Telnet into 5260?

Florian Mueller

Nov 30, 2000, 5:28:40 PM11/30/00

How can I telnet into my SpeedStream 5260 DSL modem? I was told a
telnet to 10.0.0.1 should work. I tried that, and the IP I telnetted
from was 10.0.0.5, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. It did not work. Any
ideas? just curious...

Thanks,
Florian

Bruno Wolff III

Nov 30, 2000, 5:46:14 PM11/30/00

10.0.0.1 is the default address for the modem. I can telnet to mine.

Florian Mueller

Nov 30, 2000, 6:09:38 PM11/30/00

Yeah, that's what everybody says... Just for some reason, it doesn't
work with mine. I'm not getting a response telnetting to 10.0.0.1.

Also, my 5260 did not come with a manual, either... Is there some place
where I can download some info on the web? I tried Efficient's site,
but could not find anything interesting there..

Thanks again,
Florian

Thom Covert

Nov 30, 2000, 6:56:24 PM11/30/00
DO NOT TELNET INTO YOUR 5260 BRIDGE! There was a fellow on here a while
back who did and changed some setting that COULD NOT be reversed. He had to
buy another bridge.

"Florian Mueller" <fmue...@sendfile.net> wrote in message

Todd Richert

Nov 30, 2000, 8:22:45 PM11/30/00
Alot of dsl companies use 192.168.1.1 try that subnet

"Florian Mueller" <fmue...@sendfile.net> wrote in message

Todd Richert

Nov 30, 2000, 8:23:26 PM11/30/00
There is no such setting, you can reset the entire bridge to factory
defaults, you can even reload the firmware if you so desire.

"Thom Covert" <th...@speakeasy.org> wrote in message

Alan Ranch

Nov 30, 2000, 10:34:16 PM11/30/00

"Todd Richert" <to...@avalys.com> wrote in message

> There is no such setting, you can reset the entire bridge
to factory

What the guy did was enable bridge filtering and then
filtered himself out of the bridge... he from that point
could not regain access to the bridge and no one at that
time could help him regain access to his bridge... and he
did have to buy a new (used off of ebay) bridge.

Alan

Robert Dickel

Dec 1, 2000, 9:55:54 AM12/1/00
Alan Ranch <ranch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Todd Richert" <to...@avalys.com> wrote in message
>> There is no such setting, you can reset the entire bridge
> to factory

> What the guy did was enable bridge filtering and then
> filtered himself out of the bridge... he from that point
> could not regain access to the bridge and no one at that
> time could help him regain access to his bridge... and he
> did have to buy a new (used off of ebay) bridge.

> Alan

> I was told a
> IP I telnetted
> not work. Any

You got to use subnet mask 255.0.0.0, then you can telnet in, but be
careful; i haven't found anything useful to change (though the stats
are useful!) and you can do SNMP to see how much traffic you are using
etc.

Bob Dickel, | Email: b...@mml.dhs.org

Bruno Wolff III

Dec 1, 2000, 11:05:44 AM12/1/00
On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:55:54 GMT, Robert Dickel <b...@mml.dhs.org> wrote:
>Alan Ranch <ranch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>You got to use subnet mask 255.0.0.0, then you can telnet in, but be
>careful; i haven't found anything useful to change (though the stats
>are useful!) and you can do SNMP to see how much traffic you are using
>etc.

I don't think the subnet setting on his computer was the problem. He was
connecting from 10.0.0.5 and no broadcast traffic was involved, so
using a netmask of 255.255.255.0 should work.

nyorker

Dec 1, 2000, 2:07:33 PM12/1/00
why do u want to telent to your modem?

"Florian Mueller" <fmue...@sendfile.net> wrote in message

Bruno Wolff III

Dec 1, 2000, 11:13:44 AM12/1/00
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:07:33 -0800, nyorker <nyo...@speakeasy.org> wrote:
>why do u want to telent to your modem?

The most interesting thing is checking the status of the DSL connection
(in particular errors).

