Published Quizzes and Picks

razorz

Jun 17, 2014, 7:51:31 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
If you want to participate, post a breakdown of your published games by the following categories:
  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick

I'm interested what the chances of a publish are based on the Curator/Editor Pick history of the quiz. I don't think this is something HQ considers all that much, but I still think it may be interesting to sum all of our results to see the % breakdown by category. I'm most interested to see how much an Editor Pick increases your chances of a publish vs. a Curator Pick.

razorz

Jun 17, 2014, 7:53:52 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my breakdown:
  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 4
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 17
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 3
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 1

popestcyril David W. Quatrone

Jun 17, 2014, 8:05:25 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 3
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 1
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 0

ALTHOUGH...If you want to know how getting a CP or an EP or both increases your chance of publishing, you want to look at something like: Given it is an CP only, what is the probability of being published.  or Given it has neither an EP nor a CP, what is the probability of being published. etc.

So for instance, for the first one you would take  Number of Published quizzes with a CP, but not an EP / Total number of quizzes that have been CP'd.

Purple_Parrot

Jun 17, 2014, 8:25:21 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Published word ladders with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 1
Published word ladders with an Editor Pick only: 2
Published word ladders with a Curator Pick only: 12
Published word ladders with neither an Editor Pick nor a curator Pick: 12

Other published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 2
Other published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 8
Other published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 4
Other published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick nor a Curator Pick: 1

PP

Sheldon

Jun 17, 2014, 8:29:29 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick
  1.   2
  2.   3
  3.   4
  4.   21

These numbers are probably a bit misleading since 18 of my publishes are Missing Word quizzes (three of which had CPs before publish).

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

razorz

Jun 17, 2014, 8:43:20 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Good point about Daily Doses everyone. I've never had a DD publish, so I didn't think about those. I like seeing the DDs separate from the rest.

DesertSpartan

Jun 17, 2014, 8:44:49 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think there is a big distinction between Daily Dose and Non-Daily Dose Publishes and my stats bear it out.    One Third (12 of 36) of all my EP quizzes (including 2 of 10 that were both EPd and CPD0 have been published.  Daily Dose quizzes make up my non-EP publishes They include 7 of my 10 CPd Daily Dose quizzes. My only EP'd Missing Word quiz was never published and I have 30 non-daily dose quizzes with a CP and no EP and non are published..

For non Daily Dose Quizzes:

  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 2
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 10
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 0
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 0

For Daily Dose Quizzes:

  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 0
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 7
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 3
-
On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 5:42:34 PM UTC-7, beforever wrote:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 5
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 13
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 19
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 21

Scott

Jun 17, 2014, 9:01:14 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here are mine, I will also split for DD/non-DD.   In the past year, I've had 11 non daily-dose publishes and all had an EP/CP....at least for me I've found it is much harder to get a regular quiz published without getting this recognition first.

Non Daily Dose
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 3
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 10
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 1
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 5

Daily Dose
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 1
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 7
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 5

TOTAL:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 3
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 11
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 8
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 10

Cryptus

Jun 17, 2014, 9:38:14 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Not that it makes much difference, but here's mine again, with DD quizzes (well, the one DD quiz) separated out:

DD quizzes:
  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick- 0
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only- 1
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only- 0
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick- 0
Non-DD quizzes
  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick- 1
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only- 3
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only- 0
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick- 3

stanford0008

Jun 17, 2014, 9:42:52 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Published
EP and CP - 2
Just EP - 12
Just CP - 8
Neither - 4

Non-Published
EP and CP - 4
Just EP - 11
Just CP - 12
Neither - 87

I think providing both the published and non published numbers really helps to distinguish the difference between the categories. 2 publishes with both vs. 4 with neither makes it seem like neither is better for getting published, but when you look at the non published numbers you can see that percentage-wise this is clearly not the case.

