These are a Few of my Favorite Things

amazingjosh

Oct 21, 2013, 5:46:36 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
So most of us have put in our answers on this thread to who we are, and we sorta kinda know each other now.

But I was wondering about what our out-of-Sporcle preferences are, like what we like.

If you could, and are willing to, just post some things that you like.  Like this:

Favorite Song:  The final 3 tracks on Dark Side of The Moon are the best 14 minutes ever put onto a record.  I was lucky enough to make a lyrics quiz for "Us and Them" which is really an amazing song.

Favorite Movie: I saw Gravity yesterday, but it just doesn't measure up to my all-time favorite, Good Will Hunting.

What do you like?

I'm very excited to hear.

Aprilli

Oct 21, 2013, 6:01:23 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I love Good Will Hunting! My favorite movies are Up, Das Leben den anderen, Shawshank... I have seen 149/250 movies from IMDB top250 list. Do you keep track what movies you have seen?

Aprilli

Oct 21, 2013, 6:05:21 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

And what do other Sporcle players think, what is the most overrated movie in that list?

Mateo56

Oct 21, 2013, 6:08:20 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Although the world would never have experienced the genius that is this without the American remake, for people that haven't seen it I'd thoroughly recommend the original version of "The Wicker Man".

And at the risk of getting all misty-eyed I give you the last minute and a half or so of Radiohead's Lucky.

Daniel Hodgson

Oct 21, 2013, 6:21:36 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Cool idea,

I don't really have a favorite song, those come and go. However,  Don't Stop Believin' by Journey is one I can always rock out to. Bands, my favorite would be Linkin Park, not the new techno stuff but their older music.

Favorite movie would have to be Up.  Great movie.

To add one, favorite sport.  I run cross country so that's my favorite, but I will never watch it on TV.  My favorite sports to watch are football and playoff hockey.

CCCP

Oct 21, 2013, 7:23:41 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Song: The Weight by the Band. But frankly all of their songs are my favourites. And a non english song would be Kalinka, a Russian folk song.

Movie: Battleship Potemkin and the Godfather Part II are tied. Both are legendary and made by great directors.

Sport: Football, I am a major Rangers FC fan (don't mock) and my world cup team has and always will be Germany.

CCCP

Anderson(Blackhawks65)

Oct 21, 2013, 7:39:16 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Song: Safe and sound by capital cities
Movie: I love watching Forrest Gump and do that a lot.

NYYanks

Oct 21, 2013, 7:42:19 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Song: Anything from Fall Out Boy

Movie: Don't really watch too many movies, but I really liked the National Treasure Series.

Sports: I watch all Big 4 except NHL. I like the Yankees (obviously), Giants, and the Lakers. I also play baseball for my school team.

Anderson(Blackhawks65)

Oct 21, 2013, 8:00:11 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to write my sport! NYYanks, you make me sad. I watch an NHL hockey game every night and the Seahawks every sunday. Every once in a while I might watch some MLB, mostly Giants. My favorite NHL team is the Blackhawks.

Cryptus

Oct 21, 2013, 8:22:04 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favourite song: probably Stripped, by Depeche Mode, who are my favourite band.
Favourite movie: Django Unchained (recent I know, but I'm not much of a movies person).
Favourite sport: football (soccer) to play and to watch; I'm a big Chelsea fan (runs in the family!). I'll generally be happy watching most sports really.
And at the risk of this list of favourites becoming a rather long list, I'd also put forward favourite TV show, which for me would be a three way tie between NCIS, Scrubs and Top Gear (depending on my mood).

Derek Pharr

Oct 21, 2013, 8:25:59 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite movies include The Princess Bride, Fight Club, and The Usual suspects.
Favorite books: Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Great Gatsby, Dune, and any modern YA novels, though my minor was in English Lit.
Favorite music: honestly most any modern country and folk rock.

My wife tells me I have the tastes of a 17 year old girl and the behavior of a 12 year old boy I think that says more about her than me however :)
Derek

Derek Pharr, Vice President of Products
t: @dpharr

DesertSpartan

Oct 21, 2013, 9:12:26 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Favorite bands or songs, way to many to name I am huge fan of the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel and the Who, but unlike most of my friends, I do not think music died with the arrival of 1980, so I also love Elvis Costello, The Clash, The Jam, REM, Tracy Chapman, Dada, The Offspring, The Killers, Kings of Leon and even Pink, just a few through the decades.

