Ancient Greek Language, Music, Gods and Goddesses --- Due Monday, April 14, 2008

Mr. Ulmer

Apr 6, 2008, 12:20:50 PM4/6/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
California History Social Science Standard 6.4.4:
"Explain the significance of Greek mythology to the everyday life of
people in the region and how Greek literature continues to permeate
our literature and language today, drawing from Greek mythology and
epics, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from Aesop's Fables."

Due: Monday, April 14, 2008.

Greek Language

Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
below. Practice repeating the phrases. Which one was the most
difficult and why? Which was the easiest to say and why? How does
this language sound to you?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/european_languages/languages/greek.shtml

1) Which one was the most difficult and why?

2) Which was the easiest to say and why?

3) How does this language sound to you? (is ti similar to other
languages you have heard?)

Ancient Greek Music

Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
below. Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
below.

http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/

1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one with
strings).

2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
like two flutes).

Ancient Greek Gods

Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
(4:1 paragraph)

http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/gods/explore/exp_set.html

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_gods_and_goddesses

http://www.wingedsandals.com/

1) 4:1 -

2) 4:1 -

3) 4:1 -

malay...@hotmail.com

Apr 6, 2008, 9:03:39 PM4/6/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
Alondra Ayala P.4 4/6/08

1:The most difficult phrase was I need help becase it was hard to
pernounce.
2:The easiest phrase was NAI which is yes because you just say "NE".
3:this languege is similar to spanish and english mixed together
because of how they sound.
1:The Aulos looks like two flutes stuck together and it sounds like if
you are playing a recorder.
2:The cithara looks like a guitar and is sounds like if you are
playing a guitar.

Ts: In greek they also belived in gods.
Cd:The first god is Zeus he is the weather control his most powerful
weapon is thunderbuult.
Cd:the second god is Apollo he is the god of sun,
truth,music,poetry,dance and healing.
Cd:The third god is Athena she is the god of war.She is also the god
of poetery and whool making.
Cd:theyhey are all gods of Ancient and probably modern days in Greek.
Cm:I think that Athena is the most important god because war goes on
recantly and they ask her for war to end or for there relitives in war
to be okay or come safely.
Cs:There are many gods in Greek compared to the gods I belive in.

jose montes

Apr 6, 2008, 11:08:56 PM4/6/08

On Apr 6, 11:20 am, "Mr. Ulmer" <mr.mikeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> California History Social Science Standard 6.4.4:
> "Explain the significance of Greek mythology to the everyday life of
> people in the region and how Greek literature continues to permeate
> our literature and language today, drawing from Greek mythology and
> epics, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from Aesop's Fables."
>
> Due: Monday, April 14, 2008.
>
> Greek Language
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Practice repeating the phrases.  Which one was the most
> difficult and why?  Which was the easiest to say and why?  How does
> this language sound to you?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/european_languages/languages/greek.shtml
>
> 1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
> The most difficult phrase to say was i'm sorry, I don't speak Greek because it was hard to pronounce and it was long.
> 2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
> The easiest phrase to say was yes because it was short and easy to pronounce
> 3) How does this language sound to you?  (is ti similar to other
> languages you have heard?)
> This language sounds wierd to me and hard to prononce.This language was hard beacuse I had never heard it before.
> Ancient Greek Music
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
> below.
>
> http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/
>
> 1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one with
> strings).
> The Aulos looks like some different kinds of guitars.They sound good and active.I would like to here the instrument when I have a lot of energy.
> 2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
> like two flutes).
> The Cithara looks like some kinds of flutes.Like if two of them are stuck together.They sound good and relaxing.I would like to hear the instruments whem I have a headache.
> Ancient Greek Gods
>
> Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
> and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
> (4:1 paragraph)
>
> http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/gods/explore/exp_set.html
>
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_gods_and_goddesses
>
> http://www.wingedsandals.com/
>
> 1) 4:1 -
> TS:Zeus is an important god in Greek history.
CD:In Greek mythology Zeus is known as the ruler of Mount
Olympus .
CD:Zeus is also known as the king of gods.
CD:Zeus most powerful weapon he has and uses is the thunderbolt.
CD:Zeus' parents were Cronos and Rhea.
CM:I think Zeus was an important god in Greek mythology.
CS:There are many god in Greek history.
> 2) 4:1 -
> TS:The second god I chose was Poseidon.
CD:In Greek mythology he is known as the god of the sea.
CD:HE is also the brother of Zeus and Hades.
CD:In some stories it was told that he was eaten by his father
Cronos.
CM:I think this is nasty in part of his father because I wouldn't
dare to eat my child if I had one.
CD:In Greek history Poseidon was also known as the " Earth Shaker"
and the "Father of many heroes."
CS:There are many gods in Greek history.
> 3) 4:1 -
TS:The last goddess I chose is Hera.
CD:In Greek mythology Hera is known as the goddess of woman and
motherhood.
CD:She is also the wife and sister of Zeus.
CD:Hera is known as the queen of gods.
CD:Hera's are comanding the winds and watching over women and
motherhood.
CM:I think Hera is a good goddess.
CS:There are many goddesses in Greek history.

