How do you decide what category a quiz is in and what to name it?

James Cleveland

Feb 22, 2015, 11:19:53 AM2/22/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I made this quiz yesterday: http://www.sporcle.com/games/jacehan/one-letter-off-countries

At first I put it in Just For Fun, because it uses word play. But then I moved it to Geography, because it has a lot of geo knowledge. But then maybe it should be in Miscellaneous? I dunno.

I also wasn't sure about a title that best describes it the way the puzzle works.

Also, if you do look at it, I feel like most of my clueing is fine but one or two are iffy - if you have suggestions for rewording or alternate answers, that would be great. Thanks!

DesertSpartan

Feb 22, 2015, 12:41:44 PM2/22/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

My suggestions:

I would put it in Just For Fun.  I consider it Word Play and the Geographic knowledge is no more important than the General Knowledge.  Someone could be into Geography and have no clue what a polyhedron is or anything about Zelda, Italian, Ocean Spray Etc.   There are times when I struggle with the category for quizzes.  I had a history in song quiz that fit equally well in history or music and have had missing word quizzes that were better suited for music than just for fun.  Those are just two examples, but sometimes quizes do fit more than one category.

I would add the tag general knowledge

I would add some color to the quiz

I would put an explanation of how to play the game with an example in the Game Notes section.  People don't read the game notes a lot of the time, but I was a little confused about what you were asking us to do.

I think that some clues could be better or more direct.  For example, when I came across the Andes clue, I first thought Peru.  The Andes cover too many countries for me to enjoy that clue, I would prefer a clue mentioning Santiago, Pinochet or something of that ilk that steers me directly to Chile.

I hope this helps.

SproutCM

Feb 22, 2015, 12:45:53 PM2/22/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Well, this has not been done in pairs like this before, but it has been done before in other ways like this:

and

Because they require general knowledge along with geography knowledge.  Misc is always the best home for things like that.

Chris/SproutCM

James Cleveland

Feb 22, 2015, 6:08:23 PM2/22/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I didn't have color at first because I was making it on an iPad and that was hard to do, but now that I'm back on a computer it's easily changed. I added an explanation to the game note using Nauru Nayru, since no one seemed to get that answer, and I replaced it with Grenada Grenade (which I saw on Sprout's quiz - I hope that's okay!).

Sprout, I actually had this idea independently and then looked up and saw yours - you had a lot of good clues but I found it hard to move forward without having a clue to what the country is, so I felt mine was different enough to be worth making, since you get clues to both. I saw some One Letter Off TV and Movie quizzes that were more like that.