Who would you like to give a shout-out to?

Toby123

Sep 9, 2012, 1:20:44 PM9/9/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I saw the post about 'sporcle Gurus' and that made me though it would be cool to publicly thank someone- maybe for the amount of work they put into Sporcle or how helpful they have been.

I would have to thank Bowsntoys, who isn't often on Sporcle anymore, but she was always willing to help me out and give me all of her 'sporcle knowledge'.

Obviously, thanks also has to go to the admins and of course our beloved editors!

But who would you thank?

Toby123

Quizmaster91

Sep 9, 2012, 6:47:30 PM9/9/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
There are so many people on Sporcle that should be acknowledged. Of course there are all editors/curators/people that answer my e-mails with stupid questions/other people that have put so much work into the site, but I like to thank some Sporclers that are lesser known.

First of all, the people I owe gratitude to as a quiz maker (aside from all helpful commenters/mailers): Edelweiss (gave me my first curator pick) and Ulkomaalainen (favorited 3 of my games, after which I started following him and discovered that the few games he has made are very good).

The quiz maker that has wasted most of my time (by far) is NSXDarin/Darinh (same person), with his crazy hard Flash quizzes. I don't know how he makes them (he must be some kind of wizard) but they cost me up to several hours per game. A honorable mention in this same area is Tobley, with his country puzzles that are equally ingenious.

Sorry to everyone I forgot.

-Qm91

Dan Munro

Sep 10, 2012, 12:48:31 PM9/10/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone in case you missed Matt S's quick intro on Friday, my name is Dan and I work here at Sporcle on the engineering team.

As a long time lurker, I'd like to give a quick shout out to you guys, the users. You are among of the most dedicated, passionate, and fun groups the internet has to offer and I love to see posts from you guys about suggestions and ideas for the site.

Also, I have to say a BIG THANK YOU to anyone who has ever reported a bug to Sporcle, not only are the bugs probably mine (sorry!), but it helps us to improve the experience for everyone and that is very commendable of you.

triplet_3

Sep 11, 2012, 4:18:19 PM9/11/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to give a shout-out to googlebird for giving me permission to create my 'British Candy!' and 'British Chocolate Bars!' image quizzes, for being an interesting correspondent and for participating in a transatlantic candy exchange with me! I'd also like to thank those such as puckett86 who helped me here on Sporcle University when I had difficulties making my first image quiz.

As suggested byToby, I'd like to give a big thank you to the admins and editors. Finally, I'd also like to give a shout-out to the hardcore baby name quiz players such as nightfloat and skizzo, for being so enthusiatic about my baby name quizzes and for creating so many enjoyable quizzes in that category for me to enjoy. :)

triplet_3

Sep 11, 2012, 4:21:59 PM9/11/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oops, I forgot to say that I'm also really grateful to everyone who's left helpful and constructive feedback on my quizzes. Much appreciated. :)

ChargingTiger

Dec 28, 2013, 1:47:55 PM12/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
There have been many different Sporclers who have provided me with assistance on a quiz or other helpful advice at one point or another, but I'd say the two most helpful people have been needapausebutton (shocking, I know) and beforever. I'd also like to give a shout-out to Toby123, the person who gave me my first CP.

I know this thread is really old (by Sporcle U standards anyway), but I think it's worth resurrecting. So, who do you want to give a shout-out to?

Aprilli

Dec 28, 2013, 2:54:47 PM12/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I created by first quiz in the last February and needapausebutton helped me with the quiz in the comment section and gave it EP! At the time I did't really realize what an Editor's Pick is... :)

I started to make more quizzes last summer, and soon I wanted to make some image quizzes. I contacted napb and he suggested that maybe I could make slideshow quizzes instead. I didn't have a clue how to re-size my image size, I was happy if I managed to download and save those pictures somewhere in my computer files! But napb was very patient with me and showed me how to make better quizzes, what kind of things to pay attention, alternative answers etc. the list is endless! Thank you, needapausebutton, for helping me to be a better quiz maker!

Aprilli

Dec 28, 2013, 2:57:00 PM12/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And by by, I meant my! :)

Scotty (usmcfunkymunky)

Dec 28, 2013, 3:14:37 PM12/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll give a shout-out to skuban, who helped me a lot with one of my first quizzes, and gave it one of my first curator picks.

ChargingTiger

Dec 28, 2013, 3:28:27 PM12/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
skuban helped me with one of my first CP's as well.

