We Need Another Contest, Don't We?

amazingjosh

Apr 13, 2014, 10:03:16 AM4/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This is the fourteenth quiz-making contest.

How it Works:
  • For the contest, there will be a theme. All entries must pertain to that theme in any way.
  • To enter your quiz, just post it on this thread.
  • April 19 will be the last day for entering. Voting will then start at midnight EST, and take place for 2 days.
  • The winning quiz will (if all goes well) get published on Sporcle.

How to Vote:

Email me (sporcl...@gmail.com) with your vote. Your email should look something like this:

1. [Quiz 1] (your favorite entry)
2. [Quiz 2] (second favorite entry)
3. [Quiz 3] (third)

1st place is worth 4 points, 2nd is worth 3, and 3rd is 2. Please only tell me your top three.
Voting will start at midnight EST on April 20, (Easter)  and will be over in at midnight on the 22nd. I will then tally up the votes and post our winner here.

Other Rules:
  • You may only enter one quiz.
  • You may vote if you've entered, but please don't vote for your own quiz.
  • When voting, make sure to tell me your Sporcle username.
  • Entries must be created after the contest has started.
This week's theme is:

Easter

Cool.  This is one of the most underappreciated subcategories.  Maybe with some entries we can add a second page of created quizzes on the Easter tag page.  Good luck!

And for old times sake, we have every living winner listed.

Sunny, not so Delight (name was changed upon publication) by RobPro

beforever

Apr 13, 2014, 11:10:18 AM4/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Chenchilla (Jonathan Chen)

Apr 13, 2014, 5:57:20 PM4/13/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The time limit for my entry, Easter Egg Matching Hunt, may be too short or too long, but I will change it if necessary

Hejman

Apr 14, 2014, 12:19:33 AM4/14/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My entry: Easter Movies.

MrChewypoo

Apr 15, 2014, 11:29:54 AM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm game, and thanks for the inspiration!  It took a bit of time to make this, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Cheers!

Brimtown

Apr 15, 2014, 2:13:47 PM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here's my contest entry:

Peter Cottontail lyrics

Been a Sporcle fan for awhile, but just started making quizzes.

SproutCM

Apr 15, 2014, 11:46:15 PM4/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Here is my entry:

Quizmaster91

Apr 16, 2014, 8:31:39 PM4/16/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
OK, here's my entry: Easter eggs.
Feedback is welcome, I'm not really sure if the time is right and if some clues could be worded differently (but feedback on other aspects of the quiz are welcome too, of course).

beforever

Apr 16, 2014, 8:46:23 PM4/16/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I think the yellow a bit lighter (#FCFFB3), the purple a bit darker (#4A0F44) and the red a bit deeper (#B81111) might be better, and yet still achieve the look you're going for. I imagine some players might find the colors just a tad jarring. I've provided my idea of what hex codes might look better in parentheses, but you know... it may still need a bit of readjusting, which you can do.

From a first look - I think anywhere between 8-10 minutes is alright.

@Chenchilla, forgot to say when you first posted - lowering it to 2 minutes wouldn't be too outrageous in my opinion!

Quizmaster91

Apr 16, 2014, 9:48:06 PM4/16/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
@beforever: thanks for reviewing! I readjusted the colors (Yellow #FFFFB3, Purple #3A0F44, Red #C22727 and Pink #FF77FF). I hope that it's less harsh on the eyes now, while still being themed 'eastery'. But, as proven by earlier quizzes by us both, you're better in this kind of thing than I am so if there still is a color issue to be fixed please don't hesitate to comment here, in the quiz, or to shoot me a mail.

ChargingTiger

Apr 17, 2014, 12:04:01 AM4/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My entry: Low in the Grave He Lay (it's a lyrics quiz for a Christian hymn)

metashades

Apr 17, 2014, 11:53:46 PM4/17/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

My entry:

and @ Josh, thanks for making another contest! I really like these.
FYI, I couldn't tell from the title of this thread that this was a contest thread. So it's possible that other people weren't clear on that either and may not know this contest is going on.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

mk31

Apr 18, 2014, 10:44:15 AM4/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

DesertSpartan

Apr 18, 2014, 10:48:44 PM4/18/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

geshmonkey

Apr 19, 2014, 4:47:34 PM4/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Apr 19, 2014, 5:07:53 PM4/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Today is the last day for entering! Get yer quizzes in in the next 7 hours please!

solyaris

Apr 19, 2014, 10:04:23 PM4/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

amazingjosh

Apr 20, 2014, 9:38:17 AM4/20/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Please vote!

