Sphinx web editor

Guillem Barba Domingo

Oct 10, 2014, 3:46:26 AM10/10/14
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I started a Proof of Concept of a Sphinx web editor, but I miss the first step... ask if there is something similar.
I searched it and I didn't found anything that fits to my requirements.

I found rstEd [1] which I used as base for my solution but I need an editor based on generated documentation, not on source documents, because my goal is provide an useful editor for our inheritance module [2]. As the final page/section could be generated from few (or lot of) source documents, edit it is painful.

My goal (which is already partially achieved) is to be able to browse the generated documentation (in HTML, in "editor mode") and when click over a paragraph/section/title... (it will be the ideal UX, an alternative is an "edit" button in the corner of "inheritance section") it "open" the source document in a RST editor like MarkItUp [3] (what is used by rsted).
When you save, it regenerates the documentation ("make html") and reload the view.

I also want to make it multiproject, with an interface and features similar to Prose.io [4]

If someone knows any project, library or anything that could help me, I will thank you very much.
I hope I will publish an alpha version soon

gilberto dos santos alves

Oct 10, 2014, 9:37:57 AM10/10/14
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi here [1] you find notex.ch a very powerfull editor including rest files.
best regards.

[1] https://www.notex.ch/

gilberto dos santos alves
+55.11.98646-5049
sao paulo - sp - brasil

Michael Gielda

Dec 29, 2014, 5:47:37 PM12/29/14
to sphin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guillem,

I have been thinking of the exact same thing myself. Unfortunately, I have researched all the things you linked to and more and don't think a good 'base' exists. I have started a prototype of my own somewhere one year ago but since then settled for a Sublime Text + autorefresh in browser workflow. I do believe a web editor would be awesome, but it does need to be well made. Most such attempts spread over the web are just simplistic to the point of unusefulness.

"Generic" or "online" rst editors also don't help - we need something where you can edit Sphinx, and do it locally. Otherwise the use cases are very limited and the workflow - unnecessarily complex.

I would imagine a little button in allowing you to edit each section, where the source for the section would then be shown and upon clicking save the docs would be regenerated. This should in fact not be extremely complex, I could imagine this done in node.js for example, but of course all sorts of pitfalls may be encountered.

Out of curiosity, where are you developing this? Could one perhaps contribute?

Best regards,
Michael

Guillem Barba Domingo

Dec 30, 2014, 10:59:06 AM12/30/14
[...]

I choose flask to do it because I'm more familiar with it than node.js.

Out of curiosity, where are you developing this? Could one perhaps contribute?

Hi Michael,
I've just published the current code here:

As I put in the README, it is pretty dependant to "tryton documentation projects" (sphinx projects using "trydoc" and "sphinxcontrib.inheritance" extensions).
But it doesn't work neither in these cases, because the current version of "inheritance extension" doesn't add the expected "inheritance_node":

The "main logic" resides in this line:

It adds a menu to be able to edit the section for each "inheritance".
It should be added for the main page in sphinx-webeditor and the inheritance extension should add the required class to inheritance sections.

I will try to do it the following days to allow you to see it working for a general sphinx project.

If you explore the flask application code you will see it uses a RESTful aproximation. It is because I wanted to try these flask extension... but I don't know if it's the best aproximation.

Best regards!
guillemBarba