Upcoming: Moving Sporcle U

Derek Pharr

Sep 15, 2015, 12:42:05 PM9/15/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,
This is upcoming notice that in a few weeks we will be moving Sporcle U off of Google and into Sporcle Groups.

WAIT WHAT?!

Yes, this mailing list/forum will be shut down and transitioned over to Sporcle Groups.

If you are anxious to get started, go ahead and join Sporcle U on Sporcle - http://www.sporcle.com/groups/sporcle-university

Keep in mind, that this feature will be evolving quite drastically in the near future as we make it as robust as it needs to be to accommodate such an integral part of the Sporcle community. So if things don't work as well as you'd like or if features seems lacking, don't panic! We have a long list of features we will be rolling out before we shut down Sporcle U on Google.

Again this is just some advanced notice.
Thanks
Derek

FAQ:
Why are we doing this?
It has always bugged us that we are using a 3rd party tool for the Sporcle community. Sporcle U is a supposed to be a hub for Sporcle users, it should be ON Sporcle.

What the heck are Sporcle Groups?
Glad you asked. Sporcle Groups are a new set of features where users can post quizzes and topics to other Sporcle users. The feature is currently in Beta, but will be going through some substantial development this fall.

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

When is this gonna happen?
It all depends on the features we get in place. Sporcle Groups need a new landing page, better discoverability, and various tweaks and tucks before it is fully ready for prime time. Once it hits a certain level of awesome, we will flip the switch (with plenty of notice and communication from HQ).

Derek Pharr, Vice President of Products
t: @dpharr

LabinotHarbuzi

Sep 15, 2015, 1:29:57 PM9/15/15
to Sporcle University
I guess its one of them things you don't really think about but it makes a lot more sense to transfer the Sporcle Uni over to Sporcle itself, I'll look forward to the transition!

Also, the Sporcle Groups sounds like a really good idea so I can't wait to experiment with that! :)

Charging Tiger

Sep 15, 2015, 8:19:40 PM9/15/15
to Sporcle University
Does this mean that this group will be deleted entirely, or will it just be closed to new posts?

Quizmaster91

Sep 15, 2015, 8:48:46 PM9/15/15
to Sporcle University
I hope that the discussions in this group will remain available to see, otherwise a treasure chest of useful or interesting information would be lost. Just think about the effect on the 'Sporcle how-to' page.

Librarysquirrel

Sep 16, 2015, 2:34:57 AM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
Could this thread get pinned to keep us all in the loop?

Charging Tiger

Sep 16, 2015, 9:49:49 AM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Matt Selby

Sep 16, 2015, 11:03:18 AM9/16/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It's unlikely we'll remove this forum, unless it somehow creates confusion, but new posts will be disabled. I've pinned this post to the top for now.

zalkon2004

Sep 16, 2015, 12:46:26 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
Yeah, I hope this group stays available to read. There are a number of posts I've starred for reference featuring useful info/tips etc. Literally years of it in total throughout this version of SporcleU.  When this group is disabled for new posts, just leave a post at the top explaining this groups closure and have a link redirecting to the new Sporcle Group.

Hejman

Sep 16, 2015, 2:52:03 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
A few questions/thoughts;

1. Will there be a link to the new group on our 'create' page as there is currently a link to this Google group?
2. Is there a plan/intention to take the more 'how to' pages here and paste them into the new internal group?
3. Is the swallow carrying a coconut? If so, is it doing so alone, or in conjunction with a second swallow, both of them gripping it by the husk?
4. What is the capital of Assyria?
5. What is your favorite color?

Derek Pharr

Sep 16, 2015, 3:16:04 PM9/16/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
1. Yes
2. That is a good idea. Whether that is in the Sporcle U group or a new group for how to's is something to be figured out
3. No
4. Assur, Nineveh
5. Plaid

Hejman

Sep 16, 2015, 3:47:49 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
You always struck as more of an 'argyle' kind of guy.  But if you must have plaid, at least have 'Sporcle Plaid':

Derek Pharr

Sep 16, 2015, 4:12:17 PM9/16/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Hejman <sporcle...@gmail.com> wrote:
You always struck as more of an 'argyle' kind of guy.  But if you must have plaid, at least have 'Sporcle Plaid':

geshmonkey

Sep 16, 2015, 4:53:04 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
Question you inadvertently reminded me of: Will there be a way to post pictures in Sporcle Groups?

Derek Pharr

Sep 16, 2015, 4:53:40 PM9/16/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
that is a good question. Right now, no...but I think that is something we can examine.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM, geshmonkey <mattros...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Question you inadvertently reminded me of: Will there be a way to post pictures in Sporcle Groups?

El_Dandy

Sep 16, 2015, 5:57:08 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
Question for no particular reason: Can we start our own groups now, or is it something that needs to wait a while? I'm itching to start the No Homers Club.