malay...@hotmail.com

Apr 7, 2008, 11:04:40 PM4/7/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
Alondra Ayala P.4 4/6/08
1:The most difficult phrase was I need help becase it was hard to
pernounce.
2:The easiest phrase was NAI which is yes because you just say "NE".
3:this languege is similar to spanish and english mixed together
because of how they sound.
1:The Aulos looks like two flutes stuck together and it sounds like
if
you are playing a recorder.
2:The cithara looks like a guitar and is sounds like if you are
playing a guitar.

Ts: In greek they also belived in gods.
Cd:The first god is Zeus he is the weather control his most powerful
weapon is thunderbuult.
Cd:Zeus was said to be seating on a throne and holding a thunderbult.
Cd:Zeus was celibrated by having an an olimpic game .
Cd:In the celibration if you win you would and sometimes still win a
vase and it had something special inside.
Cd:They celibrate the olimpic games every four years.
Cm:I think they should hold the games more often.
Cs:They belive in gods like us.

Ts:The second god from greek is Athena.
Cd:The second god is Athena she is the god of war.
Cd:She is the god of war and she wears like an war uniform.
Cd:She is belived to be in the patron of city.
Cd:Athena was belived to be the dauther of Zeus.
Cm:I think in ancient places they had a god for everthing.
Cs:It's weird how just one just one starts a new religion.

Ts:The third god is Hephaistos.
Cd:Hephaistos is the god of fire.
Cd:Hephaistos is belived to be the god of fire becausehe was lame and
he was thrown out of mount Olympus.
Cd:He was maried to the godess Aphrodite.
Cd:His symbols are him having a twisted foot.
Cm:I think that if a god wants to marry someone it has to be a godess.
Cs:In every person I know has a religion.

ivyf...@yahoo.com

Apr 8, 2008, 9:18:38 PM4/8/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
1) The one that was hard is "I need help" because first that I would
say alot and it's a long saying and hard 2 say.

2) The easiest to say was "yes" because it's short and it's sounds
like another word that i say which is "naw".

3) It sounds like french to me.

Ancient Greek Music

1) It looks like a flute but instead it's two of them and it's shaped
like elephant tusks. It's still sounds like a flute and a little like
trumpet.

2) It looks like a heart and a guitar and a little like a bow and
arrow. It also still sounds like a guitar.

Ancient Greek Gods

1) TS: Aphrodite is the goddess of beauty and love.
CD: She loves the god of war Ares but is married with Hephaistos.
CD: Her symbol is when she is seen with birds mostly with doves.
CD: Also seen with the god Eras, the god of love.
CD: Aphrodite promised Paris the most beautiful women in the world.
CM: I think it was wrong what Aphrodite did for having than affair.
CS: Aphrodite is one of my favorites.

