What has changed regarding pending_xref() and refdomain?

Matthias Geier

May 2, 2017, 3:30:57 PM5/2/17
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Dear list.

Until now, I'm using something like this in my Sphinx extension
(http://nbsphinx.readthedocs.io/):

sphinx.addnodes.pending_xref(reftype='doc', refdomain=None, ...)

Using the master branch, I recently started to get warning messages of
this kind:

WARNING: 'doc' reference target not found: ...

... and my pending references were not turned into actual references
in the output.

Now I found an easy work-around by just using refdomain='std' instead
of refdomain=None.
This works fine, but I'm wondering if this is backwards compatible and
if it is actually the right thing to do.

Is it?

cheers,
Matthias

Komiya Takeshi

May 2, 2017, 10:31:31 PM5/2/17
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias,

Now the implementation of :doc: role is moved into std domain. So it
generates and resolves the pending_xref node under std domain. It
works fine by sphinx itself. but, as you said, it does not work fine
if 3rd party extensions generate it with refdomain=None. it's my
wrong.
I agree this is breaking compatibility. Could you file this as an
issue? then I'll fix it before final release.

Thanks,
Takeshi KOMIYA

Matthias Geier

May 3, 2017, 4:44:03 AM5/3/17