Help Me Finish a Quiz Series!!

citkeane

Oct 6, 2014, 6:15:54 PM10/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi all. This might be a bit of an unusual request so I'm curious to see if any of you will be interested. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me finish a quiz series I started over 2 years ago by making any of the unmade quizzes and contributing them under your own account. The series in question is my "Born in [Insert US State Here]" series of games where players identify a bunch of famous people born in a US state by their picture. I've got a few other series mid stream as it is but this one in particular has been in the works for far too long and any help in finishing it off (or getting it a little closer to finished) would be appreciated.

I will admit that some of the remaining states are a little tougher than most of the ones already made. The completed quizzes range between 15 and 30 people per quiz but I don't know how realistic that lower figure is for some of the smaller states. But maybe some of you might have a home state advantage (here's hoping!)

If you are interest just post the name of the state you want to claim below. Then make the quiz and come back to post the link to the contributed game. It will be first-come, first-served policy (assuming anyone is interested).

Here's a list of the states. The ones in blue have already been made (currently 26 out of 50); mostly by me, expect one by druhutch for his home state of Texas and one by a user called Elasdray for Kentucky. The quizzes for Tennessee, Texas, New York, Michigan and Washington have all been featured on the front page.

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado
Delaware
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Minnesota
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wyoming

A more organised quiz maker than I would probably have a spreadsheet with completed lists of famous people for all the unmade states but I usually assemble the list before making the quiz, using sources such as thisthisthis. The only trick is double checking that all people were born in the state in question (wikipedia is usually good for this, assuming there's a reliable source).

I just contributed the quiz for North Carolina before posting this thread. This quiz was made in the map format. I've attached the jpeg of the map image if you want to use it as a template. The individual images within the grid are all 130x130 pixels in size.

Thanks, citkeane.
north-carolina.jpg

JoeBeta

Oct 6, 2014, 6:37:13 PM10/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I herewith claim my homestate of Maine! (and I'm happy to create it.)

citkeane

Oct 6, 2014, 7:16:14 PM10/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Great! Was hoping a few people would be able to claim their home state. Thanks, Joe.

guilherme_4

Oct 6, 2014, 7:51:13 PM10/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I got interested in the project and 've randomly chosen New Mexico. I'm not American and I'm not claiming any state in special, so if any Neo-Mexican (no idea how someone born there is called, but Neo-Mexican sounds cool) would like to do it, swapping is okay to me.

stanford0008

Oct 6, 2014, 9:51:49 PM10/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll lay claim to my home-state of Minnesota.

corndog

Oct 6, 2014, 11:13:05 PM10/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll take my home state, Illino -- oh crap, never mind.

In that case, I'll take my current state, Tex -- shoot, also taken.

Instead, I'll pick where I went to undergrad, Michi -- *sigh*.  Sorry citkeane, I can't help you.

DesertSpartan

Oct 6, 2014, 11:36:18 PM10/6/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My home state is Michigan, already done, but I consider Nevada my home.  I will not make the quiz, but will help anyone interested.

Here is a start on those born in the Silver State:

http://www.biography.com/people/groups/born-in-nevada

Also the 2002 AL Cy Young Award and the actress that played Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island.

goseaward

Oct 7, 2014, 12:19:35 AM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I can take my home state of Iowa.

(Iowa has a lot of state pride.  No lie, I had 3 different history units in school focused just on the state.)
Message has been deleted

zaphenath

Oct 7, 2014, 12:41:05 AM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I claim the states of Hysteria and Confusion.  Not born there, but visit often.

goseaward

Oct 7, 2014, 12:44:17 AM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, I suppose I can't use James T. Kirk...

Quizmaster91

Oct 7, 2014, 2:06:57 PM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I definately want to help, but as someone from outside the US I have no preference whatsoever. So I'll just hang back for now and wait until everyone has had a chance to pick their favorite state.

citkeane

Oct 7, 2014, 2:21:19 PM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the interest guys. Whenever you get the quizzes made don't forget to post the link to the thread and I will update the list of states once a few more have been checked off. Looking forward to playing them. If you need any help I'll be happy to chip in.

JoeBeta

Oct 7, 2014, 4:48:19 PM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I finished my quiz - Born In Maine . Thanks to you, citkeane. I'd never made an image quiz before. I now have a greater appreciation for the time required to create one!

citkeane

Oct 7, 2014, 5:16:09 PM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Looks good, Joe. Nice work.

goseaward

Oct 7, 2014, 5:38:07 PM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And here's Born in Iowa.

