World Cup 2014 Thread

LabinotHarbuzi

Jun 11, 2014, 4:44:56 PM6/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It's just under 24 hours until the first ball is kicked in the best Sporting event in the world! And what better way is there to get the party started other than setting up a thread dedicated to all things World Cup 2014 as we prepare for a Football feast over the next month! 31 Teams have come through qualifying to join Brazil in participating in the World Cup. So feel free to share your reactions/predictions/opinions or anything else below for the 2014 Tournament.

For those of you who may be wondering what to expect, I have put together a brief description below highlighting all 32 Teams followed by my predictions.

Europe

We start with Spain, the winners in 2010 who enter this tournament as one of the main contenders to win from Europe although their squad is 4 years older now so it may be asking slightly too much for them to do the double. Germany possess a big threat to the South American teams but a number of injuries to some of their players will hinder their efforts, Netherlands could be dark horses and will be hoping to rekindle their 2010 form and quickly forget about their form at Euro 2012. England have opted for a much more youthful squad this time around and will hope to gain confidence if they get out of a tough group. Italy are notorious slow starters in big tournaments, but with a mixture of experience and young talent, they will be hoping to reach the knockout rounds, something they failed to do in 2010. Another team that failed miserably in 2010 was France who seem to have put their problems behind them now and with some very talented players will be wanting to advance quite far. Belgium have a slightly easier group than others and with a number of their players plying their trade in the Premier League, they will be fancying their chances to go deep. Portugal have one of the best players on offer this year with Cristiano Ronaldo but the rest of the team lacks the quality to challenge for the trophy.

Elsewhere from the European teams, Switzerland are sneaking under the radar and with more emphasis on team chemistry than individual brilliance, they could be this years surprise package. Croatia have a very solid squad with some top quality talent in midfield and going forward, they'll certainly give Brazil a run for the money for winning Group A. Debutants Bosnia and Herzegovina scored goals for fun in Qualifying and are well equipped to advance in a slightly weaker group than others. Russia could turn heads if they perform and they are the only team where all their players play in the own domestic league which could work to their advantage. Greece are always a solid team and are tough to beat in World Cup's but they may struggle this time around scoring goals.

South America

Hosts Brazil are expecting nothing other than winning the tournament this year and they will obviously fancy their chances being on home territory with the home crowd backing them, this however isn't one of the best Brazil squads so anything could happen. Rivals Argentina will be one of the favourites with arguably the highest quality going forward, questions have been raised about their defence but they have enough quality to reach the latter stages after what should be a comfortable group. Chile are being marked as one of the dark horses this year and they have enormous amounts of young talent upfront and they also play very attractive football to watch so they are one for the neutrals, their defence however could be an issue and may deny them from reaching the last few rounds. Uruguay won the last tournament held in Brazil back in 1950 and they are the one team that isn't afraid of playing Brazil, they performed magnificently in 2010 but they have had little changes since then so their ageing squad could be a hinderance. Colombia have a wide array of talent and will definately be a threat not just in 2014 but also in future World Cups but injury to their star man Falcao is a huge blow for them. Ecuador started Qualifying in lightning form but since the unfortunate death of their striker Chucho Benitez they have struggled to produce any of their form back in 2012, they are well equipped with the weather conditions so they will use this to their advantage.

Africa

Nigeria
won the African Cup of Nations in 2013 and have some talented players in their ranks, their talisman Emmanuel Emenike could be crucial for them to advance through a group where they will fancy their chances. Cote d'Ivoire have historically been one of the bases of African footballing talent but they have never really transmitted this in a World Cup. They definately have the quality to get out of the group but may struggle in the next round against either England/Italy/Uruguay/Costa Rica. Ghana went out in unfortunate style back in 2010 and will be keen to tackle this by reaching the same stage this time round, they have a selection of young talents who could spring a surprise although they have been put in the Group of death alongside Germany/Portugal and USA. Cameroon were the lowest scorers in Qualifying and they may struggle to get out of Group A but they do have some rising talent coming through to supply star striker Samuel Eto'o with the firepower. Algeria are a very stubborn team to beat and have historically found it hard to score, this year is their best chance to get out of the group for the first time with a sudden spurt in attacking talent coming through.

North America

USA
performed excellently in Qualifying and will be hoping to emulate this success in the tournament itself, their chances are hindered however by being in the same group as Germany and Portugal but they have a new coach in Jurgen Klinsmann and significant talent which can challenge the big boys. Mexico started Qualifying immediately in fine form but once they got to the final group stage, they completely crumbled having narrowly reached the Inter-Contiental playoffs after a huge favour from their neighbours USA who dramatically denied Panama in the last minute of the last game. They have enough quality in their squad but maybe not enough talent to reach the last 16. Costa Rica have been thrown in the deep end in a group with 3 former World Cup winners (England, Italy and Uruguay) and if things couldn't get worse, their star striker Alvaro Saborio has picked up an injury so he misses out. They have subsequent talent without him however with the likes of Joel Campbell and they will favour the weather conditions. Honduras have qualified for their 2nd World Cup in a row and may fancy their chances against 2 European teams in regards to the climate but they lack the may lack the calibre to get out of the group.