2) TS: Artemis is the goddess of hunting, wild animals, wilderness,
and the moon.
CD: She is the daughter of Zues and Leto and is the twin sister of
Apollo.
CD: She was born on the island Delos.
CD: Artemis was born first.
CD: Her Roman name is Diana.
CM: Artemis is another goddess that i like.
CS: Artemis is also the goddess of childhood and rites of
passage.

3) TS: Hera is the goddess of women, motherhood, and marriage queen of
the gods.
CD: Hera is the sister and wife of Zues.
CD: Her mother was Rhea and father was Cronus.
CD: Her powers were commanding the wind and watching over women and
motherhood.
CD: Her weapons were prophesy and trickery.
CM: Hera was a very jealous goddess.
CS: There were many myths about her being jealous.

Anthony Garcia

Apr 8, 2008, 9:56:24 PM4/8/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History

1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
I'm sorry, I don't speak Greek was difficult because it has a long
pronunciation.
2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
Yes is the easiest to say because the pronunciation is ne.
3) How does this language sound to you?
It sounds like if its French, it has the French accent.
Ancient Greek Music
1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds.
It sounds like a clarinet.
2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds.
It sounds like a banjo.
Ancient Greek Gods
1) 4:1 - TS: Ares was not a popular god.
CD: Ares was the god of war.
CD: Not many festivals were dedicated to him.
CD: The only festival dedicated to him was to make a
sacrifice.
CD: Greek soldiers wore bronze armor to honor Ares.
CM: Ares was not a god that everyone knew like Zeus.
CS: Ares well known dad was popular his name was Zeus.
2) 4:1 - TS: Zeus was the king of all gods.
CD: He was also known to make the weather.
CD: His symbol was a lightning and his throne.
CD: Many festivals were held in honor of Zeus.
CD: For example the Olympics were made in honor of Zeus.
CM: I think Zeus was a good god.
CS: Zeus was a popular god.
3) 4:1 - TS: Hephaistos was the god of fire, volcanoes, and
blacksmiths and craft workers.
CD: Hephaistos symbols were his tools.
CD: He became god when he found out he had talent in
making pots.
CD; The Chalkeia and Hephaisteia were festivals honored
to Hephaistos.
CD: Hephaisteia was the torch race.
CM: I think this was dangers because if you fall you
could get burned.
CS: In conclusion, Hephaistos was a cool god in my
opinion.

rldnc...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2008, 8:06:35 PM4/9/08

On Apr 6, 9:20 am, "Mr. Ulmer" <mr.mikeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> California History Social Science Standard 6.4.4:
> "Explain the significance of Greek mythology to the everyday life of
> people in the region and how Greek literature continues to permeate
> our literature and language today, drawing from Greek mythology and
> epics, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from Aesop's Fables."
>
> Due: Monday, April 14, 2008.
>
> Greek Language
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Practice repeating the phrases.  Which one was the most
> difficult and why?  Which was the easiest to say and why?  How does
> this language sound to you?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/european_languages/languages/greek.shtml
>
> 1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
> The hardest one was i need help.
> 2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
> The easiest one was yes.
> 3) How does this language sound to you?  (is ti similar to other
> languages you have heard?)
> For me it sounds like chinese.
> Ancient Greek Music
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
> below.
>
> http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/
>
> 1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one with
> strings).
> The aulossounds like a flute and looks like one too.
> 2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
> like two flutes).
> The cithara looks like a guitar and sounds like one too.
> Ancient Greek Gods
>
> Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
> and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
> (4:1 paragraph)
>
> http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/gods/explore/exp_set.html
>
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_gods_and_goddesses
>
> http://www.wingedsandals.com/
>
> 1)4:1 -Zous was very important to greece.He was the king of gods.He could control the weather.In greece he was called cloud gatherer and thunderer.
> For me he is a very important god.And that is who Zous was.
> 2) 4:1 -Poseidon was a greek god.He was the god of the sea and horses.He was also the brother of Zous.He was known for his abd temper.
> And that is why poseidon is important to greece.
> 3) 4:1 -Dionysos was very important to greece.He was the god of high spirits.He was also the god of emotions.He also did drama.And that is why he is important.

