Increased play count on an old quiz

william2

Jul 8, 2014, 12:43:34 AM7/8/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just had a look at the play count for my published quizzes, and this one, which was my first published quiz back in August of last year, has all of a sudden had 250+ plays just in the past 40 minutes. Usually that one has no more than 10 or 20 plays per day. Wondering what could be the cause of this sudden surge of plays. As far as I know, it wasn't crosslinked to any of the published quizzes released today.

Anyone else encountered this interesting phenomenon and able to explain it? Maybe someone getting a jump start on the 1000 plays religion badge that will surely be released in the near future and playing it over and over?

iglew

Jul 8, 2014, 1:32:33 AM7/8/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
There used to be a "from the Sporcle archives" link on the front page.  I don't know if that's still there, but if your quiz gets linked from it you can get a bump.  That happened to me once.

Otherwise, I'd guess your quiz got a link from an outside web page.

SproutCM

Jul 8, 2014, 2:00:49 AM7/8/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
There is also the Sporcle facebook account that posts quizzes, and your quiz might also be part of the Minute Morsel daily dose.  Those can bring up plays too.

Caramba

Jul 8, 2014, 11:25:27 AM7/8/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Or it can turn up as a common "You Might Also Like..." link on a newly published quiz.

Or it can be in the Most Played this date in x year list (I doubt that's the case here)