TV Show: M*A*S*H

Movies: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Lost Weekend, American Beauty and Doctor Zhivago.

My two favorite Historical/Political figures Tadeusz Kościuszko and Che Guevara

My favorite Authors are Kafka, Steinbeck, John Irving and Kurt Vonnegut, but there are too many great books and authors.  Despite those authors, my favorite genre is mystery and suspense so I read tons of people like David Baldacci, Scott Turow, Stuart Woods, John Sandford, Michael Connoly,
Frederick Forsyth and authors of that ilk.  I think the greatest stories I ever read were A Tale of Two Cities and Dr Zhivago, which are eerily similar to me (power corrupts absolutely, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" and no good thing can't become evil)

My favorite teams, Detroit Tigers and Michigan State Spartan
My favorite sports, college basketball and baseball.  I am not much of a fan of football, be it American or European.
Favorite past times Hiking, Triva and Reading

Favorite Celebrity: Groucho Marx, Paul McCartney

Favorite Quote:
"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."  General John Stark and abbreviated on the New Hampshire License Plate or in a Die Hard Movie

Favorite Magician: Lance Burton

Favorite Monarch: Elizabeth II

Favorite Card Game: Spades

Favorite Food: Ice Cream or Lasagna

hscer

Oct 21, 2013, 9:15:02 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Top song - "Baba O'Riley" by The Who. (I can't believe I've never heard a baseball player use the intro as their walk-up music.)

Top movie - Airplane! No other options, really. (Among more serious options, I do like The Matrix, Chinatown, Rear Window, Citizen Kane, Memento...but the answer to this question is unequivocally Airplane!)

Most overrated movie in the IMDB Top 250 - Where's The Dark Knight these days? Because that one.

Sport - Basketball to play, although it's been far too long since I've actually played. Meanwhile, NFL and MLB alternate in terms of what to watch. (Curling is last.)

needapausebutton

Oct 21, 2013, 9:40:22 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This is easy.

For starters, my favorite color is Blue.... NO, Yel......Aaaauuuuuuughhhhhhhh!

iglew

Oct 21, 2013, 10:29:05 PM10/21/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite sports team: Oakland Athletics
Favorite musical: The Fantasticks
Favorite tenor: Nicolai Gedda
Favorite historian: Fernand Braudel
Favorite linguist: Otto Jespersen
Favorite Vonnegut novel = Sirens of Titan
Favorite Joplin rag = Solace

TheCleverone

Oct 22, 2013, 2:17:49 AM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Song: Either "Don't Look Back in Anger" by Oasis or "Imagine" by John Lennon.

Movie: The Shawshank Redemption.

Sport: Tennis. But I'm a big Liverpool FC fan.

geshmonkey

Oct 22, 2013, 3:32:09 AM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Don't I recall a special kind of quiz for this sort of thing...?

Quizhappy

Oct 22, 2013, 3:34:59 AM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite Albums: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here; Pixies - Doolittle; Radiohead - Kid A; Massive Attack - Mezzanine; Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm; Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun; Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty

Favorite TV Shows: Cheers, Monty Python's Flying Circus, M*A*S*H, Newsradio, Blackadder, The Vicar of Dibley, Breaking Bad, Doctor Who.

Favorite Movies: Back to the Future, Groundhog Day, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Godfather Trilogy, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Dr. Strangelove.

Favorite Books: 1984, Crime and Punishment, Catch-22, The Three Musketeers, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Favorite Number: 42.

Mateo56

Oct 22, 2013, 7:25:21 AM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Maybe the next contest should be Info Quizzes. With mandatory default colour scheme.

beisaa

Oct 22, 2013, 8:44:52 AM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Remember to include your ZIP code - I seem to remember that being a key point of personal information.

hscer

Oct 22, 2013, 9:05:47 AM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
No, thank you.

Sporcle U is a much better outlet for this kind of thing.

Tolkienite

Oct 22, 2013, 12:05:17 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Interesting to see all this stuff!

