Updated rather than Featured?

zalkon2004

Apr 26, 2015, 1:06:32 PM4/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed, maybe this has been around for a while and I'm just now noticing, that published quizzes say "Updated on" rather than "Featured on" at the top of the page. That wording seems kind of strange to me especially for newly published quizzes.

El_Dandy

Apr 26, 2015, 6:48:26 PM4/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I noticed it yesterday and assumed that it had been in place for a while and I just never noticed.

Sheldon

Apr 26, 2015, 7:53:03 PM4/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It seems a bit strange, as zalkon said. Plus if the quiz is actually updated after being published, the date replaces the publication date shown. I guess it's handy to have the date it was last updated for quizzes that need it, but I'd rather have the original date, or both.

Charging Tiger

Apr 26, 2015, 8:25:25 PM4/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'd imagine that if you went to the user's Published Games section, you'd find the date of publish.

Matt Selby

Apr 26, 2015, 8:38:00 PM4/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
We made the change just a couple of days ago, though Charging Tiger is correct,  the published date is still available on the quiz author's profile.

We thought it would be useful to see when quizzes were last updated, especially those that change around a lot.

This isn't set in stone though, so if you'd like to see the published date back where it was quiz pages, please be sure to let me know.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Charging Tiger <chargi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd imagine that if you went to the user's Published Games section, you'd find the date of publish.

guilherme_4

Apr 26, 2015, 10:21:39 PM4/26/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'd appreciate seeing both published and updated dates in the quiz page.

LabinotHarbuzi

Apr 27, 2015, 2:41:18 AM4/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I don't mind either, but maybe if you wanted to include both on the quiz page, you could do it where you have the 'Featured date' and then when you hover over it, it shows the last time it was updated. Or vice versa. Just a thought :)

razorz

Apr 27, 2015, 8:20:57 AM4/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I like the update. When you have geographical (i.e. Cabo Verde and Palestine) and sports team updates (i.e. Arizona Coyotes and New Orleans Pelicans), it's good to know Sporcle is on it's game, and this change will allow you all to demonstrate that.

Hejman

Apr 27, 2015, 3:21:25 PM4/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I like knowing that it's been updated and when (just as razorz said) but always was interested to see the original publication date.  On sports, history and even geography quizzes, that can be interesting information to know.  Not sure there's a way to attractively display both, but I'd love to see both right at the top.

zalkon2004

Apr 27, 2015, 4:18:45 PM4/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
As to my first comment, I just thought it was strange for all new quizzes to say "Updated". I think it's a great idea for users to be able to see the last time a quiz was updated. Not just in sports and the like where things change constantly but it could possibly also help provoke more "reports" on some of the more obscure published quizzes where an update is required.

I do think though that the "featured date" is a valuable piece of information that shouldn't require too much digging to find. Having to go to the users page to get that info is a little inconvenient. Since, I would assume, that admin doesn't want the pages to be too cluttered or congested and I know I wouldn't like to see something like the "created date" sacrificed for the "featured date" if it were possible to implement LabinotHarbuzi's suggestion above about the hovering that could be ideal.

The updated date would be that which is displayed therefore allowing people to immediately see if a quiz is out of date without taking any further action and for those curious about the original publication date, it's conveniently there if you want it without leaving the page.

Riley Grigg

Apr 27, 2015, 4:45:46 PM4/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't see it on my device in that case.
--Riley Grigg

Sent from Riley's NOOK Color

LTH

Apr 27, 2015, 5:42:03 PM4/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I, too, would like it if you found a way to include both. I already miss having the featured date on there.

El_Dandy

Apr 27, 2015, 8:23:59 PM4/27/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think it should say 'updated' only when the quiz has been updated since being published. It should say featured otherwise.

Matt Selby

Apr 29, 2015, 7:24:44 PM4/29/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Quick update here, we've added the featured date back on published quizzes, it's now hanging out right next to the created date below the quiz comments.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

zalkon2004

Apr 29, 2015, 7:57:30 PM4/29/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
That's great! Thanks Sporcle!

Riley Grigg

Apr 29, 2015, 8:35:40 PM4/29/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yes. Thanks.

zalkon2004 <bysoftb...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's great! Thanks Sporcle!

JoeBeta

El_Dandy

Apr 30, 2015, 12:28:18 AM4/30/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This works for me as well. Great fix!

LTH

Apr 30, 2015, 9:35:57 PM4/30/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sporcle! Definitely nice to have that back.

hscer

May 5, 2015, 1:01:09 PM5/5/15
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I missed this whole hashing out process but wholly approve of the final result!