Still active maintainers/users?

Michel

May 2, 2015, 6:18:15 PM5/2/15
to spi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all out there

Looking at the Github repository and this mailing list it doesn't look like the project is alive anymore.
The main repository has some interesting pull requests open since over a year now...

But maybe I am wrong and you guys are working hard on a new release behind the scenes? ;)...so I thought why not come around and ask.
If it's officially dead - what are the recommended alternatives you went with?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Jason Fleetwood-Boldt

May 4, 2015, 10:28:13 AM5/4/15
to spi...@googlegroups.com

I haven’t heard of anyone using Spine in several years.

Nathan Palmer

May 4, 2015, 5:07:27 PM5/4/15
to Spinejs
The list has been pretty inactive for a while. We switched from Spine to Ember a couple of years ago. It's a big jump but we haven't looked back. There are many alternatives. While I preferred Spine's object model over Backbone, they have Marionnette.js now. For me any of the frameworks that have built-in data binding are the most interesting since I'm always dealing with it: Ember, React or Angular.

Nathan

Aaron Eischeid

May 4, 2015, 8:32:28 PM5/4/15
to spi...@googlegroups.com
If you were looking at the Github repository then, as well as a few pull requests that have lingered, you should also see a slow but consistent stream of commits and releases. That would be because It is still maintained and used ;)

I myself am not actively working hard on any major new features at the moment, but there is some stuff on the roadmap. All that is needed is time to get to them and some motivation! I say motivation because in reality Spine fits our needs pretty well as is. In a way it could be considered a mature library - the core library it isn't changing quickly or drastically right now because it already works and doesn't need to. There is something nice working with a framework that is rather stable though in my opinion.

Backbone, Angular, and Ember are all fine choices, from a technical perspective each has pros and cons when compared to Spine, but they all certainly have larger and more active communities associated with them.

Cheers

Aaron Eischeid

May 4, 2015, 8:33:43 PM5/4/15
to spi...@googlegroups.com
Spine does have an experimental two way data binding module by the way.

Michel

May 26, 2015, 4:00:17 PM5/26/15
to spi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for replying!

@Nathan: I looked at (mainly) Angular and Ember before, but was fascinated by the simplicity of Spine.
It allowed me - an absolute non-JS guy - to get a fairly impressing result with nearly no learning efforts..so I sticked with it for the current project.
I didn't have those early-successes with Angular/Ember, through much more tutorials exist for these (but I did not find a single one talking about "complex" multi-page apps, while Spine.Stack makes this easy).
I'll see...

@Aaron: I saw that...but open pull requests from 2013 just look so scary! and fundamental stuff like the promises are still not available through a lot of issues from 2013-2015 have comments about them ("soon to be released"...etc.). :)
It is however nice to know that there's still a company? actively using it.

As said, I am pretty happy with Spine for the project I am working on (through it has some limitations like the missing promises, some "design" problems (e.g. if Ajax destroy() fails the record is still removed), but it's fine.
I'd really like to contribute, but I'm a bit helpless when trying to extend/improve the existing code base (would love to get some quick intro!!!)
..only sufficent enough for some small changes: http://pastebin.com/3vFqth7q
  - fixed some coffeelint errors
  - support for plurals ending in y -> ies
  - nested Spine.Stack support
(but everything a bit hacky).

Problems I was not able to solve yet:
  - overriding the model's save() method and simply calling super always resets the model
  - if destroy() fails, it is still removed
  - some refresh/change problems where data doesn't get refreshed
  - missing promises (worked around)

So Aaron - do you think you'd have some time somewhen for a quick IRC/Gitter/Skype chat? That'd be awesome!