Chenchilla

Oct 7, 2014, 6:15:00 PM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It seems as though I'm a little to late to take my home state of North Carolina. I'll take Virginia, instead. It's close enough. Is it ok to have founding fathers in the quiz?

metashades

Oct 7, 2014, 11:27:32 PM10/7/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

I'll take Colorado, my 2nd home

citkeane

Oct 8, 2014, 4:30:18 AM10/8/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, founding fathers should be fine. Also, nice work, goseaward.

Droxnar

Oct 9, 2014, 2:33:58 PM10/9/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Since my OCD wants to go alphabetical, but not enough to find 20 famous people from Alaska, I'll take Arkansas. ;)

iglew

Oct 11, 2014, 3:57:47 AM10/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I grew up in Alaska, so I was tempted to take it, but hardly anyone is born there.  The three most recognizable Alaskans I can think of -- Sarah Palin, Ted Stevens, and Jewel -- were all born out of state.  (Jewel pretty much matches what I did -- born out of state, moved to Alaska as a tot and grew up there, then left again as an adult.)

I think I could still scrape together 15 marginally recognizable people, but I'm not sure I have the image-editing skills to do a picture quiz.  Pictures aren't my thing.

zaphenath

Oct 11, 2014, 10:25:28 AM10/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
A lot of moose were born in Alaska.  Surely some of them must have been famous.

Chenchilla

Oct 11, 2014, 10:41:20 AM10/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
As promised, one Virginia Quiz.   :)
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

guilherme_4

Oct 11, 2014, 10:45:21 PM10/11/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey, guys, I made a list with some names of New Mexico people. I was thinking about reducing it to 20 answers for the quiz, so I'd like to know which ones you consider the most obscure. If I forgot any relevant person, please tell me too! Here's the list.

iglew

Oct 13, 2014, 12:14:13 AM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm probably not a typical Sporcler, so take these data points for whatever they're worth.

Of the names on your list, the ones I think I would recognize from a picture are: 6, 7, 13, 16, 19, 24, 25.

These ones are names I know, but I wouldn't know from a picture: 3, 14, 17, 20.

And finally, #22 I wouldn't recognize from a regular picture, but if I saw a picture of someone in an astronaut suit, I'd be able to guess, since I remember his name as the NM senator who is a former astronaut.  I also would definitely recognize Pete Domenici, who was a prominent senator throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

citkeane

Oct 13, 2014, 5:06:47 AM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
guilherme, I'd recognise and probably be able to name pictures of 2, 3, 7, 10, 11, 13, 17, 19, 24, 25. #14 is more of a "known the name but the face is only somewhat familiar". If anyone has a little more insight on anyone of the Big 4 athletes and their level of fame that would be useful.

Quizmaster91

Oct 13, 2014, 2:04:42 PM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
As a non-American, I'd probably recognise # 7, 11, 13, 17, and 19.

Droxnar

Oct 13, 2014, 3:43:40 PM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Alrighty.  Here's Born in Arkansas.

I tried to find pics with small clues for some of the ones that aren't instantly recognizable.  If y'all think some of them are too obscure, let me know and I'll change 'em out. :)

citkeane

Oct 13, 2014, 4:46:34 PM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Updated list:

Alaska
Arizona
Colorado  [Claimed]
Delaware
Idaho
Indiana
Minnesota   [Claimed]
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico   [Claimed]
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Utah
Vermont
West Virginia
Wyoming

Up to 30/50 completed. Not bad! Thanks to everyone who made a quiz and is in the process of making one. Still 17 left if anyone else is interested.

HPGirl

Oct 13, 2014, 5:12:45 PM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll make one for Indiana

Quizmaster91

Oct 13, 2014, 6:42:02 PM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
OK, I'll participate now. Completely randomly, I have chosen Arizona.

HPGirl

Oct 13, 2014, 8:19:41 PM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's the Born in Indiana quiz!

Quizmaster91

Oct 13, 2014, 10:37:22 PM10/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The Arizona quiz has been born!

DesertSpartan

Oct 14, 2014, 12:22:42 AM10/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Although the birthplace of the man in  the 13th picture is in Arizona today,  he was born in Mexico.  I think he is one of the most recognizable of the people, but so far is poorly guessed.

citkeane

Oct 14, 2014, 8:09:21 AM10/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think if his place of birth is in modern-day Arizona he's a valid inclusion, although maybe a note wouldn't hurt. Maybe Cesar Chavez and Gabby Giffords would have been worthwhile inclusions.

guilherme_4

Oct 14, 2014, 10:00:13 AM10/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks citkeane, iglew and Quizmaster91 for helping! :)

Tom007

Oct 14, 2014, 11:03:57 AM10/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to throw a few together for Vermont.