EPen...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2008, 2:59:12 AM4/12/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
Erica Pena

> [...]
> this language sound to you?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/european_languages/languages/greek.shtml
>
> 1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
> The most difficult Greek words for me to say wre "Where is the toilet,please"because the pronuonciation was hard for me to say. The reason for this is because I have not heard it before,so it is unfamiliar to me. Also,because Greeks come from Greece and so they have a different accent tan I do.This makes it easier for them to speak their own language and harder for me to talk im Greek. Finally, these words were the most difficult words for me to say because they were the longest group of word that I had to say in Greek. This made it harder for me to remember all the words.
> 2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
> The easiet word for me to say in greek was"Yes"because it was short and fast to say. Also,because this word sounded familiar to me and the pronounciation was easy to say because I have heard similiar words but in a different language such as English and Spanish.
> 3) How does this language sound to you?  (is ti similar to other
> languages you have heard?)
> This language sounds different from other languages I speak,but at the same time,Greek is similiar to both English an Spanish.For example, Greek words that are different from other languages I have heard are "I need help" .Greek words that are similar to other languages I know are"My name is...". Some Greek words are similar to English and Spanish but others are not.
> Ancient Greek Music
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
> below.
>
> http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/
>
> 1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one with
> strings).
> The Aulos looks like two flutes or clairinets stuck together to make one insturment.The Aulos sounds like a flute being played by a profesional musician.It also sounds like a clairinet and alitle like an accordian.
> 2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
> like two flutes).
> The Cithara looks like a guitar with two handles on it. It also looks like an Arp because it is liyingh on the ground. This insturment sounds like a gutiar being played with bare hands.
> Ancient Greek Gods
>
> Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
> and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
> (4:1 paragraph)
>
> http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/gods/explore/exp_set.html
>
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_gods_and_goddesses
>
> http://www.wingedsandals.com/
>
> 1) 4:1 -
> TS:One of the most important godesses in Ancient Greece was Athena who was the godess of war,wisdom,pot-making, andwool-making.
CD:Athena was the daughter of Zeus and Metis,but Zeus was told that
any daughter that came from Metis would be more powerful than he was
so he swallowed Metis in order to not let Athena live.
CD:Zeus started getting huge headaches so he asked a friend to cut his
head open.As soon as his head was cut,Athena worked her way out.
CD:Athens build a temple in the Athenian Acropolis in honor of Athena
because she was assosiated with them.
CD:A festival named the Panathenaia was held in Athens in honor of
Athena. In this festival,any person could participate,including slaves
and wemen.
CM:I think Athena was really appreciated in Athens because she was hte
main godess there.
CS:In conclusion,Athena was really important,especially in Ahtens.
> 2) 4:1 -
> TS:Posiden was another god in Greek mythology who was brothers with Zeus and Hades.
CD:He lives in mount Olympus and he is the god of fire and
earthquakes.
CD:He is said to be married to the godess Amphrodite,who is th godess
of love and beauty,even though he has had many love affairs with other
women.
CD:There are many different stories about him. One story is about him
getting eaten by his father Cronos.Others talk about how his moter
saves him by feeding Cronnos a horse wrapped inside a blanket.
CD:When Posiden gets furious, it is said that he will cause
earthquakes. Posidon is also known as "Earth shaker" and "Father of
many heroes".
CM:I think it is not fair that Posidon gets eaten by his father
because he deserves to live like any other god or godess.
CS:In conclusion,Posidon was a god that was treated unfairly by his
father.
> 3) 4:1
TS: The most important god in Greece was Zeus who was the king of the
gods.
CD:Zeus was in charge of controlling the weather, so his most powerful
weapon was the thunderbolt.When lightning struct, Greeks believed that
Zeus was there.
CD:Zeus would get mad at you if you treated a visitor badley because
he beleived in hospitality.
CD:Zeus's father was afraid his children would kill him,so he ate all
his kids exept for Zeus because his wife played a trick on him and
made him eat a rock instead of Zeus.
CD:Zeus lived in Mount Ida in Crete because that was where his mother
hid him in order for him not to be eaten by his father.
CM:I think Zeus should not be treated in that way because he didn't
get raised by his family when he was young.
CS:In conclusion, Zeus was a powerful god who was not raised by his
family.