Kazaxat

Jun 17, 2014, 10:06:00 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My numbers feel woefully inadequate in this thread, but I suppose I'll contribute anyway. I think I prefer stanford's format best:

Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 0
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only:
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 0

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 3
# of
non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 1
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 3
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 12

SproutCM

Jun 17, 2014, 10:26:22 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 17
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 233
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 30
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 335

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 32
# of
non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 277
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 156
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 705

milc

Jun 17, 2014, 10:56:52 PM6/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My numbers here too seem quite inadequate, particularly after SproutCM, but I may as well put them it here as well:
Published: (none are Daily Doses)
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 0
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only:
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 3 (all over 2 years ago)

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
# of
non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 0
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 3
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 47

Caramba

Jun 18, 2014, 1:23:04 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Published
EP: 61
CP: 4
Both: 4
Neither: 65

Unpublished
EP: 62
CP: 40
Both: 7
Neither: 435

I do lots of big series so the Neithers don't bother me as generally 0 or 1 in each series will be picked. I'll also take the opportunity to thank the many editors and curators who've given my quizzes a look, if not always a pick. Thanks!

Also, back in the day I had a number of other accounts which I used if I went over monthly totals or if I wanted to experiment. Or if I just wanted to see how a quiz would perform without the Caramba name attached. The combined totals for those accounts are:

Published
EP: 22
CP: 0
Both: 1
Neither: 10

Unpublished
EP: 18
CP: 20
Both: 0
Neither: 43

Dave

goseaward

Jun 18, 2014, 1:24:04 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Non-Daily Dose:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 2
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 4

# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only:
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 0

Daily Dose:

# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 1
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 2
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 1

I also computed the risk ratio of getting published (weird name given that getting published is a benefit!) for some various things.  The risk ratio is basically: if you have two characteristics (having an EP or not having an EP, say), and you have two outcomes (was published or was not published), then the risk ratio tells you how much more likely something with an EP is to get published than something without an EP.

Non-Daily Dose quizzes:
- Having a CP and EP was a risk ratio of 6.8.
- The risk ratio for an EP was basically infinite: I've had no non-Daily Dose publishes without an EP first.
- The risk ratio for a CP is 2.  Pretty mild.

Daily Dose quizzes:
- Risk ratio for an EP is 2.2
- Risk ratio for a CP is 2.8
Getting a Daily Dose published is apparently not that sensitive to CPs or EPs.

All quizzes:
- CP and EP: risk ratio 3.8
- EP: risk ratio 11.3
- CP: risk ratio 2.6
So the EP mostly determines things--getting a CP on top of that doesn't add a lot, nor does a CP by itself.  That inspired me to try the risk ratio of a CP+EP, given that a quiz already has an EP.  And for the non-Daily Dose quizzes, that risk ratio was...0.8!  Having a CP and an EP actually made a quiz slightly less likely to be published, relative to having an EP alone. :)  But these are all very small numbers.

As a comparison, the getting-published risk ratio for making a Daily Dose quiz, vs making another kind of quiz, was ~6.  That is, just making a Daily Dose quiz instead of a non-Daily Dose quiz was as useful for getting published as getting both a CP and an EP on that non-Daily Dose quiz!

I have this all on a small spreadsheet and I'm happy to share (or to collect data from folks and compute this for all of us together)--you need all the numbers above, plus the totals of the unpublished quizzes with the same CP/EP/daily dose breakdown.

And one final note: really it's not getting an EP that makes you likely to get published; it's making a publication-worthy quiz that makes you likely to get an EP.
Message has been deleted

goseaward

Jun 18, 2014, 1:34:52 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Um, disregard my last comment--apparently I can't read, and sproutcm put published/unpublished instead of daily dose/non daily dose, so I can actually compute this for his numbers!

The risk ratio for EPs was 1.5.  Getting a CP+EP had the same chance of a publish as everything else combined, and a CP was actually a slight reduction in publication chances.  I didn't say in the last comment, but I hypothesize that's because you can get CPs in niche categories that have too small an audience to really be published, regardless of quality.

beforever

Jun 18, 2014, 4:55:52 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Non-DD
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 5
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 12
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 9
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 15

DD
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 1
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 10
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 6

Total
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 5
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 13
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 19
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 21

beforever

Jun 18, 2014, 4:57:16 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
sprout, did you have to count all those, or did you have those numbers somewhere convenient as a moderator/meticulous recordkeeper?  :P

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Jun 18, 2014, 6:37:19 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think he has an Excel compiling all of his 2000 quizzes!

