Experimental CMake?

GiuMas

Apr 24, 2015, 9:49:02 AM4/24/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com

Good day,

I was wondering if working on experimental CMake scripts for Spatialite-family libraries could be useful, in particular for the Windows-side where it could heavily relies on OSGeo4W binaries.

The CMake would require minimal changes to the projects code, and it is getting increasing popularity also for open-source projects: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8846020/open-source-project-that-uses-cmake

Cheers,
Giuseppe

a.fu...@lqt.it

Apr 24, 2015, 10:07:50 AM4/24/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hi Giuseppe,

if you are candidatting yourself for this task I'll be absolutely
glad to second your efforts :-)

just few additional considerations: I don't foresee any real
issue aboout spatialite itself.
anyway porting RasterLite2 would probably be much more complex,
because it depends on many libraries currently non supported
by OSGeo4W (and possibily really difficult to be compiled
under MSVC):
- xz / liblzma
- libjpeg-turbo
- openjpeg
- CharLS
- freetype
- fontctonfig
- pixman
- cairo

bye Sandro

Noel Frankinet

Apr 24, 2015, 10:15:44 AM4/24/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

A reliable and easy way to build all the required libraries with both VC and GCC would be a big plus. I've been struggling to build everything myself with a lot of tweaking.

Regards
Noël

Noël Frankinet
Strategis sprl
0478/90.92.54

GiuMas

Apr 24, 2015, 11:11:34 AM4/24/15
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I have actually started to look a bit into this. I took the easy way by starting with FreeXL, in fact it was easy to add CMake scripts for building the library (with an option to switch between static and dynamic outputs), the 2 examples, and the tests (although additional work is required for use them with CTest, although I am not sure that is required to mimic all the features in the Autotools scripts). It could be worthwhile to define the CMake approach with FreeXL, since it is a tiny library, then adopt the same approach for the other libraries.

About RasterLite2, I fully understand the Sandro's concerns. From a first quick survey:
- xz/lzma has issues with MSVC: http://sourceforge.net/p/lzmautils/discussion/708858/thread/5ea0391b/
- libjpeg-turbo seems to already use CMake: http://sourceforge.net/p/libjpeg-turbo/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/CMakeLists.txt
- openjpeg seems to already use CMake: https://code.google.com/p/openjpeg/source/browse/trunk/CMakeLists.txt
- CharLS seems to already use CMake: https://charls.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#CMakeLists.txt
- freetype and cairo are on the OSGeo4W list: http://download.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/x86/versions.html
- fontctonfig was attempted to add CMake scripts: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/fontconfig/2012-October/004425.html
- pixman: https://github.com/CMakePorts/cmake.pixman

I have not idea on how these libraries are related to the project main code, but I guess that some of them are for codecs that can be disabled if an MSVC-port is not available.

Have a nice day,
Giuseppe