rasterlite rl2sniff binary for windows

Tilman Brock-Hesse

Feb 8, 2018, 11:43:26 AM2/8/18
to SpatiaLite Users
Hello,

has someone managed to build a rasterlite rl2sniff binary on windows amd64?

I have a cygwin/osgeo installation and am finding myself in "library hell". Cannot get installable packages for some libraries under cygwin64. Also, cygwin "configure" runs so slow it really is a pain in the posterior.

So - did someone sucessfully compile for windows amd64 with cygwin or, idealy, could the rasterlite2-team publish a rl2sniff binary at http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/rasterlite2-win-amd64/ ?

Many thanks,
Tilman

a.fu...@lqt.it

Feb 8, 2018, 12:17:09 PM2/8/18
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 08:43:25 -0800 (PST), 'Tilman Brock-Hesse' via
SpatiaLite Users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> has someone managed to build a rasterlite rl2sniff binary on windows
> amd64?
>
> I have a cygwin/osgeo installation and am finding myself in "library
> hell". Cannot get installable packages for some libraries under
> cygwin64.
>
> So - did someone sucessfully compile for windows amd64 with cygwin
> or,
> idealy, could the rasterlite2-team publish a rl2sniff binary at
> http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/rasterlite2-win-amd64/ ?

Hi Tilman,

cygwin is nowadays somewhat antiquate, and I strongly
suspect that it still continues to be adopted by very
few developers in recent years.

a fairly superior and most widely adopted alternative
exists since many years that is MinGW, a porting for
Windows of the popular GCC c/c++ compiler.

MinGW is a fork derived from cygwin, but it's directly
based on native Win run-time support and does not requires
any middleware layer as cygwin does.
and MinGW is nicely supported by MSYS, a minimalistic
Linux-like shell supporting many of the most common
Linux commands make, vi, tar, cp, rm and alike.

you can find a fully detailed how-to guide about building
windows binaries on MSYS/MinGW from here:

http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/mingw32_how_to.html
http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/mingw64_how_to.html

> Also, cygwin "configure" runs so slow it really is a pain in
> the posterior.

running ./configure on MSYS is surely slower than
on Linux, but it's decently tolerable.
notice: the real performance killer on Windows is
usually the antivirus software, that very often
causes a barely tolerable I/O traffic, most notably
when continuously creating new executable files as
it usually happens when building a library from
sources.

bye Sandro