Live5 Is Here

Derek Pharr

Apr 15, 2014, 12:15:21 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,
For the past few weeks we have been working on a new game experience for Sporcle. We kinda of soft launched today. It is called Live5 and it is a new product that relies on the content and questions from the Sporcle Live team.

This is something we will be building on, but I wanted to let ya'll know about it and invite you to play.

Thanks
Derek

Derek Pharr, Vice President of Products
t: @dpharr

goseaward

Apr 15, 2014, 12:45:16 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Interesting!

Erm, so, is there a place to report problems with questions?  (Just a tiny thing I noticed, not anything big or important.)

iglew

Apr 15, 2014, 2:46:37 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Is it my imagination or is the high score just total number of correct answers, as opposed to any ratio of correct to incorrect?

I feel like I got the top score simply by continuing to play longer than any one else has yet today.

Fusty

Apr 15, 2014, 4:49:53 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if this is something major, but as a Brit, I really struggled with most of the geography questions because they were about US geography (2 rounds I've done have had it entirely US geography).

TheCleverone (Erin)

Apr 15, 2014, 6:00:39 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This was something I was going to say, too. Don't get me wrong, US geography and culture is interesting, but that was really US-centric. Really US-centric. I can understand why TV and entertainment are US-centric, and believe that it makes sense for those two to be as US-centric as possible. I can also understand why the geography was very US-centric: when you're going for a large target audience, you want to aim for it to be relevant to people.
But there seemed to be countless US politics questions - there's the entire history of the world to focus on, and tons of art and culture that also is categorised under history, not just one country's government. I stopped clicking on history after I got two rounds of five US politics questions that no-one outside of America has a hope in hell of answering.
And Sports - maybe I'm doing that ignorant British thing again, but there's an entire world of sport. Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world, and yet there was not one question about it. Nothing about other big sports, like tennis or golf, or even general sports questions, like "How many players on a hockey team?" or "In which sport would you find a 'Wing Attack'?". There wasn't even anything about the Olympics.

I appreciate that, as Sporcle Live is aimed at the USA, the USA will be the main audience, but with such a US-centric question base, you run the risk of alienating the rest of the world, where eventually you will be looking to expand.

LabinotHarbuzi

Apr 15, 2014, 6:16:04 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I agree with the comments above, trying to not sound like an ignorant European but It would be pretty cool if there was like a North American version and a European/Rest of the World version. Understandably though, the North Americans are your main target audience.

Beau Phillips

Apr 15, 2014, 11:40:26 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was going to be live pub trivia where it takes points away the longer you took...and take wrong answers away too...
And it is a SOFT opening, meaning they are trying to get a broader tester base to work out any bugs...
I enjoyed it but I saw quite a few of the same questions more than once...

Marie

Apr 15, 2014, 12:47:31 PM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can report questions by clicking the small flag icon. It appears in the right hand corner of the gameplay area, after each individual question has concluded (either timer runs out or you answer the question.)

Marie

ChargingTiger

Apr 15, 2014, 5:54:26 PM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I already suggested on 'The Official Sporcle Badge Thread' that this should have it's own badge, but here's an alternate idea: How about putting something on the user profile page to list how many times a specific user has finished first in the Live5 standings (which I believe reset every day)? It seems like there should be some way for Live5 to be represented on user pages.

iglew

Apr 23, 2014, 3:45:54 AM4/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Do you want us to report typos in the decoy answers?

For example, one question asks "What is the most populous country in the world whose name in English ends in the letter T?"

The five choices are Beruit, French Calumet, Kuwait, Ivory Coast, and Egypt.

It looks like that first one is supposed to be Beirut (ie, the city in Lebanon), but since it's not the right answer it could really be anything, so I don't know if that really counts as a typo.

I've seen similar pseudo-typos on decoy answers in other questions.

Matt Selby

Apr 23, 2014, 1:02:41 PM4/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, please do.