Anderson(Blackhawks65)

Dec 28, 2013, 6:39:51 PM12/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Citkeane has been really nice to me on Sporcle, also needapausebutton has sort of guided me in quiz making sometimes. Beforever also has a lot of fun projects and awesome quizzes.
Message has been deleted

Quizmaster91

Feb 25, 2015, 9:33:32 PM2/25/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
A few weeks back, there was a thread by needapausebutton about a quiz that never got made by AdmiralMaxtreme, in which the following was said by napb:
"Too often, thanks and appreciation are reserved for people who visibly accomplish things, and even then, often not until they move on or say goodbye;  too rarely it is given to people that deserve it simply for their efforts, and who are still hangin’ around as they seem to always have been."
In that thread, a few people seemed to agree that it doesn't happen often enough that appreciation is expressed towards people unless they leave and there is that 'looking back' moment. That's why I thought it would be nice to, once again, resurrect this thread, but then I got distracted and forgot (hey look, a bird!). Until today, after seeing this work of beauty mentioned in a thread around here. I thought about how often the "how to" page has been useful already for informing new users about quiz creation in the short time that the page has been in existence. This made me want to (again) thank the people responsible for it; lucky for me, most people were already thanked by napb in the original thread, except for one.

Therefore, I want to dedicate my utmost, most sincere, super-well deserved thanks to needapausebutton. First of all for the two threads mentioned above, that both pushed me into digging this up (I'm starting to doubt whether I ever did anything on Sporcle that wasn't influenced by napb sometimes). But most of all for what a wonderful Sporcle contributor he is. It happens very often that napb starts a thread or posts about something that somebody else has done (as in the links above). But because he always stresses the accomplishments of other people, as in the 'how to' thread, I think people might sometimes forget about him. So in short, I think of him as one of the friendliest, most supporting people on Sporcle (and given the audience of Sporcle that saying a lot). And incidentally, he makes great quizzes too.

I hope that this gives people some incentive to give this thread another read and think about people they would like to give a shout-out to.

popestcyril David W. Quatrone

Feb 25, 2015, 10:11:12 PM2/25/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I certainly would second that... of the scores of people who have helped me on Sporcle, needapausebutton stands shoulders above all others in the time and efforts he has exerted to help me.  He has been patient with me when I just "knew" that I knew better than him, and never made me feel foolish after seeing the light.  I still fondly remember a comment he left on a classical music quiz to contact him.  He gave some typically superb advice, and then one of my earliest CP's.  Public thanks for all he has done for me.  And know that it is taking every fiber of my being to refrain from using the nickname that shall not be named!  Though it runs through my head every day!  Napb, you're the greatest!

jason.s...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2015, 10:34:23 PM2/25/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Seriously...thirded. I've only had one extended convo with napb, and it was recent...but he's made me re-think quiz creation and analytics in a way I had never considered before. You're the man, napb!

DesertSpartan

Feb 25, 2015, 11:14:33 PM2/25/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I had that same experience with napb, but it was about 18 months ago.  At the time I was unpublished with just 1 each EP and CP.   The first quiz he helped me on was my second EP, first publish and is still my most played quiz.  It also taught me how to collaborate and the keys to making better quizzes.  Even more to the point of how giving napb is, at the point that I was absolutely ecstatic about the quiz's results and success, napb, expressed disappointment because he thought it should have been higher rated and even more played.  There are several others on my list of those that have made me a better Sporcler and Sporcle a better site for me.  As I mentioned in another thread, all of the Editors are monumental in their dedication and help.  I have in some way communicated with or at least benefited from many of the current and a few of the past editor's.  A great shout out to all of those individuals.

Caramba

Feb 26, 2015, 10:08:03 PM2/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
napb has all of the energy I wish I had and twice the grace I'll unfortunately never have. Cheers, G!

needapausebutton

Feb 27, 2015, 1:05:28 AM2/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Q-91, to say you caught me off-guard with that is an understatement (and you guys know I, uh, tend to rarely be understated).

All I can say is that personally I appreciate that a great deal, and of course that goes to popestcyril, El_Dandy, DS and Caramba and the others above.  Those of you who I interact with by e-mail:  The feeling is mutual.

I hope this spreads outwards rather than inwards and, I suppose when it feels natural and right, that others are moved to share some neat experiences about the people who've served them in some way or another in Sporcledom.

It's another opportunity then, for me, to once again mention and re-thank my own "big three" - the three editors in particular who went out of their way to repeatedly support, advise, and tolerate me from day one here: Hejman, LTH, and druhutch. But I've interacted with and been FULLY empowered, literally, by each and every other editor as well, and countless curators, and the ever-patient administrative team. My cup sincerely runneth over. Looking forward to seeing some others' overflow, whenever.