Symbols in Quizzes

sporc...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 2:45:17 PM7/6/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Lately I've been seeing symbols in quiz answers. Where can I find them? The ones on Word are, for me at least, terrible.

There is nothing that would be applicable because all I see are Greek letters, @ or the like. I've been looking for a crown and football lately, but I can't find anything. I know it is possible because I even saw an emoji the other day in a quiz! Is there a site that I could go to, perhaps, or is Word my only option?

guilherme_4

Jul 6, 2015, 3:05:23 PM7/6/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
If you have Whatsapp, you can access web.whatsapp.com and get the emojis from there, just copying and pasting.

I also have this symbol (not an emoji), got it from Twitter. If you're looking for a soccer football, here it is: ⚽

sporc...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 3:24:16 PM7/6/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I never thought about tweeting an emoji and copying it from twitter! Thanks for the idea! I appreciate the soccer ball, and apologize for not specifying American football. haha.

Bazmerelda

Jul 6, 2015, 4:15:10 PM7/6/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The easiest way is just to copy and paste from unicode symbol databases like this. I can't imagine emojis would work unless there has been some recent Sporcle update I have missed. Be warned, not everyone will have all of these symbols installed on their computers so the quizzes will be broken for some people (see the comments for this quiz).

Bazmerelda

Jul 6, 2015, 5:16:44 PM7/6/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just tested and it turns out emojis do work. What do I know?

I guess they must be browser generated though, so they will probably still break quizzes for anyone with older software. This is how emojis look on IE 9 for example.

PLKphoto

Jul 6, 2015, 10:12:39 PM7/6/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This is the database I like to use that has all the unicode characters. Some are supported by Sporcle's font and some aren't. Some will be visible on everyone's computer (e.g. the chess and card suit symbols generally work) and others won't. Here are the categories I've found the most useful: Miscellaneous symbols (most of which will work for everyone… but don't quote me on that) and Miscellaneous Symbols and Pictographs (which are hit and miss - and show up as colour pictures when they do work). You can click on any of them to see what they look like on your browser and to get the unicode information. Copy/paste seems to work okay with most, but be sure to test your quiz.

In this quiz, I used three symbols that were only one number apart in unicode, and several people found that two were visible and one was not (showed up as a box)… You can read the comments to see what people saw.

Unicode is probably your best bet, but like I said, some characters (especially further down the list) are not supported.

Good luck! :-)

furjov

Jul 7, 2015, 6:02:46 AM7/7/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
If you want to have emojis in your quizzes, you can copy them from the browser column of this database:
http://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html
Be aware that some browsers may not be able to display them correctly.
And here's your football 🏈

sporc...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2015, 4:15:20 PM7/7/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! Thanks for the help everyone!

mchoeven

Jul 7, 2015, 6:06:08 PM7/7/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this thread! Inspired me to create this quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/mchoeven/set-up-the-chess-board

ZYX

Jul 25, 2015, 9:14:04 AM7/25/15
to Sporcle University, mchoeve...@gmail.com
Lovely quiz! Would make an excellent stand alone badge.