Favourite Song: not sure I have a favourite song but anything by Queen is gonna be up there
Favourite Movie: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, (I have always considered it one 9 hour piece of film making rather than 3 individual movies), Inception is a close second
Favourite Books: Wintersmith and most other Discworld novels, Harry Potter Series, The Lord of the Rings and the Series of Unfortunate Events books

Spacemaniac

Oct 22, 2013, 1:23:00 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite Song: Anything by Billy Joel. A few that cone to mind are Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, The Stranger, The Entertainer, We Didn't Start the Fire, Big Shot, Only the Good Die Young, Uptown Girl, The Ballad of Billy the Kid... I also love American Pie and Born to Run.

Favorite Movie: Forrest Gump, and the Back to the Future trilogy.

Favorite TV Show: Family Guy, The Simpsons, Friends, The Middle, and The Big Bang Theory.

Favorite Book: Battle Royale, The Long Walk, 11/22/63, the Percy Jackson series.

Favorite Author: Stephen King

Mic747

Oct 22, 2013, 1:43:34 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite song: can't choose between 'Eye of the Tiger', 'Don't fear the Reaper' and 'Little Talks''. but most rock-ish songs made before I was born I consider good.
Favorite movie: LotR + Hobbit, Star Wars series. If it's single movies Total Recall and In Time will be high on the list.
Favorite book: Do you really want me to choose between LotR, ASoIaF, Percy Jackson and the books of David Baldacci, Dan Brown and Clive Cussler? I can't.
Favorite series: Game of Thrones, although Under the Dome is not far behind.
Favorite sport: Soccer I like watching any game from Ajax, and all international championships and the Top-matches in the champions league.

It's really difficult to choose though, especially in literature, since I have times where I finish 3/4 books every week. There's just too much choice ;)

Usmcfunkymunky

Oct 22, 2013, 2:13:00 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite song: I don't listen to music.
Favorite tv shows: Lost, The X-files, Andy Griffith show
Favorite books: 1984, Animal Farm
Favorite Movies: None in particular, just whatever is new. I loved The Avengers, though.

Hullabaloo

Oct 22, 2013, 2:25:26 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Don't really have a song that I would consider my "favourite". Firth of Fifth by Genesis is my most played on my iTunes. I once tried to compile a list of my favourite 400 albums but failed miserably.

My top 15 albums, perhaps, would be:

The Beatles - The Beatles
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Comus - First Utterance
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Elliott Smith - Either/or
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
The Avalanches - Since I left you

Television: Do not watch any, except sport.

Movies: Haven't been to the cinema in years - very rarely watch them. I quite enjoyed the Departed when I saw it, however.

Sport: Football (the one Americans call soccer), golf, tennis, F1, some cricket.

Caramba

Oct 22, 2013, 2:45:30 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Music: Beatles, Springsteen, Rascals, Hoodoo Gurus, Killers, Sparks, Stones, any Power Pop
Favourite Song: "That Lady" - Isley Brothers (full length version with the killer guitar)
Movies: Blues Brothers, Gallipoli, The Sandlot, Mary Poppins, Singin' In the Rain, Aliens, Life of Pi
Books: Recently read and really enjoyed "Great Expectations" and "Crime and Punishment" and loved both. Any Seuss.

Quizmaster91

Oct 22, 2013, 7:06:07 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Song: too much to choose from & changes on a daily basis.
Artist: I've got a very broad music taste but favorites include Queen, U2, Muse, The Kaiser Chiefs, The Gorillaz, The Prodigy, Pendulum, Franz Ferdinand, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Editors, Guns n' Roses, The Killers, The Arctic Monkeys.
Movie: Don't really watch many movies but when it comes to action, I always like a James Bond movie. Or in comedy, Monty Python (thanks to NAPB for reminding me).
Television: The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Breaking Bad, Friends, Scrubs, Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Big Bang Theory and many BBC programmes (especially comedy and panel shows). And more. I watch too much TV.
Sports: I only watch football/soccer. I watch Dutch Eredivisie (Ajax), World Cup/UEFA Euro Championship and Champions League/Europa League games with Dutch teams or important matches like (semi)finals. Besides that I practise swimming, but mostly recreationally.
Book: I'm not really the reading type but when I do, it's mostly detectives.
And to conclude with; some standard Info quiz info: favorite color = yellow, favorite number = 60 and favorite food = something childish like fries/chips, pizza or pancakes. I'll keep my Zipcode to myself if no-one minds.