Florian Mueller

Dec 1, 2000, 7:26:54 PM12/1/00
Todd Richert wrote:

> Alot of dsl companies use 192.168.1.1 try that subnet

Thank you for your reply. I just tried that address, and it does not
work either. Trying to telnet to 192.168.1.1 will simply time out, and
will say "host not responding". I wonder what address they could have
set it to, and how to find out.

---

Florian Mueller

Dec 1, 2000, 7:32:40 PM12/1/00
Robert Dickel schrieb:
> Bob Dickel, | Email: b...@mml.dhs.org

Thanks, Bob! I did try that submask but it doesn't work either. My
connection works great and I do not want to change anything in there. I
am just curious and would like to see what's in there and look at the
stats, that's all.

Florian

Sandoz

Dec 2, 2000, 6:35:26 AM12/2/00
I think you change your own IP to 10.0.0.2 and then telnet to 10.0.0.1, but
I'm not totally sure about the exact addresses. I believe the instructions
may be in the SE FAQ.

-lw

"Florian Mueller" <fmue...@sendfile.net> wrote in message

Nutso

Dec 2, 2000, 9:55:36 AM12/2/00

"Sandoz" <san...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

> I think you change your own IP to 10.0.0.2 and then telnet to 10.0.0.1,
but
> I'm not totally sure about the exact addresses. I believe the
instructions
> may be in the SE FAQ.
>
> -lw
Thats how i did it.

Florian Mueller

Dec 2, 2000, 2:50:02 PM12/2/00
Nutso wrote:

> "Sandoz" <san...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> > I think you change your own IP to 10.0.0.2 and then telnet to 10.0.0.1,
> but
> > I'm not totally sure about the exact addresses. I believe the
> instructions
> > may be in the SE FAQ.
> >
> > -lw
> Thats how i did it.

Thanks, guys. I tried that, and it didn't work for me. So I guess that
means either I am dong something profoundly wrong, or somebody changed
the IP of my modem to who-knows-what...

By the way, I did read the posts about somebody changing some settings
in his modem and locking himself out and having to buy a new 5260. My
connection works great the way it is and I do not intend to change
anyhing. I am just curious about what's in there, and would like to
look a the stats...that's all..

Thanks,
Florian

---

Dark Mage

Dec 2, 2000, 7:41:52 PM12/2/00
> are useful!) and you can do SNMP to see how much traffic you are using

Anyone set up MRTG to graph this? I'd pop a 2nd nic in my server just to do
that...

Jason L. Snowden, CNE-5
darkmage at speakeasy dot org

{Tim Hurley} - Speakeasy Support

Dec 4, 2000, 1:33:03 PM12/4/00
Telnetting into the router voids the Speakeasy support warranty for that
router. If your line looses functionality because of anything you do,
Speakeasy would have to charge you for the truck roll and for the new
router/bridge.

-Tim

Jeremy Day

Dec 4, 2000, 7:21:08 PM12/4/00

"Florian Mueller" <fmue...@sendfile.net> wrote in message

Telnet into it from 10.0.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 should work.

Duncan

Dec 7, 2000, 6:42:24 AM12/7/00
"Jeremy Day" <red...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message news:ixWW5.34274$%j3.3...@news6.giganews.com...

> [...]
[snip]

> Telnet into it from 10.0.0.2, subnet 255.255.255.0 should work.

I was just reading the most official thing yet I have seen from ENI on this... in comp.dcom.xdsl...

Someone e-mailed ENI support and got the response that they now disable telnet by default, because it was causing to many problems. I don't know when this started (or if indeed it is accurate at all), but mine, which I got in July, takes telnet just fine, while I have seen at least two instances reported of NOT being able to access it on 10.0.0.1 on new modems (1-2 month old, max, I would guess), no matter the subnet or originating IP. Thus, although I suppose it could just be ENI doing more off its "no user interface" when there was, or the poster just trolling, it DOES seem to be semi-official now, that they are disabling it now by default.

To bad, in a way, for us that know enough to stay away from the SET commands, but want to be able to access the stats and line conditions figures, but I can see why they would do it, considering the average user can't even learn not to run EXE files without AT LEAST running them through a virus scanner. Under those conditions, I can't blame them for wanting to "user-proof" the things.

