Photobucket images are not loading properly

Aprilli

Jul 26, 2015, 6:39:23 AM7/26/15
to Sporcle University
Hi everyone!

Does anyone else have the same issue, that Photobucket images are not loading properly in slideshow quizzes? I'm using Chrome and Imgur's and Flickr's images are loading just fine and I have a fast internet connections, so it can't be about that either.

I have had this problem already like a month or so, and it is a bit frustrated because slideshows are my favorite format. I'm not sure if Sporcle can do anything with this matter, just wanted to know if anyone else have this same problem.

JoeBeta

Jul 26, 2015, 7:53:28 AM7/26/15
to Sporcle University, latv...@gmail.com
I never use photobucket, but I do remember reading a quiz comment by rockgolf recently about whether or not he'd be making more slideshow quizzes in a certain series - "But I'll have to space them out as these use up my Photobucket acct." Personally I always use imgur. I've never had a problem.

Aprilli

Jul 26, 2015, 8:32:22 AM7/26/15
to Sporcle University, jb...@aol.com
I'm also using Imgur to storage my photos. Some Sporclers are using Photobucket, and I have started not to play some of those quizzes, because it is taking such a long time for those images to load.

Ubbiebubbie

Jul 26, 2015, 10:54:35 AM7/26/15
to Sporcle University, latv...@gmail.com
I know I use Photobucket -- I just tried the linked quiz, and everything loaded fine for me. Is it working for you?

Aprilli

Jul 26, 2015, 1:04:51 PM7/26/15
to Sporcle University, ubbiebu...@gmail.com
@Ubbiebubbie: I tried your quiz and even counted how long it took for images to load. Depending on image, it took 0-12 seconds for those images to load. I feel that with Photobucket, sometimes it takes over 12 seconds for one image to load. If there is for example 30 slides in a quiz, and every image takes like 20 seconds to load, I don't necessary have the patience to play that quiz. I know that it isn't such a long time in my life, to wait 20 seconds, but those slides aren't moving fluently.

And I really don't know why. :/

Sheldon

Jul 26, 2015, 6:32:24 PM7/26/15
to Sporcle University, ubbiebu...@gmail.com, latv...@gmail.com
Because of the limit to how many images you can see in your account on imgur, I use imgur for picture box games and www.slickpic.com for slideshow quizzes.

You get 1,000 images on the free account and the interface is relatively simple. You can create folders as well which is handy when organising. The best feature though is that the URLs aren't random letters and numbers which means you can copy most of it and then quickly add in the name of the file. All the names of my files are numbers so you can't see the answer in the image source link which makes it even easier to create all of the links for each slide really quickly (especially if you're importing from Excel).

For the box office series that I'm doing at the moment, I have most of the URLs entered into the quizzes but don't have all the images yet. All I need to do is upload the images in the correct album and give it the corresponding number and it then works in the quiz.

MoMosMoProblems

Jul 26, 2015, 7:02:27 PM7/26/15
to Sporcle University, latv...@gmail.com
I used to have lots more trouble with the time it took to load images, but those problems have pretty much disappeared completely, and I don't know why.  Maybe my connection got faster.  I tried UbbieBubbie's quiz on Safari and Firefox, and a couple of the slides took a second or two to load in the latter, but otherwise no problem.

The talk about Imgur's limitations reminds me to ask: what happens to the pictures in your slideshows if the quiz gets published?  Does Sporcle move them and host them elsewhere, or are they still linked to your Imgur account?  Because I have a slideshow quiz where changes have been made so I guess it might be headed to publication, and if those pictures aren't needed any more, I might want to clear up that space in my Imgur account for new slideshows.

babymonkee

Jul 27, 2015, 5:44:55 AM7/27/15
to Sporcle University, latv...@gmail.com
Aprilli . Free Photobucket accounts have a data limit. Could you have exceeded your monthly limit? I think its 20Gbits, but that can soon be used up if you get a lot of plays. You can get a unlimited account. Its a couple of dollars a month.

Aprilli

Jul 27, 2015, 6:03:02 AM7/27/15
to Sporcle University, robn...@gmail.com
@babymonkee: I'm not using Photobucket myself. I'm meaning the quizzes I play, that other Sporclers has made, those images aren't loading properly.