Thoughts on moving sphinx-contrib to GitHub

Eric Holscher

Dec 2, 2015, 6:22:32 PM12/2/15
to sphinx-dev
Hey All,

I know Sphinx has moved development to GitHub a while ago, but it seems the sphinx-contrib repo is still on bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/birkenfeld/sphinx-contrib

Is there a reason that this wasn't moved over to GitHub in the migration?

Cheers,
Eric

Robert Lehmann

Dec 3, 2015, 6:13:44 AM12/3/15
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
I think rather than going through the efforts of yet another migration, we should abandon the sphinx-contrib repository.  The original migration announcement read:

The contrib repository will remain at the usual location, although some extension
developers have expressed a preferences for separate repositories.  Therefore in
the future the main hub for extensions will be something similar to the survey
with links going to separate repos and PyPI entries where applicable.

There are also new PyPI classifiers for sphinx related packages:

Framework :: Sphinx
Framework :: Sphinx :: Extension
Framework :: Sphinx :: Theme

Once most package authors use them, a PyPI query is the easiest way to list all
available packages.

I don't think there's any advantage of sphinx-contrib, other than some kind of official blessing.  We could have this by just maintaining a list of extensions (and also a handy search for the trove classifiers) in our docs.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Robert

Bram Geron

Dec 3, 2015, 8:27:08 AM12/3/15
to sphinx-dev
I see value in sphinxcontrib because it makes it easy for new extension authors to publish their extension. I have a few small extensions that I want to publish on GitHub+PyPI, but I don't know how complicated this is, what the recommended repository setup is, or what metadata or meta-files you need in which locations so currently the time investment is prohibitive for me.

I'm not saying that sphinxcontrib should necessarily stay, but I think it would be good for the Sphinx ecosystem to have either sphinxcontrib or a detailed tutorial on how to publish Sphinx extensions in the simplest way possible.

Cheers, Bram

Eric Holscher

Dec 3, 2015, 2:40:27 PM12/3/15
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. It would be useful to move the `make-ext.py` file into the main Sphinx source, and document the proper way to create an extension.

I'm +1 on killing sphinx-contrib, especially since it makes specific extensions hard to install via pip.

Should we keep the `sphinxcontrib.` namespace, or just move towards `sphinx-<package>` naming? I have already done this with one of our packages at https://github.com/rtfd/sphinx-autoapi -- but I'm not sure the best way to document it.

Cheers,
Eric

Eric Holscher
Maker of the internet residing in Portland, Oregon
http://ericholscher.com

Bram Geron

Dec 15, 2015, 2:05:24 PM12/15/15
to sphinx-dev, er...@ericholscher.com
I don't have a strong opinion on this, but the sphinx-<package> naming
sounds nice to me.

Cheers, Bram