DBL.BRIA...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2008, 5:47:20 PM4/12/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History

On Apr 6, 9:20 am, "Mr. Ulmer" <mr.mikeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> California History Social Science Standard 6.4.4:
> "Explain the significance of Greek mythology to the everyday life of
> people in the region and how Greek literature continues to permeate
> our literature and language today, drawing from Greek mythology and
> epics, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from Aesop's Fables."
>
> Due: Monday, April 14, 2008.
>
> Greek Language
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Practice repeating the phrases.  Which one was the most
> difficult and why?  Which was the easiest to say and why?  How does
> this language sound to you?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/european_languages/languages/greek.shtml
>
> 1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
> The most difficult was the one that said where is the toliet please because it was long and it saisd it really fast and i could bearly understand it.
> 2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
> the easiest word was" nai" which is "yes" in greece it was easy because it was short and simple and it is just like saying "ne ".
> 3) How does this language sound to you?  (is ti similar to other
> languages you have heard?)
>
> Ancient Greek Music
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
> below.
>
> http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/
>
> 1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one with
> strings).
> the aulos looks likes flutes and it has two long tubes that look like flutes that are put together by a thing which you put near your mouth and blow it sounds like alot of flutews playing and it is really lound.
> 2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
> like two flutes).The cithara looks like a guiter in a smaller verision it sounds like a guiter to in hangs the same rythem as the gutier .
>
> Ancient Greek Gods
>
> Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
> and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
> (4:1 paragraph)
>
> http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/gods/explore/exp_set.html
>
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_gods_and_goddesses
>
> http://www.wingedsandals.com/
>
> 1) 4:1 -The frist i choose was zeus because he is the king of gods. Zeus can controll weather . Zeus had a powerful weapon which was his thunder bult. The things to tell that some things tell that it is him is that he is seated on a throne or he would have a a thunder bult.

DBL.BRIA...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2008, 6:07:44 PM4/12/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History

On Apr 6, 9:20 am, "Mr. Ulmer" <mr.mikeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) 4:1 - The olympic games were decaited to zeus. That is the god Zeus .
>
> 2) 4:1 -The other godess i chose was athena. Athena was the godes f wisdom. The people that really worshiped her was the anthens. She also the godess of pot making and wool making. She inveted the chariot. She even built the first ship . The symbols to tell her by are the owl for wisdom or her helmet and or her spear for war. Athena is godess i would worship because of wisdom and strength.
>
> 3) 4:1 -The other godess i chose was hera the queen of gods she is married to zeus. Hera is the godess of marrige and weddings. Her symbols are a high class crown. The irth place of hera is to believe in samos. The heraia games are decaited to hera. That is the godess Hera.

lourde...@att.net

Apr 13, 2008, 3:22:19 PM4/13/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
Magdalena Montes p.4

"Explain the significance of Greek mythology to the everyday life of
people in the region and how Greek literature continues to permeate
our literature and language today, drawing from Greek mythology and
epics, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from Aesop's Fables."

Due: Monday, April 14, 2008.

Greek Language

Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
below.  Practice repeating the phrases.  Which one was the most
difficult and why?  Which was the easiest to say and why?  How does
this language sound to you?

1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
The one that wass the most difficult for me to say was saying Im
sorry i dont speak
greek, because it was very long and they pronounced it very fast to
understand for
me.

2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
The one that was esiest for me to say was saying yes, because it was
very short
and you can pronounce it the way it looks.

3) How does this language sound to you?  (is it similar to other
languages you have
heard?)
This language sounds very difficult to say and it does mot sound like
a language
that I have hedard before.

Ancient Greek Music

Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
below.  Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
below.

1) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one with
strings).
The cithara looks very odd and it has an odd shape, it reminds me of
the guitar
because of how it looks and how it sounds but it sounds like a guitar
off tune.

2) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
like two flutes).
The aulos sounds very much like the flute but it has and odd shape
and figure
because it looks like you have to tape it to your face and its odd
because its like to
flutes in your mouth instead of one.

Ancient Greek Gods

Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
(4:1 paragraph)

1)TS: Athena is the goddes of war and cunning wisdom.
CD:Athena is also known as the goddes of pottery making and wool
working.
CD:Athena invented the bridle, chariot and she built the first ship.
CD:In greece almost every town had a sanctuary dedicated to Athena.
CD:Athena is associated with the city.
CM::Athena is a very important goddess, because she has done so much
for
greece and she has became a very big hero like for greece.
CS:So in conclusion Athena is one of the most important gods/goddess.

2)CD:Aphrodite is the goddess of beauty and love.
CD:Aphrodite was born from the sea. She came ashore near Paphos on
Cyprus.
CD:Aphrodite is the wife of Hephaistos.
CD:Aphrodite may have been the wife of Hephaistos but she was
really in
love with the god of war which is Ares.
CD:Aphrodite's symbol is being accompanied by birds, paticurally
doves,
geese, and sparrows.
CM:Aphrodite is a very important goddess and she has done so much
deserve/gain the right to be one of those important god/goddess.
CS:So in conclusion Aphrodite is a very important goddess that has
done so
much for greece.

3)TS:Artemis was the goddess of childbirth, hunting, and archery.
CD:Arremis was also known to be the goddess of wild animals and
was
as living in the countryside.
CD:Arthemis has the ability to send plagues or sudden death to
mortals, but
she could heal them to.
CD:Artemis is the twin sister of apollo.
CD:Artemis' symbols are the bow and arrow, also wild animals.
CM:Artemis is a very interesting goddess and she has done so much
develope greece.

raide...@yahoo.com

Apr 13, 2008, 5:54:26 PM4/13/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History

Yvonne Ortega

> [...]
> below. Practice repeating the phrases. Which one was the most
> difficult and why? Which was the easiest to say and why? How does
> this language sound to you?
>
> 1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
> The most difficiult to say was the Where is the toilet please because it was said to fast and it wasn't clear enough to >understand.
> 2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
> The easiest to say was yes because it was only one word and I did understand that very clearly.
>
> 3) How does this language sound to you? (is ti similar to other
> languages you have heard?)
>This language sounds kind of similiar with some of the words because it sounds kind of like Spanish or Italian.I think this >because the saying or pronounciation was very similiar like.
> Ancient Greek Music
>
> 1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one with
> strings).
> The Aulos looks like a flute with two things to blow in. I think it sounds like a clarinet.
> 2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
> like two flutes).
> The cithara looks like a small harp with strings and things to hold the strings. I think it sounds like a guitar.
> Ancient Greek Gods
>
> 1) 4:1 -
> TS: The first god I choose is Hermes.
>CD: Hermes is the god of buisness, travel, weights, measures, and sports he was also the messenger.
>CM: I think he must have worked hard when he was a messenger.
>CD: Hermes stole Apollos cattle when he was first born, then he acted as if he was innocent.
>CD: Hermes was the patron of graveyards, herdsmen, thieves, and messengers.
>CD: He guided the souls of the dead to the under world.
>CS: In conclusion, I think Hermes was loyal to Zues since Zues was the king of all gods.
> 2) 4:1 -
> TS: The second goddess I choose is Artemis.
>CD: Artemis is the goddess of hunting, archery, and childbirth.
>CM: Artemis was not the best goddess for childbirth because she has no children of her own.
>CD: She is able to bring plagues to people and also heal them.
>CD: Artmeis was also the goddess of wild animals.
>CD: Artemis is the twin sister of Apollo.
>CS: In conclusion, I think Artemis was able to turn people into wild animals because she is the goddess of wild animals.
> 3) 4:1 -
>TS: Finally the last goddess I choose is Athena.
>CD: Athena was the goddess of war, cunnning wisdom, pot making, and wool working.
>CM: I think Athena was a good goddess because she invented important things to the Greeks.
>CD: Athena built the first ship and invented the chariot and the bridle.
>CD: Zues swalloed Metis before Athena was born.
>CD: Zues began to have headhaches and when Hephaisots opened his head, Athena was fully grown and dressed for batlle.
>CS: In conclusion, I think Athena was lucky to survive inside her father for almost of half of her life.