Quizmaster91

Oct 14, 2014, 12:14:03 PM10/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've added the information in the game note. I also added Chávez and Giffords (instead of DuBois, who no-one had guessed yet, and increasing the total from 15 to 16). Thanks for the input!

Tom007

Oct 14, 2014, 3:06:18 PM10/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's the Vermont quiz. Only 16 because, well, it's Vermont.

Mic747

Oct 15, 2014, 1:42:48 PM10/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll make one for Oklahoma

Mic747

Oct 15, 2014, 4:45:29 PM10/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
And here is the Oklahoma quiz,
Please tell me if some of the answers are too obscure or if I've left out some very obvious celebrities.

guilherme_4

Oct 16, 2014, 3:25:51 AM10/16/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

citkeane

Oct 17, 2014, 6:09:42 AM10/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Up-updated list:

Now at 35/50 completed. Thanks again. Some tough ones remaining but definitely a couple left where at least 15 is a possibility, without getting super obscure. Any brave soul want to attempt Wyoming. ;)

iglew

Oct 18, 2014, 2:11:56 PM10/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm ready to claim Alaska now.  I didn't before because I was extremely busy at work and I have no experience with making an image quiz, but now the work deadline is past and I'm ready to be educated about image editing.

What sort of software do you guys use for editing the image?  I assume I need to find my component images, size and crop them, and then paste them onto the template image citkeane provided.  What tool do I need to do that?  I've got an old MacBook at home (OS 10.6.8).  At work I've got a Windows machine with all the office basics, but I wouldn't be allowed to download any new software to it.

citkeane

Oct 18, 2014, 2:52:52 PM10/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I use paint.net but there isn't a version for mac. Any basic image editing software should do the trick. I've actually used the standard MS paint to make image quizzes before and it does the trick. So if no one has a suggestion for mac, that could be a fall back if you want to do it on your work machine. The only functionality required is crop (the select function): to produce a square image; and then resizing: to get it to 130x130px so you can copy it into the template I provided.

Bazmerelda

Oct 18, 2014, 3:48:24 PM10/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Even if you've not done much image editing before, I would always recommend finding software with layer handling capabilities. It takes a little longer to learn how to navigate but it will make everything so much simpler and quicker in the long run.

GIMP is free and there should be a Mac version in the download files somewhere. It's crude compared to Photoshop but it does the job.

Droxnar

Oct 19, 2014, 1:14:03 AM10/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I use a site called pixlr.com

It's like a simplified version of Photoshop. I use it for all my image needs. :)

metashades

Oct 19, 2014, 9:20:39 PM10/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
How do I reduce the image size? I'm just working in Paint, uploaded to Imgur. My finished map is 760 kb and it's not supposed to be over 400.

guilherme_4

Oct 20, 2014, 8:54:47 AM10/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I had the same problem, when I changed from .bmp to .jpg (or .jpeg, haha, not very sure), it worked.

citkeane

Oct 20, 2014, 9:20:46 AM10/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
jpeg is a compressed image format so it is generally a little lighter in terms of file size. One feature of paint.net that comes in handy is that when saving the image it allows you to adjust the resolution of the image and thereby reduce the image size to with a given limit.

beisaa

Oct 20, 2014, 6:00:43 PM10/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I can put one together for my neighboring state of West Virginia unless someone else feels strongly about it.

beisaa

Oct 21, 2014, 10:15:39 PM10/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here is the quiz for West Virginia.

metashades

Oct 24, 2014, 10:17:31 PM10/24/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, guys. I changed it from .png to .jpg and the size decreased from over 700kb to 200kb. I wish I would have know this earlier, it would have saved me a lot of cropping and cropping and cropping to get my previous quizzes under the size limit :)
Here it is:

citkeane

Oct 25, 2014, 10:23:30 AM10/25/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
That list again:

Alaska  [claimed by iglew]
Arizona  [by Quizmaster91]
Arkansas [by Droxnar]
Colorado [by metashades]
Indiana  [by HPGirl]
Iowa  [by goseaward]
Kentucky  [by Elasdray]
Maine  [by JoeBeta]
Minnesota  [claimed by standford0008]
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico  [by guilherme_4]
Oklahoma  [by mic747]
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Texas  [by druhutch]
Utah
Vermont  [by Tom007]
Virginia  [by Chenchilla]
West Virginia  [by beisaa]
Wyoming

Might as well give you guys some credit for making these quiz. Currently up to 37/50. States in blue have been completed. States in green have been claimed. States in red have neither been completed or claimed. Thanks to the 13 of you guys who have finished a state since I posted the thread (and iglew and stanford for claiming - there no deadline so feel free to take your time).