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 4:53:40 PM UTC-4, Derek Pharr wrote:
that is a good question. Right now, no...but I think that is something we can examine.
On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM, geshmonkey <mattros...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Question you inadvertently reminded me of: Will there be a way to post pictures in Sporcle Groups?

Quizmaster91

Sep 16, 2015, 7:28:21 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
El_Dandy: In the upper left corner there is a link to 'Your Groups' (Under the 'Quizzes' button). Click on it and you'll go to an overview of all your groups (The 'Manage Groups' tab), where there's a button 'Create a new group'. I haven't checked if it works yet, but the answer to your question seems to be 'yes'.
Slightly related question: In this 'Manage Groups' tab, I can see the groups I'm currently a member of (Sporcle University) and the possibility to make my own groups. But is there a place where I can see all groups that are made by other people if I'm not a member yet? I ask because I and Homer Glumplich would like to become members of the No Homers Club.

El_Dandy

Sep 16, 2015, 8:10:33 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
Well, we'll be allowed to have one...

Derek Pharr

Sep 16, 2015, 8:34:34 PM9/16/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
yeah, go ahead and start making and joining groups, but remember this is beta and many changes are coming.

DesertSpartan

Sep 16, 2015, 9:36:58 PM9/16/15
to Sporcle University
As my username may suggest, my favorite color is a certain variety of gingham:

Green & White Checkered Flag 3x5ft Poly

You may think stripes would have worked just as well, but "gingham"  is a much better word.

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:28:21 PM UTC-4, Quizmaster91 wrote:
El_Dandy: In the upper left corner there is a link to 'Your Groups' (Under the 'Quizzes' button). Click on it and you'll go to an overview of all your groups (The 'Manage Groups' tab), where there's a button 'Create a new group'. I haven't checked if it works yet, but the answer to your question seems to be 'yes'.
Slightly related question: In this 'Manage Groups' tab, I can see the groups I'm currently a member of (Sporcle University) and the possibility to make my own groups. But is there a place where I can see all groups that are made by other people if I'm not a member yet? I ask because I and Homer Glumplich would like to become members of the No Homers Club.

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

RobPro

Sep 17, 2015, 4:38:06 AM9/17/15
to Sporcle University
Not sure what the status is currently, but I think the number and ratings of comments in the university should be separate from the comments and comment ratings on quizzes?

william2

Sep 17, 2015, 7:28:31 AM9/17/15
to Sporcle University
I'm not able to see this Your Groups link. Is this something that is slowly being rolled out, and maybe not everyone has this yet?

smac17

Sep 17, 2015, 8:13:53 AM9/17/15
to Sporcle University
Sorry William I sent you a private reply by accident. I don't know what I'm doing on this thing. Another reason why I welcome the switch.

I can't see the groups feature on Sporcle either. At the moment I have to go through this group to get to the group on Sporcle.

Matt Selby

Sep 17, 2015, 11:30:06 AM9/17/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey Smac17,

What happens if you go to this link: http://www.sporcle.com/groups

Are you redirected back to the homepage? If so, are you currently logged in to a Sporcle account?

smac17

El_Dandy

Sep 17, 2015, 5:00:17 PM9/17/15
to Sporcle University
I don't think there's a public link to the groups page yet.

Derek Pharr

Quizmaster91

Sep 17, 2015, 5:21:24 PM9/17/15
to Sporcle University
@smac: I'm sorry for being unclear. I meant that there was a link to the your groups page in the top left if you are already on the new Sporcle University page using the link posted here. See image.
YourGroups.png

Librarysquirrel

Sep 17, 2015, 9:01:24 PM9/17/15
to Sporcle University
So I joined Sporcle U on Sporcle, and on the manage groups page it only shows that group.  There's the button to create a new group, but how would you know what other groups are out there to join?  How would you know they exist?  Or is just because it is in beta that we haven't gotten to that point yet?

El_Dandy

Sep 17, 2015, 9:56:52 PM9/17/15
to Sporcle University
I have a feeling that it's because it's in beta as you suggested. That or all other groups are super secret.

Librarysquirrel

Sep 17, 2015, 11:35:11 PM9/17/15
to Sporcle University

Maybe soon, a bunch of groups of 1 won't help those communities take off.  Will be interesting to see how things go because with groups, you aren't limited to Sporcle U-type communities.

Matt Selby

Sep 18, 2015, 1:49:24 AM9/18/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
We have some features upcoming that should help you find other groups to join. Stay tuned!

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Librarysquirrel <librarys...@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe soon, a bunch of groups of 1 won't help those communities take off.  Will be interesting to see how things go because with groups, you aren't limited to Sporcle U-type communities.

El_Dandy

Sep 18, 2015, 12:47:41 PM9/18/15
to Sporcle University
I mean, we're all going to start super awesome exclusive gangs, right?

The El_Dandy-lions has a good ring to it...