RecoverGeometryColumn function for geopackages

David Anderson

Feb 13, 2015, 4:40:16 PM2/13/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
I am just starting to look at geopackages.  As I browse through the geopackage functions I don't see one equivalent to the RecoverGeometryColumn that is used for the Spatialite geometry type.  Is there a function to populate the gpkg_geometry_columns table and build the triggers?  How do you create tables with geometry from SQL that can be used in other SQL?

a.fu...@lqt.it

Feb 13, 2015, 5:09:02 PM2/13/15
On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:40:15 -0800 (PST), David Anderson wrote:
> I am just starting to look at geopackages. As I browse through the
> geopackage functions I don't see one equivalent to the
> RecoverGeometryColumn that is used for the Spatialite geometry type.

Hi David,

GeoPackage isn't intended to be a full-fledged Spatial DBMS; it mainly
is a standard exchange format.
The list of SQL functions defined by the GKPG standard specification
is limited to what is strictly necessary and is fully documented
here:
https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/wiki?name=4.2.0+functions#8

Switching from SpatiaLite "classic" to GPKS definitely isn't a good
idea if your specific interest is the one to deploy a powerful and
efficient tool fully supporting Spatial Processing and Spatial Analysis
based on SQL.

The GPKG support directly available on SpatiaLite is to be intended
mainly under an "import/export" logic:
- import all interesting data from an external GPKG into a "genuine"
SpatiaLite DB
- perform any data processing activity in SpatiaLite taking full
profit from its richer and most complete Spatial SQL environment
- finally export yet again the reprocessed data into an external
GPKG if required.

> Is there a function to populate the gpkg_geometry_columns table and
> build the triggers? How do you create tables with geometry from SQL
> that can be used in other SQL?

gpkgCreateBaseTables(), gpkgAddGeometryColumn(),
gpkgAddGeometryTriggers(),
gpkgAddSpatialIndex()

bye Sandro

David Anderson

Feb 17, 2015, 5:13:29 PM2/17/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Sandro,
Thanks for the reply and clarification.  I'll just keep on using Spatialite like I have been.
I should have read the documentation a little closer, as I do remember seeing the other functions listed.