Of course, I am the type that sees that "no user serviceable parts inside" label, and knows that is a virtual guarantee that THIS user can successfully perform at least limited service such as replacing a cord or a transformer, so I am ALWAYS sceptical about such claims. <shaking head> I have trouble immagining the existance of someone who actually BELIEVES such labels. The unnecessary $$ they must spend... But those labels are for the idiots that will test the voltage by putting the ends of the live 120VAC wire on their tongue--"But it works with a 9V battery!!"--and yes, there ARE such idiots--though I expect if evolution theory has ANY truth to it, they should be weeded out in a few generations--unless the ADA keeps them around. To bad products have to be marketed at that level, but oh, well...

Duncan -- If posted to a newsgroup, please keep topical replies there.
They get my priority replies. -- Give your computer some brain candy!
Help with a distributed computing project! -- http://www.distributed.net
---------------------------------------------------------------------------n

Dec 7, 2000, 8:03:28 AM12/7/00

"Duncan" <dun...@speakeasy.pleasereplytogroup.org> writes:
> To bad, in a way, for us that know enough to stay away from the SET =
> commands, but want to be able to access the stats and line conditions =
> figures, but I can see why they would do it, considering the average =
> user can't even learn not to run EXE files without AT LEAST running them =
> through a virus scanner. Under those conditions, I can't blame them for =

> wanting to "user-proof" the things.

Surely, it still supports SNMP?
So grab an SNMP monitor and go to town.

Duncan

Dec 7, 2000, 8:32:20 AM12/7/00
"Default" <de...@o-o.yi.org> wrote in message news:m3aea8i...@oo.yi.org...

I don't think it supports anything, now. I believe it is totally invisible at the IP level, as a bridge is by definition (although this one had the 10.0.0.1 exception for telnet management).

'Course, SNMP is something I haven't gotten into yet--besides the mentions I have seen in the groups, so I could be very wrong--it has happened b4!

Paul English

Dec 7, 2000, 1:26:07 PM12/7/00
Default <de...@o-o.yi.org> wrote:

: Surely, it still supports SNMP?

: So grab an SNMP monitor and go to town.

It's not that easy.. you need a MIB, no? Where to get one?

Also where are the docs on the commands? The online documentation is
useful and all.. but a little more wouldn't hurt.

I also saw something about a serial port somewhere. It wouldn't be
entirely surprising if there was a serial header in the box somewhere.

It wouldn't be entirely surprising if the 5260 was simply a relabelled
5660, or other DSL router. And if that in turn was primarily based on
some other router product, perhaps with a newly shrunken and _maybe_
reduced-feature-set PCB, glued into a pretty package.

Perhaps this user is making too many leaps. I wonder if the guy who
locked himself out by enabling filtering has cracked open the disabled
one to take a look.

Paul

Dec 7, 2000, 5:05:00 PM12/7/00
Paul English <tall...@palantir.speakeasy.org> writes:
> It's not that easy.. you need a MIB, no? Where to get one?

At a guess:
SNMP support:MIB II (RFC 1213) for
IP, AToM MIB (RFC 1695) for ATM,
ADSL Forum MIB (TR-006) for ADSL

Florian Mueller

Dec 8, 2000, 7:19:29 PM12/8/00
Duncan schrieb:

Hi Duncan,

thank you for your post. My 5260 must be one with telnet access
disabled, which would explain why I cannot get it. It's not that
important, I was just curious about the stats. Your post explains why
other people can get in and I can't.

Thanks,
Florian

Dec 9, 2000, 10:18:46 PM12/9/00

Florian Mueller <fmue...@sendfile.net> writes:
> thank you for your post. My 5260 must be one with telnet access
> disabled, which would explain why I cannot get it. It's not that
> important, I was just curious about the stats. Your post explains why
> other people can get in and I can't.

It turns out that some of the 5260s are actually crippled 5660s.
These are the ones which support telnet and SNMP, and this is
surely the reason that Efficient officially refuses to acknowledge
that you can telnet into the 5260.

The 5260s now shipping are not the crippled 5660s anymore.

My 5260 actually says 5660 in the part number.
Florian's probably says 5260.