SproutCM

Oct 25, 2014, 12:38:14 PM10/25/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm a native NH person, living in NH. I'll work on that.

Chris/SproutCM

stanford0008

Oct 31, 2014, 9:21:49 PM10/31/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Finally got around to making that Minnesota quiz. The only thing that proved troublesome was trying to pick one term to describe Jesse Ventura...

citkeane

Dec 1, 2014, 6:52:46 AM12/1/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Figure I'd give this thread a bit of a bump. Here's the list again:

Alaska  [claimed by iglew]
Arizona  [by Quizmaster91]
Arkansas [by Droxnar]
Colorado [by metashades]
Indiana  [by HPGirl]
Iowa  [by goseaward]
Kentucky  [by Elasdray]
Maine  [by JoeBeta]
Minnesota  [by standford0008]
New Hampshire [claimed by sproutcm]
New Mexico  [by guilherme_4]
Oklahoma  [by mic747]
Oregon
Rhode Island
South Dakota
Texas  [by druhutch]
Utah
Vermont  [by Tom007]
Virginia  [by Chenchilla]
West Virginia  [by beisaa]
Wyoming

Some tricky states (and a couple no-so-tricky) remaining for anyone looking to make a quiz but fresh out of original ideas ;) . I figure this thread will be around a while so feel free to take as long as you want to make the quiz.

Cutthroat

Dec 13, 2014, 5:15:11 PM12/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I can try to make one about Montana, if no one else wants it.

citkeane

Dec 13, 2014, 6:10:05 PM12/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Go ahead! See what you can come up with.

Cutthroat

Dec 14, 2014, 4:46:03 AM12/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here we go, seems like there were a couple more known faces from Montana than I feared. Not that I'd have gotten all of them before making the quiz, some I'd heard the name of, but couldn't connect to a face, some the other way around, and there were some who were strangers to me.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Cutthroat/born-in-montana

SproutCM

Jan 4, 2015, 11:43:41 PM1/4/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Sorry, the new job (back in the State of New Hampshire) took me away from finishing this, but it is done now. I was really disappointed to find that many of the people I associate with being from NH (Adam Sandler, Seth Myers, Steven Tyler, Ken Burns, Robert Frost) grew up here but moved here when they were very little, so I couldn't use them.  So, I decided to make it more of a history quiz to make it playable. I hope you like it.

Chris/SproutCM

gotcha

Jan 5, 2015, 9:56:43 PM1/5/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I like a challenge. I'll claim North Dakota.

gotcha

Jan 11, 2015, 5:05:58 PM1/11/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I just made the North Dakota quiz and set it to private. My thinking was that I could share it here, get some feedback and tweak it a bit, then convert it to public. That may have been a mistake, as it doesn't look like there's a way to convert a private quiz to a public quiz. If so, I may need to make a duplicate version of this and resubmit.

Take a look and give me your thoughts.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/gotcha/born-in-north-dakota

Cutthroat

Jan 11, 2015, 5:16:52 PM1/11/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Don't worry, quizzes set to private can be switched to public by admins and editors. Maybe curators as well?

As for the quiz, I didn't get many at all, but playing it on my phone was a bad choice, made the pictures a bit hard to make out. I'll try again on a computer, see what it looks like then.

needapausebutton

Jan 11, 2015, 6:40:01 PM1/11/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@gotcha:  When you are ready to have it made public, let us know, and an administrator or moderator can do so. You can do that in one of the long-running private-to-public threads (where the request will probably stand out or may be noticed by more of them), or probably here just as well.

gotcha

Jan 17, 2015, 2:34:05 PM1/17/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It's been about a week since I put the link up and nobody's brought up any glaring errors or problems, I think it's ok to make it public. If one of the admins can do that for me, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/gotcha/born-in-north-dakota

needapausebutton

Jan 17, 2015, 4:27:00 PM1/17/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@gotcha: OK it's set to public now.

gotcha

Jan 17, 2015, 6:50:08 PM1/17/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thank you.

Willie G

Jan 26, 2015, 4:20:07 PM1/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'll take Rhode Island, if no one else wants it.

Willie G

Jan 31, 2015, 2:45:26 AM1/31/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

citkeane

May 3, 2015, 2:17:19 PM5/3/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I've been a little inactive lately but figured I'd update this in case anyone else is interested. Thanks again to everyone who made a game:

New Mexico  [by guilherme_4]
Oklahoma  [by mic747]
Oregon
Rhode Island [by WillieG]

hbrianne

May 6, 2015, 2:53:28 PM5/6/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My home state of Washington has already been done, so I'll try my hand at Oregon!

hbrianne

May 14, 2015, 5:18:54 PM5/14/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com