ErikMiranda

Apr 14, 2008, 12:16:22 AM4/14/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
Erik Miranda

On Apr 6, 9:20 am, "Mr. Ulmer" <mr.mikeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> California History Social Science Standard 6.4.4:
> "Explain the significance of Greek mythology to the everyday life of
> people in the region and how Greek literature continues to permeate
> our literature and language today, drawing from Greek mythology and
> epics, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from Aesop's Fables."
>
> Due: Monday, April 14, 2008.
>
> Greek Language
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Practice repeating the phrases.  Which one was the most
> difficult and why?  Which was the easiest to say and why?  How does
> this language sound to you?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/european_languages/languages/greek.shtml
>
> 1) Which one was the most difficult and why?
> The hardest one to remember is, Where is the toilet, please? because you have to remember all the words and it is hard to pronounce.
> 2) Which was the easiest to say and why?
> The easiest one to say is nai and it means yes because it is simple and easy to pronounce.
> 3) How does this language sound to you?  (is ti similar to other
> languages you have heard?)
> This language is like ones I heard before because it sounds chinese.
> Ancient Greek Music
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
> below.
>
> http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/
>
> 1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one with
> strings).
> it is two flutes connected and it kind of looks like it has horns and it sounds like a flute,horn and trumpet were put together.
> 2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that looks
> like two flutes).
> it is like a guitar except it a lot shorter and it has two peices of wood at the end.It sounds like strings being pulled on a guitar.
> Ancient Greek Gods
>
> Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
> and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
> (4:1 paragraph)
>
> http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/gods/explore/exp_set.html
>
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_gods_and_goddesses
>
> http://www.wingedsandals.com/
>
> 1) 4:1 -
> TS:In the greek religion Zeus was said to be king and ruler of all the gods of all the gods.
cd:They say that zeus was able to control the weather on the planet
earth.
cd:They say that his most powerful weapen was the thunder
bolt.
cd:They say when lightning hit hit earth it was a sign of
zeus.
cd:If you treated a stranger badly it would outrage
zeus.
cm:This why I think zeus was
great .
cs:This is some of the info on
zeus.
> 2) 4:1 -
> TS:Poseidon is said to be the ruler of the seven seas and the brother of zeus and hades. cd:He is one of the twelve olimpians. cd:In some of the stories he is said to be eaten by his father cronos.
cd:Poseidons weapon was the
trident.
cd:Poseidon was said to have many love affairs however he is said to
have married
amphitrite.
cm:This is why I think Poseidon is
great.
cs:This is some of the information on Poseidon ruler of the
seas.
> 3) 4:1 - TS:Hades is said to be the ruler of the underworld which is
like the
devil.
cd:Hades is the ruler of the underworld and keeps all the bad people
down
there.
cd:Hades is said to be married to Persephone which must be the goddess
of the
underworld.
cd:Hades is said to own the three headed dog that is named
cerberus.
cd:Hades has a brother named zues which is the king of all gods and a
other brother named poseidon which is the ruler
ofsea.
cm: I do not like hades because he is evil and not a good
god.
cs:This is some information on hades god of the underworld.

lucio....@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2008, 1:48:40 AM4/14/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History
1.The most difficult phrase to pronouce was I need help because it has
a weird pronouncation.

2.I believe that the easiest word to say is yes because it has the
shotest pronouncation.

3.This language for me would be very difficult to learn but yes it
does sound familiar like the original spanish which is from spain.

Ancient Greek music

1.It sort of looks like a harp but it has a different tone than a
harp, even though it looks more like a guitar.

2.Well the Cithara look like flutes but it has a higher pitch and tone
than a flute.

