sphinx-doc.org on the Read The Docs with multi-versions/languages

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Jan 6, 2016, 9:49:24 AM1/6/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've tried to provide Sphinx official documentation with multiple versions and multiple languages on Read The Docs site and finally I find a reasonable way to achieve it.

http://shimizukawa-sphinx.readthedocs.org/
This is a site in experimental.

This is a Sphinx documentation to build each languages that have conf.py files and po files for each languages. It also have branches for each versions.

Current procedure is bit tricky because Read The Docs doesn't have a way to specify options for sphinx-build command.
conf.py files for each languages have 'language' and 'locale_dirs' values without having full copy of conf.py of sphinx doc. If we want to specify conf.py file that is out of source directory, we will use '-c' option for sphinx-build command. Unfortunately Read the Docs can't. If there are any better way, please let me know.

Be that as it may, it looks fine.
I think sphinx-doc.org move on Read the docs is good choice.
How do you think?

Best regards,
--
Takayuki SHIMIZUKAWA

Eric Holscher

Jan 7, 2016, 12:22:11 PM1/7/16
to sphinx-dev
We're happy to help make this happen any way we can. We'd love to host the official docs :)

We do support localization, by passing the "language" for each version of the docs. It's currently a bit hacky -- http://docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/localization.html#project-with-multiple-translations

It basically requires setting up a project for each language, and then adding them as "translations" to the master version. Then it will be served properly under the language code on the top-level project.

Again, I'm happy to help make this a reasonable process and if there are changes we need to add to RTD, that can definitely happen.

Cheers,
Eric

gilberto dos santos alves

Jan 7, 2016, 9:31:35 PM1/7/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Great! pt_BR is working too. [1]. we continue translating docs. thanks more this big step. happy new year!, now "feliz ano novo!" locale pt_BR.

[1] http://shimizukawa-sphinx.readthedocs.org/pt_BR/1.3.3/index.html

gilberto dos santos alves
+55(11)9-8646-5049
sao paulo - sp - brasil

Georg Brandl

Jan 8, 2016, 2:46:52 AM1/8/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
On 01/06/2016 03:49 PM, Takayuki Shimizukawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to provide Sphinx official documentation with multiple versions and
> multiple languages on Read The Docs site and finally I find a reasonable way to
> achieve it.
>
> http://shimizukawa-sphinx.readthedocs.org/
> This is a site in experimental.
>
> https://github.com/shimizukawa/shimizukawa-sphinx-docs
> This is a Sphinx documentation to build each languages that have conf.py files
> and po files for each languages. It also have branches for each versions.
>
> Current procedure is bit tricky because Read The Docs doesn't have a way to
> specify options for sphinx-build command.
> conf.py files for each languages have 'language' and 'locale_dirs' values
> without having full copy of conf.py of sphinx doc. If we want to specify conf.py
> file that is out of source directory, we will use '-c' option for sphinx-build
> command. Unfortunately Read the Docs can't. If there are any better way, please
> let me know.
>
> Be that as it may, it looks fine.
> I think sphinx-doc.org <http://sphinx-doc.org> move on Read the docs is good
> choice.
> How do you think?

I'm happy with it. Let me know when I should point the domain somewhere else.

cheers,
Georg

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Jan 8, 2016, 9:16:49 PM1/8/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Thanks for you comments. Now I've prepared all settings on RTD.

Georg, please update DNS record as:

Eric, IMHO, if RTD accepts command line options for sphinx-build, it makes easier to setup RTD project for each languages.
A similar issue is already filed and closed: https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/issues/1573
Anyhow, thanks for your great works on RTD!

Regards,
--
Takayuki SHIMIZUKAWA

Georg Brandl

Jan 9, 2016, 3:29:48 AM1/9/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com

Dmitry Shachnev

Jan 9, 2016, 5:28:57 AM1/9/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 09:29:40 +0100, Georg Brandl wrote:
> I've added a CNAME for any subdomain for now. I can't add a CNAME for the root
> domain, so http://sphinx-doc.org/ will redirect to http://www.sphinx-doc.org/
> first. Of course, the change will need a bit of time to propagate.

The switch to readthedocs has broken some links.

For example, http://sphinx-doc.org/config.html (linked from alabaster README)
is now 404.

--
Dmitry Shachnev
signature.asc

Georg Brandl

Jan 9, 2016, 5:44:19 AM1/9/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com

Dmitry Shachnev

Jan 9, 2016, 5:58:15 AM1/9/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Georg,

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 11:44:18AM +0100, Georg Brandl wrote:
> Indeed, sorry. I have now added a RTD redirect to address that, please check.

Works fine now, thanks!

--
Dmitry Shachnev
signature.asc

Takayuki Shimizukawa

Jan 13, 2016, 6:52:22 PM1/13/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/1.3.4/ is deployed and it looks fine.
And other languages are deployed as /<lang>/1.3/  path and looks also fine.

BTW, updating procedure for other languages is still troublesome..
I'm going to find a way for automation.

Anyway, thanks for your cooperation!

--
Takayuki SHIMIZUKAWA

Eric Holscher

Jan 13, 2016, 6:53:42 PM1/13/16
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Our API is currently in a pretty sad state, but making this easier is definitely something we're going to work on soon! I can help and try to build a script that supports it, and I can build against the RTD backend to support it sanely, while doing it :)

Eric Holscher
Maker of the internet residing in Portland, Oregon
http://ericholscher.com