"Sporcle How To" Quiz-creation Resource Link

needapausebutton

Oct 21, 2014, 2:45:31 PM10/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Folks,

Here is a new single link to a vast set of resources which can assist Sporcle quiz-makers.

It includes its own internal links to Sporcle’s FAQ, key blog posts, and all known threads within Sporcle University which already provide answers to frequent questions:

    "Sporcle How To" Resource Link

It is our hope that this single link will be a viable source of many solutions, empowering newbies or those of us experimenting with formats heretofore new to us.

 You can explore it for yourself.   And, if you are aware of a useful link therein, you can feel free to direct others to it, and/or specific solutions you now know already exist therein, when new threads with “repeat” questions appear in this forum.

It is a work-in-progress, which we hope will also eventually lead to more in-depth procedural guidelines, along with visible samples.

Huge props are due to NYYanks, mic747, and LabinotHarbuzi, who spent eons sifting through ALL existing forum posts here, determining which responses seemed most useful/helpful -- resulting in countless topics covered already by this resource.

 Gigantic props are due to goseaward, for establishing, and for writing/populating the initial wordpress pages and links.

Also, TheCleverone and beforever are the remainder of the original team of us which bounced these ideas around, so thanks to them as well.

If you have suggestions or questions about the site, please post them in this thread, or you can contact me directly via my Sporcle profile page address.

Thanks to Matt and the administration for allowing us to “run with this” for now.  At some point these efforts may meld into an internal Sporcle wiki-like resource, but we wanted to enable you to avail yourself of what has already been put together.

Finally, thanks as well to the veteran site contributors, moderators and administrators, who took the time at some point along this road, to write the many incredible blog guides or reference works now linked to in this resource.

 - napb

Quizmaster91

Oct 21, 2014, 3:20:23 PM10/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
OK, that's actually really useful!!
Have you also checked if there was some useful information on Sporclepedia yet? It doesn't show up between your sources, but there might be additional info on one of the 266 pages of info there (it might be a tad outdated, since it has been a ghost town since May this year).

geshmonkey

Oct 21, 2014, 3:33:47 PM10/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh! I saw an earlier version of that a couple of days ago through Google, and thought "Jeez, who could've made that? Seems pretty awesome" - this makes much sense now. I like. I like a lot.

needapausebutton

Oct 21, 2014, 3:37:09 PM10/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Have you also checked if there was some useful information on Sporclepedia yet? It doesn't show up between your sources, but there might be additional info on one of the 266 pages of info there (it might be a tad outdated, since it has been a ghost town since May this year).

I think that will depend on whether or not someone decides they want to maintain that site, and keep it up to date. If there is such a person, please let me know, and we can discuss this, thanks.

Chenchilla

Oct 21, 2014, 10:02:07 PM10/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Map and Interpretative quizzes are relatively new, so there may not be too many good resources for those, but the list would be more complete with those included

needapausebutton

Oct 21, 2014, 10:42:43 PM10/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chenchilla.

OK, I might as well "put out a call" now -- anyone who wants to help with "locating" recent threads with good answers - for topics they know have been discussed here, but for which links are not yet on that site:  I welcome the help in finding those. Please e-mail me if you want to chip in (or already know of some good threads you can link me to).

The initial work undertaken by The Three Searchketeers was done several months ago, so I know there is probably some good stuff buried within threads since that time.

Markassonne

Oct 22, 2014, 4:59:25 AM10/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This really is a useful site, thank you all for sharing it with us!

Aprilli

Oct 22, 2014, 5:00:08 AM10/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This must have been taken a lot of time from all of you! Thank you for collecting all the useful information for quiz creators! Hopefully Sporcle Admins will promote this in the website, since not all the creators know that Sporcle University exist.

guilherme_4

Dec 9, 2014, 10:23:44 PM12/9/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey, people, sorry if it's not exactly the right thread for that, but for some reason my new threads don't show up when I try to create one.
Well, I just wanted to know how to create a sorting blitz, like this: http://www.sporcle.com/games/jyrops/quiz_63
I took a look at the how-to blog but couldn't find anything there!

citkeane

Dec 10, 2014, 5:25:38 AM12/10/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@guilherme_4, the basic setup on the Option tab would be to select Wrong answers end the quiz, Use hints and force answers in order and Hide the previous/next question. Then on the data page you'll need the opening statement reminding the player of the pattern in the first hint cell, then the rest of the hints are blank. For the answer cells you need to accept all correct answers that fit the pattern, so for the game you linked to answer 1 accepts all listed Asian countries (e.g. [Displayed Asian Country]/Brunei/China/Maldives/... etc.), answer 2 accepts all African countries, answer 3 all European countries, answer 4 all African countries again and repeating this pattern for the remaining rows. Haven't made one of those quizzes but I presume that's the basic method. Hope it helps.

guilherme_4

Dec 12, 2014, 7:52:45 PM12/12/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for helping, citkeane! But I didn't get exactly how the data tab would work. I tried to do something like what you said but I ended up having only 4 answers... :s

geshmonkey

Dec 13, 2014, 3:09:35 AM12/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
All you have to do is keep changing the display answer, so you'll have your first two chains:

Lesotho/Mozambique/Swaziland/Namibia/Chad/Sierra Leone...
Rome/Vaduz/London/Athens/Moscow/Copenhagen/Paris...
Fiji/Palau/Vanuatu/New Zealand/Australia/Tuvalu/Papua New Guinea...
Vaduz/Rome/London/Athens/Moscow/Copenhagen/Paris...
Mozambique/Lesotho/Swaziland/Namibia/Chad/Sierra Leone..
London/Rome/Vaduz/Athens/Moscow/Copenhagen/Paris...
Palau/Fiji/Vanuatu/New Zealand/Australia/Tuvalu/Papua New Guinea...
Athens/Rome/Vaduz/London/Moscow/Copenhagen/Paris..
REPEAT AS NECESSARY.

Also, make sure that your repeated answer (2 and 4) have twice as many options as the rest.
Force answers in order, hide next clue, set yourself a minefield, and you've got a Sorting Blitz.
(I'm sorry I totally forgot which groups you were using.)

guilherme_4

Dec 14, 2014, 7:09:00 PM12/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, that totally worked! I forgot to mention that I'm using 4 different groups, so there's no need for repeated answers, but thanks for helping with that too.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Josu Ibarretxe

Aug 6, 2015, 8:55:47 AM8/6/15
to Sporcle University
I'm trying to add the small picture that goes next to the title but so far I haven't found any guidelines that explains how to do it. Can anyone explain how it's done or redirect me to a link?

Thank you

geshmonkey

Aug 6, 2015, 9:18:31 AM8/6/15
to Sporcle University
Those are only added by the admins when a quiz is published/queued for publish. There's nothing us ordinary users can do about that :)

Zachary Huffman

Aug 6, 2015, 9:19:11 AM8/6/15
to Sporcle University
^That is only done when the quiz is published, so it isn't possible for you to do it.

Josu Ibarretxe

Aug 6, 2015, 1:06:45 PM8/6/15
to Sporcle University
Thanks, I thought that I was missing an option during the quiz creation.