The quizzes are
Easter Movies (Hejman)
'Easter' Bunker (sproutcm)
Easter eggs (Quizmaster91)
Low in the Grave He Lay (ChargingTiger)

Thanks for all your entries and support, and I hope to see quite a few votes today and tomorrow!

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Apr 21, 2014, 9:42:28 PM4/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
2 hours left!

Amazingjosh Sporcle

Apr 22, 2014, 2:46:15 PM4/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late reply. I was unable to access my computer today but we have some winners! I got a ton of votes, that were clustered around a few really great quizzes.

In third place we have Easter Egg Matching Hunt by Chenchilla! This quiz garnered 18 votes.

In second place we have Easter Mixed Word Grab Basket from mk31, a very good entry for his first contest! Twenty points for him.

And our winner- very experienced creator, and just now able to add contest winning to his long resume is MrChewyPoo with Cross Words with Divine Intervention (Image)!
This quiz, with 27 points was great!

Thanks everyone for your parcipitation!

Thoughtfully thumbed from the MyPhone

Quizmaster91

Apr 22, 2014, 3:17:00 PM4/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
That's unfair, MrChewyPoo had help from above!

But seriously, I didn't have time to vote this time but I couldn't have picked a better top three. Congratulations to all!

druhutch

Apr 22, 2014, 11:29:05 PM4/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I was so sad I couldn't participate this time, but glad to see it again and amazed at all the fantastic entries. Josh, I appreciate you putting these together (as I'm sure everyone does), and would love to see them as often as your time will allow. As you can see, there's always plenty of interest.

One minor suggestion: If you choose to go with a holiday theme, maybe try it once where you do it like a month or so before the holiday occurs. These contests have produced loads of incredibly creative and ready-for-publish quizzes, but for contests like this most recent one where the theme and deadline is the holiday, a contestant would have no hope of seeing their quiz published for at least a year. And regardless of that, as an editor I would have loved to have made EPs on some of these on actual Easter or a day or two before, but out of respect for the contest avoided doing so. I mean, I've EP-ed Chewy's quiz now, but it's not as relevant as it could've been.

Anyway, like I said, I really love that we're still doing these contests, and my comment above is not a criticism just a suggestion specific to "holiday" themes. Keep up the good work.

metashades

Apr 23, 2014, 12:14:11 AM4/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Congrats to Mrchewypoo, mk31, and Chenchilla! Your quizzes were really great, the recognition is well-deserved.

And thanks again to Josh for running the contest!

MrChewypoo

Apr 23, 2014, 1:04:25 PM4/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Oh wow!  Awesome!  Fantastic!  Thanks everyone, and thanks Josh!  You're amazing :)

Another feather in my orange toque...

I had this quiz somewhat done in Excel a while back, but I wasn't happy with the concept and thought it would be bashed because of the dead ends on each cross.  It wasn't a true "word ladder" where you could work from the other direction.  Then this contest came and reminded me about it.  I figured I'd just dust if off and release it, not expecting it to go well.  Then the inspiration to provide the additional clues via "divine intervention" hit me in the middle of the night and, well, here we are.  I'd like to thank my friends, my family, God, my future self... except none of them actually give two poops about it so I won't.

Instead, I'll thank all of you for contributing, voting and playing.

Cheers!

Chewy

iglew

Apr 23, 2014, 5:45:55 PM4/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I hadn't been paying much attention to this quiz, but I just played the winner and it's fantastic.

Sporcle admin should already have this on the calendar for publication next Easter.

beforever

Apr 27, 2014, 12:56:26 PM4/27/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm late to this, but congrats to all the placing quizmakers!

18, 20 and 27 points to each of them felt like a lot to me... either you three knocked it out of the park, or you were popular amongst more people. Either way, very impressive. Looking forward to the next one some time soon, amazingjosh. These sorts of initiatives encourage a lot of good work.