Asia/Oceania

Japan
are in good stead to get out of the group with a number of their players playing in the top European Leagues and a slightly lower quality group stage. Key player Shinji Kagawa could be essential if they are going to qualify for the last 16. South Korea are another Asian team in a group where any of the 4 teams could qualify, although some of their players may find the conditions difficult to cope with but they are well used to going into the tournament as underdogs having reached the Semis in 2002. Australia are the lowest ranked team in the competition and have an uphill struggle in the group alongside Spain, Netherlands and Chile so they are at a disadvantage. They have a new coach at the helm who has opted for some new faces in the squad who will be looking to make their mark this year. Iran have a crucial first game against Nigeria and they certainly have the threat to challenge Nigeria with a number of experienced players including the likes of Javad Nekounam, they may well advance as dark horses if they can bring out the best in their players.

My predictions;

Winner: Argentina to overcome Brazil in a tantalizing final in Rio! 2-1 to Argentina.
Semi Finalists: Germany and Spain
Dark Horses: Switzerland to reach the Quarters and maybe edge it to the Semis. Algeria to reach the Knockout Rounds.
Big team that might not get out of the group: Portugal
Team most likely to finish with no points: Australia

Feel free to share your predictions below!

Also, incase anyone is interested we have a Fantasy Football League for the World Cup, here is the website and the code for the Sporcle League is 1395358-14696
We also have set up an ESPN Bracket found here. To enter, simply type in the League name 'Sporcleague' and then the password which is 'Sporcle'.
All are welcome to join.
Here's to a great Tournament!

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Jun 11, 2014, 5:20:43 PM6/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Very nice walkthru! Although the Algeria pick is, um, interesting. The Boston globe had a great section on the WC on Sunday, and it included a great quote from the Algerian captain.

"If we lose many people will say it is normal but we want to make a big surprise."

My only hope is that Ghana beats one of Germany or Portugal. Then if we beat Ghana we have a chance. Ugh. FiveThirtyEight puts the US chances of getting out of Group G at 1/3, so a shot is possible!

Quizmaster91

Jun 11, 2014, 7:17:35 PM6/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Great post, LH! Especially the team overviews were very interesting.
My predictions:
Group A: 1 Brazil, 2 Croatia. Only Brazil will be a sure shot to go through. Second place can go to all three other teams though. But that's not really important anyways since it's doubtful that any of the other three teams can defeat Spain/Chile in the next round.
Group B: 1 Spain, 2 Chile. I really hate my own prediction here but in all honesty it will be a tough group for the Netherlands. Just look at the Euro 2012... Chile is a very strong team and of course there's the current world champion Spain. I'm afraid that Australia might not have a great WC either.
Group C: 1 Colombia 2 Côte D'Ivoire. This group is very tough to call as all four teams are very close to one another. Colombia have very good odds and Côte D'Ivoire is traditionally one of the strongest African football nations, though.
Group D: 1 Uruguay 2 Italy. I really like Costa Rica but not even Bryan Ruiz is going to save them in this group. England have a great squad as well but they have many young and less experienced players. Also, qualifying didn't go without problems. Uruguay is one of the overall favorites with a very strong team, as long as star player Suarez doesn't bite anybody.
Group E: 1 France 2 Switzerland. Frankly I don't think that the two latin american teams in the group are up to high enough standards to beat France at the moment. About Switzerland, I can't put my finger on it but there seems to be a buzz around them.
Group F: 1 Argentina 2 Nigeria. In this group there's the same situation as in Group A: one runaway favorite and who'll become number two is anyones guess. My money is on Nigeria as Africa's most recent champions.
Group G: 1 Germany 2 Portugal. Germany will go through because they're @$#&% Germans. Portugal have, as always, a very strong team with some great players as well.
Group H: 1 Belgium 2 Algeria. Belgium have, for the first time in... ever, a very strong team with great players like Hazard, Vetonghen, Vermaelen, etc. I think they might be the surprise of this World Cup. Then, it could be anyone but I give the advantage to Algeria. If nothing else because they're acustomed to the weather conditions.
Then there are the 16ths: Brazil will win from Chile since they have home advantage and an easier group fase under their belt. Spain will defeat Croatia, the two group D teams will probably be both stronger than the two group C teams, France will win from Nigeria and Argentina will end Switzerland's tournament. Germany won't have too much trouble with Algeria and Belgium will win from Portugal (I said they were going to surprise so here it is).
Time for quarterfinals. Brazil-Italy (win for Brazil), France-Germany (a win for Germany and lots of annoying smug Germans), Argentina-Belgium (Argentina finally ends Belgiums winning streak) and Spain-Uruguay (This will be a very exciting game. Still, I'm going for a win for Spain - but only just).
So the four semifinalists are Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Spain. Brazil will play Germany and Argentina Spain. The two South American teams get cheered to the finals, leaving Germany and Spain to play for third place which will be won by Germany. Then, it's THE FINALS! Coincidentally, I have the same two teams in my finals as LabinotHarbuzi. My prediction: Brazil to overcome Argentina in a tantalizing final in Rio!
As you might have seen from some of my predictions, I may not be the most knowledgeable guy when it comes to football. On the other hand, I DO have the same finalists and semifinalists as LH. In any case, if anyone thinks they can do better, go ahead.

