Statistics on OpenHUB

Micha Silver

Feb 12, 2015, 3:13:10 PM2/12/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
The OSGeo Live DVD is showing, in their documentation page, statistics from OpenHUB (ex-Ohloh) for the open source software installed on the DVD [1]. The project summary page for Spatialite looks pretty lame. [2] (i.e. no commits since 2012... and other mis-information)
I think it would be worthwhile to reset the relevant links in OpenHUB to the latest version of Spatialite so that the stats get updated. I am willing to help, but I think it should be preferably done by a developer.

Regards,
Micha

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2015-February/009992.html
[2] https://www.openhub.net/p/spatialite
--
Micha Silver
cell: 0523-665918

a.fu...@lqt.it

Feb 13, 2015, 12:28:48 PM2/13/15
On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:13:05 +0200, Micha Silver wrote:
> The OSGeo Live DVD is showing, in their documentation page,
> statistics from OpenHUB (ex-Ohloh) for the open source software
> installed on the DVD [1]. The project summary page for Spatialite
> looks pretty lame. [2] (i.e. no commits since 2012... and other
> mis-information)
> I think it would be worthwhile to reset the relevant links in
> OpenHUB
> to the latest version of Spatialite so that the stats get updated. I
> am willing to help, but I think it should be preferably done by a
> developer.

Hi Micha,

accordingly to OpenHUB FAQ [1] any monitored codebase is expected
to be hosted in some SCM (source control management system); and
currently just Subversion, Git, CVS, Mercurial, and Bazaar are
supported by OpenHUB.

since year 2011 SpatiaLite switched its main repository from SVN
to Fossil [2]; unhappily Fossil is completely ignored by OpenHUB,
and this fully explains why Spatialite seems to be apparently
frozen since 2012.

accordingly to their FAQ this is the suggested workaround for
any project not being hosted on a supported SCM:

"you could simply push your code into a repository, then upload
it to Open Hub. This can be done fairly easily. You could use
a free online forge service, or perhaps the easiest workaround
is to import the project into a local Git repository and then
open access to it so that Open Hub can upload it. You can find
Git here"

I suppose they are joking :-D

if someone is eventually aware of any other most serious and
most practical option I'll be happy to learn about it.

bye Sandro

[1] http://blog.openhub.net/faq-2/
[2] http://fossil-scm.org/index.html/doc/trunk/www/index.wiki

Alex Mandel

Feb 13, 2015, 12:53:24 PM2/13/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, they are are serious. I think they are implying that you should
make a post-commit hook in Fossil that auto pushes a read-only copy to
Git or another supported vcs. You could host the git repo over http, or
just push it to a free service Gitlab (Gitlab is open source) or Github
would work.

Here's a script someone made to do such a thing
http://blog.fraggod.net/2011/05/02/fossil-to-git-export-and-mirroring.html

-Alex

a.fu...@lqt.it

Feb 13, 2015, 2:06:35 PM2/13/15
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:53:09 -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 02/13/2015 09:28 AM, a.fu...@lqt.it wrote:
>> I suppose they are joking :-D
>>
> Sadly, they are are serious.

Hi Alex,

they are definitely joking, and here is the undeniable proof:

https://www.openhub.net/p/spatialite/estimated_cost

I almost died laughing when reading that developing SpatiaLite
required an estimated investment of 4,470,028 US dollars and
81 person-years ........ ROTFL :-D

-----

anyway thanks a lot for the suggested link; it looks like
a realistically viable workaround.

bye Sandro

Alex Mandel

Feb 13, 2015, 2:09:32 PM2/13/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Well, discussion of their statistical methods is a whole different
story. Quantifying the value of an open source project is not easy.
Their calculation obviously has flaws, but it a great relative
comparison of effort that went into different projects.

The other metrics about activity and contributors are much better since
those aren't calculated.

Or you could just read it as you are immensely valuable.

-Alex

Micha Silver

Feb 13, 2015, 4:10:57 PM2/13/15

On 02/13/2015 09:06 PM, a.fu...@lqt.it wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 09:53:09 -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
On 02/13/2015 09:28 AM, a.fu...@lqt.it wrote:
I suppose they are joking :-D

Sadly, they are are serious.

Hi Alex,

they are definitely joking, and here is the undeniable proof:

https://www.openhub.net/p/spatialite/estimated_cost

I almost died laughing when reading that developing SpatiaLite
required an estimated investment of 4,470,028 US dollars and
81 person-years ........ ROTFL :-D

Don't underestimate how important your work is.