Pickup Growth

Joe Sullivan

May 30, 2018, 1:04:52 PM5/30/18
to soupa...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

    While I fully expect 7’s tonight, the turnout for pickup needs to improve here are a few suggestions that may help us with retention of players

1.) Stay Positive:  if you don’t have anything nice to say to someone don’t say anything at all or at least try for like a 4:1 ratio of positive to “constructive criticism”.

2.) Reduce Confusion:  It is often counterproductive to say a lot on the line, especially to new ppl.  If someone asks you something by all means share your knowledge, otherwise just let ppl figure it out.  If you feel you must say something please keep it very simple and short.  Many new players feel intimidated and feel like they don’t belong when being told too many things at once.  We need everyone we can get just to be able to play 7’s

3.) Involvement:  if you notice a new player hasn’t touched the disc in a while, make it your business to get them the disc.  The rewards will be reaped later.  And a personal pet peeve of mine is when a new player is about to pick up the disc and someone in the backfield shouts “leave it”.  Please don’t do that.  Let the new guy have some fun.

-Sully

P.S. Spirit of the Game is a rule in our sport.
  1. Spirit of the Game: Ultimate relies upon a spirit of sportsmanship that places the responsibility for fair play on the player. Highly competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of mutual respect among competitors, adherence to the agreed upon rules, or the basic joy of play. Protection of these vital elements serves to eliminate unsportsmanlike conduct from the Ultimate field. Such actions as taunting opposing players, dangerous aggression, belligerent intimidation, intentional infractions, or other win-at-all-costs behavior are contrary to the spirit of the game and must be avoided by all players.

Zach Zegzdryn

May 30, 2018, 1:40:49 PM5/30/18
to Joe Sullivan, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
I agree with everything you said Sully. When I first started back in Juneau a few years ago I freaking hated how many times people were trying to tell me how to play. I knew it was all with good intention, but I almost stopped coming because of how often people were telling me what to do. I also think it's important to get new players the disc early and often, because it makes you want to keep playing even if more turnovers happen. And as a final aside, I despise it when a handler absolutely has to pick up a disc in the backfield. Let any and everyone snag it, because worst case scenario we get scored on in a pickup game.

Thanks,
Zach