TL;DR: I think Brazil will win, but what do I know?

guilherme_4

Jun 11, 2014, 7:50:09 PM6/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the (great) thread!
Today I acquired my tickets to Nigeria training, as they're here in Campinas - my home city -, I couldn't lose it (even because it's free!). Portugal are here too, but I didn't even try the tickets, the demand was obviously much higher.
Message has been deleted

Bazmerelda

Jun 11, 2014, 7:53:39 PM6/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I've started a (somewhat cheesy) World Cup Spotify playlist. It's collaborative so you should be able to add any other football related songs to it.

HTTP Link - World Cup
Spotify URI Link - spotify:user:bazmerelda:playlist:2l8GCn11HbIYoHW4Ehaqrb (you can just paste that into your Spotify search bar)

guilherme_4

Jun 11, 2014, 8:27:47 PM6/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Btw, I forgot to post this interesting study: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/upshot/world-cup-opinions-in-19-countries-likes-dislikes-predictions.html

I've seen it some hours ago and I'm still wondering why Honduras is so hated in Germany.

LabinotHarbuzi

Jun 12, 2014, 2:49:01 AM6/12/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the positive comments guys! And great predictions from Quizmaster91 aswell :)

@Guilherme_4 That's a great article haha! Not too sure why the Germans aren't big fans of Honduras, I'm surprised England weren't on the list more for being the team that everyone hated!

RockGolf

Jun 13, 2014, 7:13:50 AM6/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Can I plug a different kind of Sporcle World Cup quiz? Someone noted that both the World Cup and the NFL have 32 team, so they matched the flags of those nations with the logos of the NFL teams to form hybrid flags. The quiz shows the flags and asks you to identify both the World Cup country and the NFL team.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/rockgolf/futbol-vs-football

amazingjosh

Jun 22, 2014, 12:05:46 PM6/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
As some of you know, I'm off for a few days with no Internet/world cup/real world access.  I've made hopefully enough CP's to last these 12 days, but I figured my last post should be a rousing cheer for team USA! (woohoo)

LabinotHarbuzi

Jun 22, 2014, 1:50:23 PM6/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Very nice Josh! Enjoy your break! We'll be cheering on the US over here in the UK. I'm also away for 3 weeks starting from tomorrow travelling around Europe so I will be slightly less active, I'll still be able to CP some quizzes in the hostels with internet but I may miss a few quizzes on the games feed so if anyone needs anything, be sure to send me a quick email :)

Michael

Jun 22, 2014, 3:55:18 PM6/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Where are you guys going?  Is there anyone else traveling now that summer's here?

I am in Paris this week doing some research in the Natural History Museum.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM, LabinotHarbuzi <l-e-a...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
Very nice Josh! Enjoy your break! We'll be cheering on the US over here in the UK. I'm also away for 3 weeks starting from tomorrow travelling around Europe so I will be slightly less active, I'll still be able to CP some quizzes in the hostels with internet but I may miss a few quizzes on the games feed so if anyone needs anything, be sure to send me a quick email :)

Chenchilla

Jun 22, 2014, 11:05:18 PM6/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I just came back from a service learning trip in Peru and saw a lot of world cup on local televsions

guilherme_4

Jul 5, 2014, 4:48:07 PM7/5/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone else see two Kyrgyzstan flags at Argentina x Belgium today? :o

Mic747

Jul 5, 2014, 5:57:52 PM7/5/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I did not see them, but I do notice the Kyrgyz linesman who likes to hold his flag up a bit too much.
He has called offside way too often, especially in the second half.

corndog

Jul 5, 2014, 6:56:22 PM7/5/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
ORANJE!

Bazmerelda

Jul 5, 2014, 7:20:01 PM7/5/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
To be fair, only one of those offside calls was actually wrong and Netherlands had a lot of decisions go their way throughout the match.

I'm a bit gutted for Costa Rica. They defended heroically and it would have been nice to see a non-superpower getting to the Semis. The Dutch penalties were all excellent though. They really gave Navas no chance.

Mic747

Jul 6, 2014, 6:08:29 AM7/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Don't get me wrong, I think the referee did a great job yesterday and made hardly any mistakes.
It was just very frustrating as a fan of the Netherlands to see a lot of the attacks end because of a Dutch player standing only centimeters offside, although I agree most of the calls were very accurate.
I'm actually a bit glad that Costa Rica is out, not just because it meant the Netherlands went through, but also because of their ultradefensive gameplay. I know it was their best chance to win and I understand the tactics behind it, but it makes the match a less fun to watch. I think for the neutral viewer (which I'm obviously not) a semifinal of Argentina - Netherlands will hopefully be a lot more exciting to watch than Argentina - Costa Rica