Thoughtfully thumbed from the MyPhone

Simon Averick

Jun 18, 2014, 10:02:29 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-university

Published Daily Dose:

1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 1
2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 3
3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 25
4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 12

Published Non-Daily Dose:

1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 4
2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 14
3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 4
4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 4

Non-Published Daily Dose:

1. # of quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 1
2. # of quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 3
3. # of quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 13
4. # of quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 39

Non-Published Non-Daily Dose:

1. # of quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 14
2. # of quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 25
3. # of quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 65
4. # of quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 138

Message has been deleted

Quizmaster91

Jun 18, 2014, 10:35:18 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My stats are nothing compared to most or yours, but here they are:

Published Daily Dose (only DD published):

1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 1

2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 0
3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 1
4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick nor a Curator Pick: 0

Non-Published Daily Dose:

1. # of quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
2. # of quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 2
3. # of quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 0
4. # of quizzes with neither an Editor Pick nor a Curator Pick: 8

Non-Published Non-Daily Dose:

1. # of quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 1
2. # of quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 6
3. # of quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 6
4. # of quizzes with neither an Editor Pick nor a Curator Pick: 97

SproutCM

Jun 18, 2014, 10:50:36 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Haha,

No, I stopped maintaining my giant spreadsheet around quiz 1300, and I'm now at 2400. Since Sporcle fixed up all its quiz list pages, there was very little reason to maintain my own data once it was easy to find. All I did was do a search for the quiz page of " ~", " *", and "~ *" and do a little math to account for the intersection.

Chris

vikZ

Jun 18, 2014, 11:34:41 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Daily Dose
*** (I'm counting Mixed Word quizzes that were released before DD was dropped) ***

Published Editor Pick Only: 0
Unpublished Editor Pick Only: 1 - The 1 is a Mixed Word
Percentage Published: 0%

Published Curator Pick Only: 20
Unpublished Curator Pick Only: 7
Percentage Published: 74%

Published Curator & Editor Pick: 0
Unpublished Curator and Editor Pick: 1 - the 1 is a Mixed Word
Percentage Published: 0%

Published with No Picks: 33
Unpublished with No Picks: 14
Percentage Published: 70%

Regular Quizzes

Published Editor Pick Only: 11
Unpublished Editor Pick Only: 20
Percentage Published: 65%

Published Curator Pick Only: 1
Unpublished Curator Pick Only: 16
Percentage Published: 6%

Published Curator and Editor Pick: 1
Unpublished Curator and Editor Pick: 4
Percentage Published: 20%

Published with No Picks: 1
Unpublished with No Picks: 47
Percentage Published: 2%

Michael

Jun 18, 2014, 11:58:44 AM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
^ Ohhhh, so that's the kind of thing I'll pick up when I do my PhD next year! Such smart thinking~

RobPro

Jun 18, 2014, 2:12:10 PM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I only have one DD publish out of 133 publishes quite a low ratio :P

Published: (one DD)
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 5
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 46
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 18
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 64

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 5
# of
non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 22
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 50
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 306

iglew

Jun 18, 2014, 5:56:26 PM6/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The numbers in parentheses are: word ladders, missing words, and other.

Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 6 (3-0-3)

# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 9 (2-0-7)
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 24 (16-6-2)
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 3 (2-0-1)

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 10 (0-1-9)
# of
non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 16 (0-0-16)
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 29 (1-1-27)
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 110 (2-0-108)

I agree with Go Seaward that any correlation is not because a CP or EP causes a publish, but rather having a high-quality quiz causes both EPs and publishes.

That said, I do think the CP may make it happen faster.  Nearly all of my Word Ladders get published eventually, but I've noticed that the ones that get a CP often get published fairly soon after the pick while the unpicked ones tend to sit around for several months before they get noticed. (Of my three currently unpublished ladders, one will remain unpublished for a specific reason and the other two I assume will get picked up sooner or later -- though at the moment I imagine they're probably buried underneath the flood of ladders from the recent contest.)

