FYI: Spam in Bitbucket

Robert Lehmann

Mar 7, 2015, 6:05:14 PM3/7/15
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

this account is currently vandalizing our Bitbucket issue tracker — I received about 20 such weird junk comments or nonsense approvals tonight (some of which they seem to have removed again.)

I have escalated the issue with Bitbucket staff on Twitter for lack of a better communication channel.  I guess there is no way to lock down our Bitbucket repository / issue tracker for further comments?  What about disabling it (since all history is preserved on Github?)

Cheers,
Robert

Mar 7, 2015, 11:54:03 PM3/7/15
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sun, Mar 8, 2015 at 8:05 AM Robert Lehmann <ma...@robertlehmann.de> wrote:
Hi all,

this account is currently vandalizing our Bitbucket issue tracker — I received about 20 such weird junk comments or nonsense approvals tonight (some of which they seem to have removed again.)

I removed some spam comments, as soon as I found (in few minutes).
However I couldn't prevent "nonsense approvals" for old commits.

I have escalated the issue with Bitbucket staff on Twitter for lack of a better communication channel.  I guess there is no way to lock down our Bitbucket repository / issue tracker for further comments?  What about disabling it (since all history is preserved on Github?)

Yes, all issues and comments are transported.
Some statuses (change of milestone, component, or non-comment change) are not transported, but it's a trivial information.

As Robert mentioned, we can't disable Bitbucket comment with keeping repository / issue tracker. However, if we disable repository and issue tracker entirely, users can't reach to Github repository because Sphinx-1.2 indicates Bitbucket URL and 1.2 is still latest stable version.

For now, vandalizing seems to have stopped.
Once if attack is resumed, let's closed after tonight(?) of the 1.3 release.

Cheers,
Robert

Regards,
--
Takayuki SHIMIZUKAWA

Robert Lehmann

Mar 10, 2015, 3:36:24 AM3/10/15
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
For the record:  Bitbucket has responded and disabled the account.

If I understand correctly we could disable (or ‘set private’ for posterity) the Bitbucket issue tracker completely (Settings › Issues.)

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Mar 14, 2015, 9:12:45 AM3/14/15
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 4:36 PM Robert Lehmann <rob...@robertlehmann.de> wrote:
For the record:  Bitbucket has responded and disabled the account.

Thanks!
But, unfortunately, spam comments come back.

If I understand correctly we could disable (or ‘set private’ for posterity) the Bitbucket issue tracker completely (Settings › Issues.)

Sphinx-1.3 has been released and we can disable old issue tracker.
For now, I've changed the permission as "private".

Robert Lehmann

Mar 14, 2015, 10:24:12 AM3/14/15
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Sigh.  I have sent another notice to the Bitbucket staff;  thanks for your help on the issue.