How deep should I go with baby names?

James Cleveland

Feb 27, 2015, 3:05:38 PM2/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm making a quiz about baby names that have switched gender popularity in the last century. (Like Ashley, which was originally male-only in 1950 and in 2010 was female-only.)

So I did the research by checking the top 1000 names from each decade year from 1910 to 2010. I wound up with 56 answers. However, if I only used the top 500 names, then it would be 22 answers (though I'd have to recheck some that may have debuted lower down the list at first and then moved up before switching genders). Would it be better to make the quiz with the original 56 answers, or use the ones from the top 500 (and maybe include the others as bonuses)?

Also, off-topic, is there a way to change the color of individual cells in a classic quiz? (I wanted to highlight the names that were Top 200 and Top 500.)

Sheldon

Feb 27, 2015, 4:06:39 PM2/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Since you've already done all the research for the top 1000, I'd say stick with 56. If it's a simple classic quiz layout with two or three columns, it shouldn't be too large. If there's enough difference between the top 500 and top 1000 you could even make both because it sounds like an interesting subject.

As for individual colour cells, as long as you don't have any info in the 'extra info' column on the data page, you can give cells different colours by using hex codes. First, make sure you tick the box on the options tab that says 'use extra column for color values', then in the third column on the data tab, you would put #000000 if you wanted a black cell. If you want the text colour in that cell to be a different colour too, you would put #000000/#FFFFFF which would give you a black background and white text. This is handy for when you have several different colours but one text colour doesn't work for every cell colour.