Sphinx ext. for other phases of documentation than code

Owen Hempel

Jan 26, 2016, 10:05:44 AM1/26/16
to sphinx-dev
Hi all,

Apologies if this is incorrectly submitted.

I'm currently working on my final year project and we are using sphinx for our user documentation. My question is, has anyone made extensions or is anyone in the process of making extensions to Sphinx that could be used to create other Design documents (For example, Requirements Specification, Preliminary Design Description, etc). I've tried googling around but haven't really found much.

My motivation would be to have a Requirements page in the main document tree that we can link back to from the autodoc-generated modules, possibly via the :ref: directive. This just seems like a cleaner way to do it than having separate documents to submit. (Our poor TA's have to read 60 pages and probably hate scrolling for hours, and I'm guessing many engineers in the field could identify).

Essentially, I'm looking to create an enhanced :ref: directive. My experience is in LaTeX, so i can picture what I want really clearly that way.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track? I'd like to avoid duplication of efforts.

I'd also like to thank the heavens for Sphinx, while i'm at it.

Robert Lehmann

Jan 26, 2016, 10:19:40 AM1/26/16
to owenh...@gmail.com, sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Owen,

Please note this is a mailing list for the development of sphinx;  there is a dedicated list for its users at sphinx-users.

On your request, I'm not sure how :ref: to an arbitrary location in your "Design document" (and other linking roles, such as :doc:) fall short of your requirement.  Also note that you can always build all documents into one large output file with the singlehtml or latex builders.

Cheers,
Robert

Owen Hempel

Jan 26, 2016, 11:32:17 AM1/26/16
to sphinx-dev, owenh...@gmail.com
Hi robert:

Yes, this was something I was thinking of developing, which is why i posted here. Perhaps I am thinking about this wrong. It might be a better idea to format within existing directives.

Thanks,
Owen

Bram Geron

Jan 26, 2016, 11:39:39 AM1/26/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com, owenh...@gmail.com
I'm still curious. Can you explain in LaTeX terms what you were thinking of? What kind of output would you like?

Cheers, Bram