One more note:  One of my published word ladders was published as a regular front-page quiz, not the Daily Dose.

citkeane

Jun 19, 2014, 6:36:22 AM6/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I have quite a lot of daily dose but I can't think of a way of breaking down the picked vs unpicked apart from manually counting them, which I'm too lazy to do. A brief scan would suggest that a sizable chuck of my unpicked published quizzes are daily doses. Love this kind of navel gazing.

Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 13
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 63
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 51
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 59

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 17
# of non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 32
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 45
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 80

razorz

Jun 19, 2014, 6:46:41 PM6/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here is an update so far. In my spreadsheet, I have been been separating publishes reported as Daily Doses, but I'm going to give the data all together for now:

Not including SproutCM's publishes (n=927):
% of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 15%
% of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 26%
% of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 24%
% of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 36%

Including SproutCM's publishes (n=1542):
% of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 10%
% of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 31%
% of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 16%
% of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 43%

Quizmaster91

Jun 19, 2014, 7:46:39 PM6/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Nice stats. One nitpick though; the people on sporcle university are often curators or editors themselves and since it seems to be not done to give yourself a cp or ep, the percentage of publishes without cp or ep will be higher here. This is visible when you look at the difference in numbers with and without sproutcm. With sprout included, the number of publishes without c/ep becomes even higher: sprout has many publishable games but probably rarely gives himself a pick. Therefore he had less publishes with cp ep or both than your average Sporcle quizmaker.

razorz

Jun 19, 2014, 7:54:30 PM6/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think having a publish without a CP or EP can generally (but not always) be attributed to one of two things: a Daily Dose publish or a publish from long ago when Editor Picks and Curator Picks were uncommon or even nonexistent.

JoeBeta

Jun 20, 2014, 4:07:58 AM6/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Published Daily Dose:
1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 2
3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 13
4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 6

Published Non-Daily Dose:
1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 11
2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 22
3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 3
4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 1

Here are my stats for published quizzes. Please throw them into the pool of statistics. Thanks.

Mateo56

Jun 20, 2014, 8:56:36 AM6/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Might as well see how things change after my, erm, 14 publishes.

Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 4
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 4
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 5 (1 DD)

# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 1

Contributed:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 4
# of non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 13
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 39 (2 DD)
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 170 (2 DD)

D̶r̶a̶f̶t̶s̶
:

Tom Pajor

Jun 20, 2014, 3:11:00 PM6/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

slipkid:

Non Daily Dose

# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 6
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 63
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 9
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 20

Daily Dose

# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 0
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 26
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 58

TOTAL:

# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 6
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 63
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 35
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 78

DesertSpartan

Jun 20, 2014, 3:12:12 PM6/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
To format so my non-published are also clearly discernible

For non Daily Dose Quizzes:

  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 2
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 10
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 0
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 0

For Daily Dose Quizzes (all are missing word):

  1. # of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 0
  2. # of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 0
  3. # of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 7
  4. # of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 3

Contributed Quizzes:
  1. # of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 8
  2. # of non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 18
  3. # of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 32
  4. # of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 142

I also tend to think, similar to razorz, that a lot of the non-daily dose published quizzes without first receiving a CP or EP occurred in the earlier days of Sporcle.  My first quiz was created in August 2012 and my first publish was in October 2013.  I also agree that CP'd and EP'd quizzes get published more often because they are many of the better quizzes, which is why they were picked and the pick draws more attention to the quiz.  Just under 10% of my quizzes have been publised including just under 32% of my quizzes that have at least an EP.   Of my Daily Dose quizzes with a CP, 70% have been published of my 29 quizzes that received a CP and no EP and are not Daily Dose none have been published.  Of my 145 quizzes that received no CP or EP, just 3 have been published and all publishes were Daily Dose.  Of the 145 contributed quizzes with no CP or EP six are word ladders and five are missing word quizzes, I believe the other 134 have almost no chance of publish without a pick of some type first.  I will also add that some have too narrow of a topic to be published or require continuous update and are not good candidates for publish.  A few others re just not very good and are not worthy of even a CP.  I have revamped a few of my worst quizzes and some with good results, but I have never taken a quiz off-line no matter how bad it is.

