Concerning spdy proxy in google chrome

Ralf Yu

Jun 8, 2014, 11:25:25 PM6/8/14
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I've been playing with spdy-to-http proxy for a while using Apache and mod_spdy. I set up a forward proxy server, so that my chromium browser client could talk spdy and hopefully enjoy a speed-up. For now things aren't going so well and the improvement in page loading time, if any, is very little. I even tried removing the ssl encryption layer, but it didn't help much either. I know there is much to do in tuning the proxy server, but given the scarcity of my knowledge on Apache, I'd like to look for some help.

I learned here(https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/data-compression#spdy) that google chrome mobile is adopting spdy proxy for speed. So if possible, could someone illuminate me the general setup that google's using? Is it Apache too(which I guess is unlikely) or some architecture that is not open source? I'm wondering if Apache is not a good choice. Please ignore me if the information is to any extent confidential. I don't mean to peek or anything. Thanks for your patience.

ralf

Matt Welsh

Jun 8, 2014, 11:31:41 PM6/8/14
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
The Chrome Mobile data compression proxy is Google's proprietary implementation of SPDY on the server, not Apache+mod_spdy. There are many, many factors that impact performance including the content of the page, the distance from the user to the proxy datacenter, and the distance between the datacenter and the origin site. The proxy is able to leverage optimizations that aggregate across many users such as caching, TCP preconnect, and HTTP content prefetching which would not necessarily benefit a single user.
--

---

Ralf Yu

Jun 9, 2014, 2:27:55 AM6/9/14
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that the feature is named "data compression proxy", so has it been offering observable speed improvement yet? Can I find any statistic data relevant publicly?

Matt Welsh

Jun 9, 2014, 11:29:03 AM6/9/14
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
The speed varies depending on the user's location; some users see benefit, others don't. The main feature that everyone enjoys is compression :-)

We don't have data to share yet but I was planning on writing a blog post about the numbers we have collected so far.

Ralf Yu

Jun 9, 2014, 10:26:58 PM6/9/14
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to your post, and thanks again for your help.