Tom Pajor

Oct 22, 2013, 7:52:26 PM10/22/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite Song: Slip Kid by The Who (Go figure)

Favorite Movie: The Terminator

Favorite TV Show: Hogan's Heroes

Favorite Book: Hunt for Red October

Favorite Author: Tom Clancy

Favorite Sports Teams: Ohio State Basketball and Football

zalkon2004

Oct 23, 2013, 1:20:49 AM10/23/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Fav Music - Basically 70's & 90's R&B and rock, 80's pop

Fav Foods - I've never had a bad chili except for once when someone put broccoli in the recipe. Also big on soups and breads.

Fav Movies - Saving Private Ryan, LOTR extended cuts, One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, Fargo, Das Boot, anything made by David Fincher (except for the American remake of Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the Swedish ones were better) about 7,500 others :)

Fav TV Shows - the various Star Treks, Lost, Frasier, Oz (just recently discovered Sherlock though!)

Fav Sports - Basketball, Baseball, Swimming, Track, Artistic Gymnastics

Fav Books - Though I've read a lot of fiction, I primarily read historical non-fiction. Don't really have any true favorites.

MovieGuru

Oct 23, 2013, 10:51:54 AM10/23/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite (currently airing) TV Shows: Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, Avatar, Sherlock, Doctor Who

Directors: Tim Burton, Hayao Miyazaki, Clint Eastwood

Music: Broadway

Usmcfunkymunky

Oct 23, 2013, 10:59:24 AM10/23/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Walking Dead. That's also one of my fave tv shows.

hscer

Oct 23, 2013, 11:13:00 AM10/23/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
WHO PUT BROCCOLI INTO A CHILI?!??!?!?!?!?

I hope they never cooked again.

Hullabaloo

Oct 23, 2013, 12:28:36 PM10/23/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just read your favourite albums, Quizhappy. Very nice!

Quizhappy

Oct 24, 2013, 2:43:34 AM10/24/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  I must say, you have a very eclectic taste in music (some really good bands there).  I never thought I'd see the day when Elliott Smith and Dissection were listed next to each other.

RedBengalTiger (Funnyfavorer101)

Oct 26, 2013, 1:02:39 AM10/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite Song: I don't have a particular favorite, but I like jazz, classical, and classic rock. Anything but pop/modern music.

Favorite Movie: Either the Star Wars movies, the Princess Bride, or the Harry Potter movies. Take your pick.

Favorite TV Show: Star Trek Star Trek Star Trek Star Trek Star Trek Sta... Also Mythbusters and Law and Order, although not so much as the first one.

Favorite Book: Either the Harry Potters (old favorites) or The Lost Conspiracy, something I read over the summer. It's by Frances Hardinge.

JoeBeta

Oct 26, 2013, 6:34:41 AM10/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It's hard to be brief, but if I was on a deserted island (with electricity) and could have only one in each category, I would choose thusly -

Favorite song - Here Comes The Sun (If I could have a whole album, then Abbey Road.)
Favorite movie - Miracle On 34th Street
Favorite TV show - Every episode of Lost (even though that might freak me out in my situation, being on a deserted island and all)
Favorite book - Catch 22

This is a great thread.

khands

Nov 26, 2013, 6:03:23 PM11/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite Historical Period: 16-17th century England
Favorite Historical Figure: Andrew Jackson
Favorite Book: The Chuang Tzu
Favorite TV show: Xena
Favorite Bands: No Doubt, Sublime

ChargingTiger

Dec 2, 2013, 5:05:01 PM12/2/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Favorite Book: The Bible (I also enjoy the original Hardy Boys books)
Favorite Sport: American Football/Baseball
Favorite Sports Teams: Michigan Wolverines (College), Detroit Lions/Detroit Tigers/Detroit Pistons/Detroit Red Wings (Professional)
Favorite TV Show: The Andy Griffith Show
Favorite Color: Purple
Favorite Food: Cheese (or chocolate)