How to create '20 most populated cities in a country' quizzes?

uryue...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2013, 12:02:56 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I like '20 most populated cities in a country' quizzes like the following: http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/italian_cities, http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/spanish_cities, http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/frenchpopulouscities, http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/germany_cities, http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/russiancities

But it seems to be impossible to create new quizzes for other countries. That is, I see no way of creating a quiz with a map and points on the map for answers. Does anyone have any idea how these quizzes can be created? Thanks.

Hullabaloo

Apr 18, 2013, 4:56:10 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I don't think us average Joes have the facility for such a quiz, unfortunately.

Hejman

Apr 18, 2013, 9:31:32 AM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Until a week ago, the map tool was available only to the admins and even then, I got the sense from them that it was not easy to use.  A week ago Friday, HQ opened the map tool to the moderators (I know that includes me, sproutcm and LTH, but I'm not 100% certain that there are not others in that category as well) to beta test it, make some quizzes and try to find bugs and ways to improve the tool and make it more user friendly.  I haven't talked to LTH since then, but I know that sprout and I have both reported several bugs and suggestions for improvements to the tool to HQ.  I can also tell you that the tool is buggy, as admin told us it was and that HQ has said that the tool will need a substantial redesign before it could be made available on a wider basis.  I certainly can't speak for HQ, and perhaps Matt or Derek will want to weigh in here, but it may well be that there are a number of higher priority items that will take precedence over that.

Matt Selby

Apr 18, 2013, 12:14:12 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Yeah,

Releasing it to just a few people really put into focus how difficult it can be to use. With what just Hejman and Sprout are coming up with, I'm really excited to release it to everyone, but it's going to take us a while to get there, unfortunately.

-Matt

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM, Hejman <sporcle...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

beforever

Apr 18, 2013, 12:53:20 PM4/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
If master quiz-makers like Hejman and sprout are having a few issues with the tool, then it would certainly be better that it gets tweaked and perfected before it's released to everyone. Take all the time you need, admin and engineers, and best of luck with it! Looking forward to seeing the final product when it's done!

uryue...@gmail.com

Apr 28, 2013, 1:44:55 AM4/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just a follow up. The quiz at http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/russiancities no longer displays the rankings of the cities: e.g., Moscow is number one, St. Petersburg is number two. Is there any way to reactivate these numbers?

Thanks.

uryue...@gmail.com

Apr 29, 2013, 9:51:12 PM4/29/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just bumping this, as the rankings still don't display.

Thanks.

uryue...@gmail.com

May 1, 2013, 8:59:38 AM5/1/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Bumping again. Does anyone know what's going on?

MovieGuru

May 1, 2013, 10:18:46 AM5/1/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I hadn't played that quiz before.. sounds like it used to show rankings of population?
If those were taken out, it was probably a style choice by an admin, so those are unlikely to be put back in.

uryue...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2013, 10:02:56 PM6/18/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm following up on the map tool. Is it ready for users now?

Thanks.

uryue...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2013, 2:23:46 AM6/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just bumping this topic to see if the map tool is ready.

RobPro

Jun 20, 2013, 8:11:18 PM6/20/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
No it isn't yet I don't think

uryue...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2014, 5:02:47 PM4/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Just bumping this topic to see if the map tool is ready.

Mic747

Apr 21, 2014, 6:50:10 PM4/21/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

uryue...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2014, 4:27:02 PM4/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information.

I'm trying to follow the blog post, and make a '20 cities of Poland' map quiz, but I'm running into a problem. Playing the quiz I've created, I start out with 'question mark tags' on the map, but when I type a correct answer, the city name completely removes the question mark tag. But I'd like the tag to remain as a 'check mark tag', next to the city name, as per the 'Edit Map' arranging I did. Here's the quiz: http://www.sporcle.com/games/DingoDongo/twenty_poland_cities

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

RobPro

Apr 22, 2014, 8:04:13 PM4/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
You have all the answer locations showing as they are right from the start. To have the green checkmark show up when correct, you must have the 'Use hints and...' option ticked. But this means you cant have all the locations show up at the start. If you want the markers still on the city locations like you have, you could add them on manually to the picture, which is like what i've done here: http://www.sporcle.com/games/RobPro/c-metros-on-a-map

Hope this helps a bit.

uryue...@gmail.com

Apr 22, 2014, 10:58:26 PM4/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
All right, thanks a lot.

uryue...@gmail.com

May 15, 2014, 3:33:42 AM5/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm still having a problem. I've published two games (http://www.sporcle.com/games/DingoDongo/twenty-india-cities and http://www.sporcle.com/games/DingoDongo/twenty_poland_cities), but I can't get them to behave properly. I want them to behave like this game: http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/frenchpopulouscities

Does anyone know how to make my two games behave like the '20 top French cities' game?

Thanks.

Simon Averick

May 15, 2014, 3:35:03 AM5/15/14
to sporcle-university

Remove the forved order.

uryue...@gmail.com

May 15, 2014, 4:09:15 AM5/15/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

On Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:35:03 AM UTC-4, Spacemaniac wrote:

Remove the forved order.

On May 15, 2014 10:33 AM, <uryue...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm still having a problem. I've published two games (http://www.sporcle.com/games/DingoDongo/twenty-india-cities and http://www.sporcle.com/games/DingoDongo/twenty_poland_cities), but I can't get them to behave properly. I want them to behave like this game: http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/frenchpopulouscities

Does anyone know how to make my two games behave like the '20 top French cities' game?

Thanks.

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:58:26 PM UTC-4, uryue...@gmail.com wrote:
All right, thanks a lot.

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:04:13 PM UTC-4, RobPro wrote:
You have all the answer locations showing as they are right from the start. To have the green checkmark show up when correct, you must have the 'Use hints and...' option ticked. But this means you cant have all the locations show up at the start. If you want the markers still on the city locations like you have, you could add them on manually to the picture, which is like what i've done here: http://www.sporcle.com/games/RobPro/c-metros-on-a-map

Hope this helps a bit.

uryue...@gmail.com

May 22, 2014, 8:04:21 PM5/22/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Another problem: I've changed a quiz from a classic quiz with an image to a map quiz with a different image. But the old image still shows up above the new map image: http://www.sporcle.com/games/DingoDongo/czech-cities

I can't find any settings in the editor to remove the old image. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mic747

May 23, 2014, 2:15:54 AM5/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Probably the link to the old image is still in the 'Embed Media' box on the options tab. Try deleting everything that's in that box.

uryue...@gmail.com

May 23, 2014, 3:04:10 AM5/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, there is no 'Embed Media' box on the options tab for me: http://i.imgur.com/BFnhWYD.png

Should there be one?

Mic747

May 23, 2014, 6:09:12 AM5/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I just did a little test and it seems like if you change a quiz into map style while something was in the embed box. The embed box will disappear, but the information inside the embed box will still be displayed.
There is a quite easy way to fix this: change your quiz style back into classic, click save changes. Then go to the options tab and delete everything that's in the embed box and save changes again. Then set your quiz back into map style and add the image URL in the designated box again. That should solve the problem.

uryue...@gmail.com

May 23, 2014, 7:09:46 PM5/23/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It works, so thank you very much!