Desktop app to create forms and reports using Spatialite.

Chuck Young

Jun 19, 2015, 1:28:17 PM6/19/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hello:  I am hoping to find an Open Source application that I can use to create a stand alone desktop application that I can use to manage a set of maps and view them along with associated information in a Form and then after working with the data if need be I can view / print the data along with the associated map in a Report.

I have used Spatialite as the DB for web apps and local apps that run under IIS or Apache, but I need something that can be simply deployed to users who do not have IIS or Apache available.

Also I need it to run easily on Windows for some users.

I have looked at several that say they will do that but ech has its glitches / problems.

I am currently trying "OpenOffice Base", but find almost nothing on the Base programming language that should allow me to code the necessary actions to make the forms work.

I tride "Glom" but it crashes so often that I can't get to the point of making a form. And it seems that the development has been discontinued since 2011.

Any suggestions or help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Charles

Goyo

Jun 22, 2015, 5:49:12 AM6/22/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hello Charles,

I have been able to use libreoffice forms with spatialite databases without writing a single line of code. One thing about libreoffice forms is that they work quite well with properly normalized databases but they are almost unusable otherwise.

OTOH maybe you do not need a full fledged Apache or IIS to locally run your sqlite/spatialite based web apps. I have been using python SimpleHTTPServer for that, which is probably not a sensible option for a production environment but I guess there must be other options out there for an easy to deploy web server that can be launched on demand to run your apps.

Regards

Goyo

Chuck Young

Jun 23, 2015, 1:10:28 AM6/23/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info.   The SimpleHTTPServer is something I hadn't heard about before.
I will look for it and do some checking to se if that ia what I need to use.  The application I need to run is a very simple web app. and that sounds like it would be easily installed on a users PC.

Thanks again!

Charles

a.fu...@lqt.it

Jun 23, 2015, 1:35:20 AM6/23/15
On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:10:27 -0700, Chuck Young wrote:
> Thanks for the info.   The SimpleHTTPServer is something I hadn't
> heard about before.
> I will look for it and do some checking to se if that ia what I need
> to use.  The application I need to run is a very simple web app. and
> that sounds like it would be easily installed on a users PC.

Hi Chuck,

if you are looking for some simple and light-weight HTTP server
alternative to Apache the followings are two possible candidates:

NGIX
http://nginx.org/en/

Mongoose
http://cesanta.com/products.shtml

bye Sandro

Chuck Young

Jun 23, 2015, 2:20:24 AM6/23/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sandro!

The cesanta looks like a good match for me.  I will test that one and see if it will fill the bill.

I knew you hard working database people in the user group would come through with some really good options.

I have worked in web and database programming for a number of years until 2008 but have only toyed with it since.  (retired), but now have a small project and it is nice to get back to it.  But as you know, a few weeks out of the loop and one gets way behind!

Thanks again!

Charles