the date on my badge has changed to August 5. I also think I remember the amount of players with the badge being at around 40,000 at one point but now it's around 30,000.

El_Dandy

Aug 6, 2015, 8:51:14 AM8/6/15
to Sporcle University
Hmm....that's strange. There must have been an error of some sort that needed correction.

Marie

Aug 6, 2015, 10:28:19 AM8/6/15
to Sporcle University
Yes - I meant to come in here to alert you all. The badge backfill for classic quizzes wasn't working properly. It was awarding progress for all quiz plays, not just classic. We unpublished the original, and republished a new version which backfilled correctly. Apologies for the confusion! -Marie

smac17

Aug 9, 2015, 6:21:45 PM8/9/15
to Sporcle University
Does anybody else have different levels of progress for the Trendsetter and Elite Trendsetter badges? I have 2/5 and 1/15.

Doug Couchman

Aug 11, 2015, 2:31:34 PM8/11/15
to Sporcle University
Now that there's a new thread I'll repeat my favorite suggestion (which wasn't made by me, but with which I heartily concur): that there be some sort of amnesty day or provision, whereby each user could, perhaps once per year or something like that, designate one day-sensitive badge to earn on that user's chosen amnesty day instead of the required day.

Charging Tiger

Aug 11, 2015, 5:47:49 PM8/11/15
to Sporcle University
The Original Sporcler doesn't appear to be back-filling.

Charging Tiger

Aug 11, 2015, 8:17:25 PM8/11/15
to Sporcle University
Ok, now it looks fine.

Thomas Ireland

Aug 25, 2015, 2:11:47 PM8/25/15
to Sporcle University
Recently, another Sporcle user helped me out a lot with a quiz and with suggestions to make it more visible to the Sporcle community.  Her advice helped tremendously, and my quiz even earned an EP.  I would love to give this person some extra recognition.

My badge suggestion: make a Good Samaritan (or as I joked with this user, a Proud Sporcle Aunt) Badge.  Maybe if someone gets nominated by 5 or so other users, they can receive this badge.  Not sure how the nomination process would work, but I think it is important to recognize the contributions of people who help out other users.  They are what make this community so great!

Tom_the_Terrible

iglew

Aug 25, 2015, 3:45:21 PM8/25/15
to Sporcle University
Needapausebutton could collect about twenty of those badges.

sporc...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2015, 4:16:55 PM8/25/15
to Sporcle University
After reading that post, I was about to write the same thing!

El_Dandy

Aug 25, 2015, 4:52:45 PM8/25/15
to Sporcle University
Please....the badge should be named for him!

Tizzle1984

Aug 25, 2015, 4:54:37 PM8/25/15
to Sporcle University
The "Need a Pause Badge"? :-)

geshmonkey

Sep 14, 2015, 3:13:40 AM9/14/15
to Sporcle University
Just wanted to chip-in in favour of the new pages for when you click on the badges: I'm a fan.

iglew

Sep 14, 2015, 4:13:06 PM9/14/15
to Sporcle University
On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 12:13:40 AM UTC-7, geshmonkey wrote:
Just wanted to chip-in in favour of the new pages for when you click on the badges: I'm a fan.

I hadn't seen those pages before reading geshmonkey's comment here, so I don't know how new they are.

I'm not a great pursuer of badges, but I too really enjoyed those detail pages, for the simple reason that the badges are pretty and it's fun to see a bigger picture of them.

And for that same reason, I would really like to see a "next" button on each individual badge page, so that it's easy to cycle through them all without having to go back through the main page.

(I would also repeat an earlier request for ability to view one's badges in a different order by allowing sorting by various criteria.  The sort order I would be most interested in is number of users who have the badge.)

Marie Kiekhaefer

Sep 14, 2015, 4:30:16 PM9/14/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey, iglew -

There are next/previous buttons underneath the box with the badge info.

We released these pages a couple of a weeks ago. Glad you all like them.

Marie Kiekhaefer
Product Manager
Sporcle, Inc.

iglew

Sep 14, 2015, 6:15:03 PM9/14/15
to Sporcle University
Oh!  I guess I was just blind and didn't see it.

I will now go and cycle through all my badges to look at the pretty pictures!

corndog

Sep 29, 2015, 7:46:29 PM9/29/15
to Sporcle University
I might be completely wrong about this, but don't the "25 ______ quizzes" badges usually backfill?  I think the Zelda one did two weeks ago, so why isn't the Office one backfilling today?

Thanks!

Marie Kiekhaefer

Sep 29, 2015, 8:16:12 PM9/29/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Today's backfill is taking longer than usual (the Puzzle Hunt badge includes a lot of quizzes.) Check back later and you should have progress backfilled. -Marie

Marie Kiekhaefer
Product Manager
Sporcle, Inc.

corndog