CCCP

Jun 20, 2014, 4:44:03 PM6/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 6
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 17

# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 7
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 7

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 15
# of
non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 26
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 35
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 76

razorz

Jun 21, 2014, 11:39:54 AM6/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's an update, as thanks to your posts, we've added 300+ publishes to the sample. Daily Dose publishes are included in the total, but I've also separated out the DD statistics (for those who reported DD publishes separately) in parentheses. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, you'll have to accept these stats with a grain of salt. I believe we'd have to look at types of publishes by year to get a clearer story, as I think EPs and CPs have gained importance over the years. As the pool of potential publishes increases each day, EPs and CPs must make it a little easier to decide what's publishable.

All Publishes - n=1849 (DD Publishes - n=325):
1. % of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 10% (DD=2%)
2. % of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 32% (DD=4%)
3. % of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 17% (DD=46%)
4. % of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 41% (DD=48%)

guilherme_4

Jun 24, 2014, 2:11:00 AM6/24/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if a bit late but here is my (poor) contribution:

Published
EP: 1
CP: 1
Both/neither: 0

Unpublished
EP: 0
CP: 2
Both: 0
Neither: 69

Caramba

Jun 24, 2014, 12:27:39 PM6/24/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations on being published yesterday, guilherme_4. It must be pretty exciting in Brazil right now. It was when we had the Olympics 4 years ago.

Dave

Brimtown

Jun 24, 2014, 3:53:11 PM6/24/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just got my first quiz published a few days ago.

Published:
EP: 1
CP: 0
Neither: 0

Unpublished:
EP: 4
CP: 0
Neither: 23

guilherme_4

Jun 25, 2014, 7:08:01 PM6/25/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!
Yep, it's unexplainably amazing, makes everyone here want the WC to be held in Brazil every time. I've been to Australia v Netherlands and I assure that going to a World Cup match is obligatory to every football fan. A top experience, no doubts. :)

naqwerty3

Jul 10, 2014, 1:07:04 AM7/10/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 5
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 8
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 1
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 3

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 5
# of non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 11
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 13
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 137

goseaward

Jul 19, 2014, 4:34:26 PM7/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think I implied I'd do statistics on people's numbers as they continued to post.  Here's where we are:

Without SproutCM's numbers:
- Risk ratio for an EP + CP: 1.8 (you're 80% more likely to get published with an EP+CP than only a CP, only an EP, or neither)
- For an EP or EP+CP: 3.3 vs having a CP or no pick
- For an EP only: 3.5 vs having a CP or no pick
- For a CP only: 2.5 vs having no pick
- For an EP+CP assuming you already have an EP: 0.7 (you're less likely to get published with an EP+CP than just an EP!  About half the EPs in the sample have been published, but only 1/3 of the EP+CPs).
With SproutCM's numbers, the equivalents are 1.3, 2.4, 2.5, 1.4, and 0.7 respectively--I report this separately since he's got half the EPs in the tally, and a much higher percentage of non-picked publishes (1/2 of his non-picked quizzes are published, vs 1/8 of everybody else--I suspect due to a combination of excellent quizmaking + length of time making quizzes).

Meanwhile, the best way to get published is still a Daily Dose quiz.  For the people who gave DD and non DD published and unpublished numbers, the risk ratio for getting published just by making a daily dose is...7.4!  Much better than an EP. :)  Almost all of that is due to the publishing of unpicked (and to a lesser extent CP-only) Daily Dose quizzes.  Within the Daily Doses, though, it still helps to get a CP or EP, relative to not having gotten one.

Hejman

Jul 21, 2014, 11:55:30 PM7/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm a bit late to the party on this one- had to get sprout to show me how he searched them.  Here are my stats:

Published:
# of published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 27
# of published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 216
# of published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 36
# of published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 156

Non-Published:
# of non-published quizzes with both an Editor Pick and a Curator Pick: 16
# of
non-published quizzes with an Editor Pick only: 105
# of non-published quizzes with a Curator Pick only: 61
# of non-published quizzes with neither an Editor Pick or a Curator Pick: 314