★ Highlights... from the Word Ladder Contest

druhutch

Jul 5, 2014, 3:13:15 AM7/5/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for the delay on this, but after doing my best to closely examine the entries from the last word ladder contest, I've come up with something of a "highlight reel". I truly believe every submission is worth checking out, and encourage everyone to try them all. (Full list is at the bottom.)

For those who are unaware, this contest was basically me throwing out a bunch of titles and Sporclers making Word Ladders from them. This was the third time we'd done this, and I have to say this time around most definitely produced the most creative word ladders I have ever seen. Below I've created a few categories to give special recognition to those ladders I feel really stood out.

(Note: I changed untitled's "Word Ladder: Full of Holes" to "Word Ladder: Your Tutu Is Askew". The original title had already been used and didn't really (as far as I could see) fit the quiz in the first place.)

Best “Twist” on Word Ladder Format
Word Ladder: The Monty Hall (Word) Problem by corndog
Word Ladder: The Wickedly Talented Adele Dazeem by Droxnar
Word Ladder: Pig in Ancient Rome by DesertSpartan
Word Ladder: Autocorrect Hates You by Chenchilla
Word Ladder: You Think You're Soooo Smart by Scott
Word Ladder: Opposite Day by jar514
Word Ladder: Life, Er, Uh... Finds a Way by metashades

Most Creative/Completely Unexpected Use of Word Ladder Title
Word Ladder: Nicolas Cage Battles the Muppets by geshmonkey
Word Ladder: Paper Covers Rock by brimtown
Word Ladder: No Good Can Come from This by JoeBeta
Word Ladder: The Fall of a Sparrow by untitled

“I Understood that Reference” Award
Word Ladder: I Understood That Reference by Tom007
Word Ladder: Have Fun Storming the Castle! by zaphenath
Word Ladder: Never Give Up, Never Surrender by JoeBeta
Word Ladder: Take the Physical Challenge by Purple_Parrot
Word Ladder: How To Make A Good Old-Fashioned by esvadude
Word Ladder: Hoisted by My Own Petard! by zaphenath

Worst Color Scheme Through No Fault of the Quiz Author
Word Ladder: Unthemed in Crimson and Chartreuse by Droxnar

Most Ambitious
Word Ladder: The Flag of Seychelles by Chenchilla
Word Ladder: Life, Er, Uh... Finds a Way by metashades
Word Ladder: The Monty Hall (Word) Problem by corndog
Word Ladder: Your Tutu is Askew by untitled
Word Ladder: Never Give Up, Never Surrender 2 by JoeBeta
Word Ladder: That Ought to Shut You Up by Spacemaniac
Word Ladder: Genius! by Purple_Parrot

Best Overall...

Word Ladder: You Think You're Soooo Smart by Scott
Word Ladder: Life, Er, Uh... Finds a Way by metashades
Word Ladder: Your Tutu is Askew by untitled
Word Ladder: The Monty Hall (Word) Problem by corn dog
Word Ladder: Nicolas Cage Battles the Muppets by geshmonkey
Word Ladder: Rich, Creamy Center by goseaward
Word Ladder: The Konami Code by Droxnar

The FULL LIST:

(Try them all and see if there are any that were overlooked!)

untitled

Jul 5, 2014, 4:48:16 AM7/5/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Heh, the new title on mine is fantastic, thanks for that. (The original intent of the 'full of holes' thing was that the double-o words themselves looked like they were full of holes, but clearly that didn't translate from my brain to the world, so I'm all in favour of a more surreal spin on a title.) Other than that, though -- thanks again (or possibly thanks for the first time) for all the work you did putting together the contest. The sheer amount of possible quizzes in the world can be pretty daunting, so it's nice when someone does a lot of the hard work and narrows down the focus. Keep doing what yer doing, sir, it's much appreciated.

druhutch

Jul 7, 2014, 1:58:17 AM7/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Okay, I have to post this whole list again because I have a couple of additions as well as one or two new categories. (All additions and additional categories are marked with a asterisk*)
I reiterate that all of these were amazing, and I find something new and fun each time I revisit them.

Worst Color Scheme Through No Fault of the Quiz Author
Word Ladder: Unthemed in Crimson and Chartreuse by Droxnar

Most Ambitious

*Word Ladder: Do You Smell Burning? by Purple_Parrot

The FULL LIST:

(Collect 'em All)

Quizmaster91

Jul 7, 2014, 6:50:48 AM7/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Sooo... to win contests like this I just have to keep making quizzes that are the only one to qualify for a very specific category? Be on the look out for my Slideshow logic fill-in-the-blank mixed word word ladder this or that minefield, then ;)!

But on a more serious note, I would like to thank druhutch for taking the time to organize this event, thinking of fun themes and taking time to compile a list of highlights. Without this, there would have been 58 (!) less terrific word ladders. I'm sure many of these will be published in the near future as I had fun playing all of them.

Brimtown

Jul 7, 2014, 11:52:52 AM7/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
As a relative newcomer, I'm glad to see that two of my quizzes got honorary mentions. There's a lot of really good quizmakers out there.

metashades

Jul 8, 2014, 12:09:50 AM7/8/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, dru, I'm honored. And thanks again for the great contest, it was a lot of fun and there are a ton of great quizzes here! Kudos to everyone.

goseaward

Jul 9, 2014, 10:52:57 PM7/9/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks for organizing, dru!

Droxnar

Jul 10, 2014, 3:25:44 PM7/10/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This was fun! I look forward to next time!

DesertSpartan