Ancient Greek Gods

1. TS:My first god to write about is "zeus".
CD:He is the king of gods,he controled the weather.
CD:Some of his nicknames given to him was "cloud gather" and
"thunderer".
CD:One of his most powerful weapons was his thunderbolt.
CM:I think that he was a very powerful man in order to have been
known for many presences on earth.
CS:This describes the primary information that you need to know
about zeus.

2.TS:My second god to write about is "poseidon".
CD:He is the god of sea and horses.
CD:He was zeus' brother and was known for his bad temper.

Marcela Martinez

Apr 14, 2008, 10:07:33 PM4/14/08
to Southeast Middle School LAUSD 6th Grade World History

On Apr 6, 9:20 am, "Mr. Ulmer" <mr.mikeul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> California History Social Science Standard 6.4.4:
> "Explain the significance of Greek mythology to the everyday life of
> people in the region and how Greek literature continues to permeate
> our literature and language today, drawing from Greek mythology and
> epics, such as Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, and from Aesop's Fables."
>
> Due: Monday, April 14, 2008.
>
> Greek Language
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Practice repeating the phrases.  Which one was the most
> difficult and why?  Which was the easiest to say and why?  How does
> this language sound to you?
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/european_languages/languages/greek.shtml
>
> 1) Which one was the most difficult and why? The most difficult is i need help it is hard because it is a small sentence and it takes a long time to say it.
>
> 2) Which was the easiest to say and why?The easiest to say is yes it is easy becaus it sounds like 2 letters only.
>
> 3) How does this language sound to you?  (is ti similar to other
> languages you have heard?)this language soundlike spanish the only diffrence is that it means something diffrent.
>
> Ancient Greek Music
>
> Directions: Turn the volume up on your computer and go to the link
> below.  Listen to each of the two instruments and write about them
> below.
>
> http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agm/
>
> 1) Describe how the Aulos looks and sounds (it's the one that
> looks like two flutes.).The Aulos looks like two flutes itsound like a claranet and like a train wistel
>
> 2) Describe how the Cithara looks and sounds (it's the one that has
> strings).it is like a harp it sounds like a guitar
>
> Ancient Greek Gods
>
> Directions: Use the following three websites to research Greek gods
> and goddesses, and then choose three gods/goddesses to write about
> (4:1 paragraph)
>
> http://www.ancientgreece.co.uk/gods/explore/exp_set.html
>
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_gods_and_goddesses
>
> http://www.wingedsandals.com/
>
> 1) 4:1 - T.S.Zeus is a god of the greek gods.
C.D.He contrals the weather a poet called him 'cloud-
gatherer and the 'thunderer'.
C.M.Zeus is said to rule the gads but there are many
other gods that look more powerful.
C.D.Every god has a power wepon and Zeus's wepon is a
thunderbolt.
C.D.Greeks belive that when a lightningbolt hit earth
it ment that Zeus was presant.
C.D.Zeus may get outraged if you treat a guest or
stranger badly that is why he is concerned with hospitality.
C.S.So Zeus is an important god he is also a kind god.

> 2) 4:1 -T.S.There are many Greek gods and Goddesses and here are some of them.
C.D.Many of the gods are named by many things for
example Zeus = Jupiter and Aphroditel = Venus.
C.M.THey may be named by plants but why cant they be
named by flowers.
C.D.Greek names are better known to english speeking
people than Greek names.
C.D.It was thought by the greeks that each god ruled a
certain enviorment an certain people.
C.D.There are 12 Olympian Gods they each have a power
for example love, marriage,war, ect.
C.S.Each god is special and has diffrent powers and
helps Greeks in there own way.

> 3) 4:1 T.S.There are many mythes in Greekand they teach maany lessons.
C.D.There are many mythes about gods and how gods help
Greeks.
C.D.Many stories are about how sesons were made for
exanple the story Demeter and Persephone.
C.M.Many stories try to explain the world easier.
C.D.The mythes talk about heroes and love and mabye how a
god was made.
C.S. so that is what mythes are made for.