get coordinate at given distance and angle

andrea antonello

Sep 23, 2016, 4:39:09 AM9/23/16
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I was wondering if there is a function to get a destination coordinate
given a start coordinate and a geodesic distance with angle?

The workaround is an iteration based on the distance and project
functions, but I am quite sure I am just missing the right function?

Any hint?
Thanks,
Andrea

a.fu...@lqt.it

Sep 23, 2016, 4:45:02 AM9/23/16
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Andrea,

RTFM, please ;-)

ST_Project( start_point Geometry, distance Double precision, azimuth
Double precision ) : Geometry

---------
return a new Point projected from a start point using a bearing and
distance.
start_point is expected to be simple long/lat Point.
distance is expected to be measured in meters; azimuth (aka bearing or
heading)
has the same identical meaning as in ST_Azimuth().
NULL is returned on failure or on invalid arguments.
---------
(requires RTTOPO support)

bye Sandro

andrea antonello

Sep 23, 2016, 4:52:55 AM9/23/16
On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 10:44 AM, <a.fu...@lqt.it> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 10:38:47 +0200, andrea antonello wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> I was wondering if there is a function to get a destination coordinate
>> given a start coordinate and a geodesic distance with angle?
>>
>> The workaround is an iteration based on the distance and project
>> functions, but I am quite sure I am just missing the right function?
>>

> Andrea,
>
> RTFM, please ;-)

OMG! I will now do huge penitence on my knees for the next two hours!
I thought I had read it, but am not sure why the word "meters" didn't
enter my brain... :-(
Thanks for the patience :-)

> ST_Project( start_point Geometry, distance Double precision, azimuth Double
> precision ) : Geometry
>
> ---------
> return a new Point projected from a start point using a bearing and
> distance.
> start_point is expected to be simple long/lat Point.
> distance is expected to be measured in meters; azimuth (aka bearing or
> heading)
> has the same identical meaning as in ST_Azimuth().
> NULL is returned on failure or on invalid arguments.
> ---------
> (requires RTTOPO support)

Aaaarrrrgghhhh, the current version of geopap doesn't support it.
Well, at least I know where it is though.

Thanks, ciao,
Andrea